Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-02-2014, 16:45
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Thank you for the update Liz. I for one would be willing to contribute to a Kickstarter campaign or something similar.
Me too . I saw the film a couple of years ago, it's very interesting and quite funny. My husband who is not a mega fan enjoyed it too . I think anyone who watches it with an open mind could really enjoy it. All the best Liz and Kurt
Old 14-02-2014, 18:27
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
we know there is an audience for well-made music films.
I've probably seen more music documentaries about bands I'm not a fan of than those I am! A good documentary is an artwork in itself, and I loved Dig, The great Hip Hop Hoax, Anvil and others despite not knowing much about the acts. The Manics have an interesting story, and a good doc (as I hope and believe this will be) can achieve that!
Old 14-02-2014, 18:58
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
The official answer to the question of whether No Manifesto will appear ever is that yes, it will appear eventually in some form. ...
Thanks for the info!
*keeps fingers crossed*
Old 30-05-2014, 13:55
I live to fall asleep

Is there any chance of an upload of an outtake or unused scene like done a few years ago? Just watched the Further Away video again, love that!
Old 30-05-2014, 15:43
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Regardless of what the users here believe about the film having no appeal to anyone who isn't already a Manics fan
Should probably read “some users here believe”, considering the majority of this thread is very supportive and there is still, evidently, considerable interest.
Old 30-05-2014, 15:58
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I've no way of knowing if this will work, but I reckon if we can get "Futurology" to number 1, it might have good momentum for this film to be looked into.
Would it be too much to ask just how much of the fees the film has been saddled with? Given that Kickstarter has been ruled out a couple of pages ago.
Yes it will appear.
Elizabeth, for a further bit of leverage from the company, have you pieced together a possible live album tie-in?
Or are you finished with the project and doing other things now.
Have you made anything with your camcorder since finishing No Manifesto, or would it undo all the fragile negotiations if it was made public?
Old 02-06-2014, 16:42
Freed from the century

apologies if this has already bee explored, but if financing is the problem for the music couldn't we do a pledge type deal?

for those not in the know I know most will be so again apologies) you 'pledge' money for a project - usually a film or album etc. No money is paid until/unless the target is reached. then, once the project finance is realised, the production begins (I know the footage and production for this has already been started but the idea remains the same) the pledges are all collected.

If sony want x amount to have music in the film lets get the x required from y number of fans

as an example, there are 2870 members on here - some will no longer post or not be interested/have funds to be able to participate but say half are that's 1435 people, at a fiver each that's £7175, say a tenner each that's £14,350, say some put a fiver ad come a tenner then in the middle of both numbers. I know that's really simplistic but with the size ad 'rabidness' of the fanbase I'm sure we could get the funding

Last edited by andy; 02-06-2014 at 16:46.
Old 02-06-2014, 16:46
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
apologies if this has already bee explored, but if financing is the problem for the music couldn't we do a pledge type deal?

for those not in the know I know most will be so again apologies) you 'pledge' money for a project - usually a film or album etc. No money is paid until/unless the target is reached. then, once the project finance is realised, the production begins (I know the footage and production for this has already been started but the idea remains the same) the pledges are all collected.

If sony want x amount to have music in the film lets get the x required from y number of fans

as an example, there are 2870 members on here - some will no longer post or not be interested/have funds to be able to participate but say half are that's 1435 people, at a fiver each that's £7175, say a tenner each that's £14,350, say some put a fiver ad come a tenner then in the middle of both numbers. I know that's really simplistic but with the size ad 'rabidness' of the fanbase I'm sure we could get the funding
sorry just realised SOS above noted kickstarter/pledges etc has been ruled out
Old 12-07-2014, 18:00
I live to fall asleep

With another new album out by the band now would be a great time to get this film out. Maybe release a few exclusive outtakes or deleted scenes to drum up talk and interest? I so need to see this and have been saying this for....damn, 8 years now
Old 12-07-2014, 18:03
Administrator

It's not talk and interest they need from fans, it's funding.
Old 12-07-2014, 18:36
Under neon loneliness

Relevant post:

Quote:
As for taking funds online, we have not done that yet because after consulting with crowdfunding professionals, we determined that we simply do not have the resources to mount a crowdfunding campaign that would raise a sufficient amount of money for the release, and obviously, we're not going to take money from anyone until we're certain that we can use it to deliver the final product. We intend to do a crowdfunding campaign when it becomes appropriate. In the mean time, we are continuing to raise money for the film via other channels.

This film will not under any circumstances be released without music.
I'm still a bit baffled by this idea. Surely it's somewhat presumptuous to assert the film will appeal to non-fans if the record label aren't behind a product which is ready for market... but the fact is Manics fans are notorious for getting out and supporting Manics-related products. See the wealth of tat already produced about the band (not implying this is tat, simply there's plenty out there).

The primary advantage of a conventional release over crowd-funding is word of mouth, yes? But word of mouth isn't guaranteed. There's at least a small market ready and waiting here, but even in the community I imagine interest will dwindle as time goes on. If the same market that keeps the band afloat financially can't get enough funding together... does that not speak fairly definitively about the commercial viability of the project?
Old 12-07-2014, 20:24
Administrator

I don't think it has much to do with whether the record label are behind it or not because of quality. My guess is, I think Elizabeth said, that kickstarter wasn't going to be sufficient. FD is a pretty small market when it comes to donations to get a film out, afterall.
Old 12-07-2014, 20:32
I live to fall asleep

What is it that the money is needed for? It looks like the film is essentially made? So presumably it's rights, distribution, marketing and all that sort of thing? Which presumably needs label support if it's going to be either practical or profitable? I'm assuming the producers have/would have approached Nicky directly for some support if they thought it would help.
Old 12-07-2014, 20:38
Administrator

It's the rights to the music.
Old 12-07-2014, 20:45
I live to fall asleep

I'm not trying to be facetious here, but surely this was something that was considered when they decided to make a film about a rock band? Did something change that meant the rights became more expensive, or did they not initially plan to use any music in the film or something?