Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-07-2010, 21:10
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
I understand, but if you were to end up distributing via digital means, surely that would reduce the cost in that department at a later stage, especially if you are having to stump up more cash for the rights than previously expected?

Either way, I hope you get there in the end. It'd be nice to see the film as it seems an endeavour of absolute love.
Regarding digital distribution, we're not ruling it out, but we're not making any distribution decisions right now because we can't distribute the film by any means until the rights are paid for. Once the rights are paid for, many distribution options open up including some that come with their own funding attached. We will be making our distribution decisions when we have a clearer picture of what those options are.

To clarify: The problem is not actually that we're being asked to pay an unreasonable amount for the rights. The problem is that we weren't expecting to have to come up with the money to pay for the rights until after we'd released the film. We had a handshake agreement with Sony that they would allow us to release the film and then pay for the music rights out of the film's income, but because of the economy and the bad state of the music industry, they changed their minds about this and now want the money up front.

Thank you for your suggestions and good wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
I'd have thought that Sony would have been glad for someone to have made an incredible film promoting one of their artists to a massive audience. How foolish of me
And me!
Old 28-07-2010, 21:39
Freed from the century

Oh and sorry for the double post but I'm on a phone &can't edit the above, but to Deets, we are looking into the legal questions involved in soliciting donations. We will of course let the forum know ASAP if such a campaign is feasible!
Old 28-07-2010, 22:11
Builder of routine

fantastic! I'm looking forward to hearing anything from you in this thread if it involves progress in these issues
Old 28-07-2010, 22:14
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Oh and sorry for the double post but I'm on a phone &can't edit the above, but to Deets, we are looking into the legal questions involved in soliciting donations. We will of course let the forum know ASAP if such a campaign is feasible!
Can you not raise money via a pre-order method?
e.g. Offer fans the opportunity to pre-order a 'package' in which they will eventually receive a ticket to a small-scale premiere, a DVD, poster, and exclusive deleted scenes etc? I'd pay for that.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 28-07-2010, 22:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Can you not raise money via a pre-order method?
e.g. Offer fans the opportunity to pre-order a 'package' in which they will eventually receive a ticket to a small-scale premiere, a DVD, poster, and exclusive deleted scenes etc? I'd pay for that.
I'm guessing the 'legal questions' Elizabeth refers to may relate to the possibility of being sued if they launch such an appeal and still don't manage to release the film...
Old 28-07-2010, 22:42
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Inconspicuous View Post
I'm guessing the 'legal questions' Elizabeth refers to may relate to the possibility of being sued if they launch such an appeal and still don't manage to release the film...
Then we get refunded. Piece of piss.

Old 28-07-2010, 22:44
Freed from the century

Quote:
Not even remotely a piece of piss, sorry. More like, very complicated, a huge hassle, and something on which we'd be likely to lose a load of money that we don't have.

We've looked into this, and sadly, at this time it is not affordable or practical for us.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Well I'd want to be very sure about that if I was in her position.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Not even remotely a piece of piss, sorry. More like, very complicated, a huge hassle, and something on which we'd be likely to lose a load of money that we don't have.

We've looked into this, and sadly, at this time it is not affordable or practical for us.

ah, shit. Idlewild made it look so simple

Old 29-07-2010, 08:11
I live to fall asleep

I'd happily donate a few quid to help this get released. I've been eager for about 6 years to see this since first reading discovering a trailer for it in 2004 (which was about 20 mins long!). It's frustrating for all, especially the film makers. I also would have thought Sony would have helped out a bit considering its about a band on their label who also have a new album out very soon and huge tour. It's a sad crazy world we live in.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:31
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestivate View Post
Is it going to be in 3D ?
I'm not sure I like the idea of Nicky popping out at me (and I mean in the 3D tense, not the Janet Jackson way...not that I'd want that either )
Old 29-07-2010, 10:53
Knowlede Is Power

Sorry to be so up front, but can you tell us how much you need...or would you rather not?
Old 29-07-2010, 12:21
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicbill View Post
if you got a euro from every MSP fan, would that do it?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 29-07-2010, 12:35
Doors slowly closing

My Friend Terry Tibbs could lend you a Tenner!

Old 29-07-2010, 14:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
Manners! I guarantee they want it out there even more than you do.
Sorry if a bit of swearing offends.

I realise that there's probably a huge amount of unseen legal bollocks to attend to in the background when all you want to do is make a film (and I know that you already know all this) but if this film never gets released it'll be a massive shame, especially taking into account the amount of filming that has taken place, the access you had to the band/how cooperative they've been and all the interviews with the fans etc. I haven't read all of this thread but I presume you've ben in touch with the likes of Hall or Nothing and Sony? I'm stunned that nobody with a bit of financial clout or a decent set of lawyers that could help can't see the worth there would be in releasing this.