Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Journal For Plague Lovers now?
I still love it as much as I did originally 53 51.96%
It's grown even better with each new listen 43 42.16%
It hasn't held up to repeat listens 4 3.92%
Sorry, but I still don't get anything out of it 2 1.96%
I still haven't heard JFPL 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-10-2009, 09:38
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse In The Bathtub View Post
All is Vanity (crap/silly lyrics).
wah--?????
It was one of the lyrics Nicky was able to explain quite fully in that NME interview thingy. Not silly at all.

Unlike that one in the first song about the dwarf and his cockerel....!
Old 14-10-2009, 10:32

Piece plus Master.
Old 14-10-2009, 14:16
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_soft_machine View Post
wah--?????
It was one of the lyrics Nicky was able to explain quite fully in that NME interview thingy. Not silly at all.

Unlike that one in the first song about the dwarf and his cockerel....!
I can't remember the NME interview too well. I find All is Vanity's lyrics a bit childish and immature to be honest. To me it's Richey's "purity" obsession to the fore and it's all very dull.All the stuff about no choice, no freedom.His opinions and beliefs obviously, but they're ones that I just find very silly.

Being able to deal with uncertainty and choice is part of being an adult, and that song seems to emphasise how childish Richey could be.Maybe I like to see him in a better light, I don't know.

I must be alone though as nobody else I know who has the album has anything but positive stuff to say about All is Vanity, so it literally is just me!
Old 14-10-2009, 14:30
I live to fall asleep

Love it, listen to at least one song pretty much every day from it.
Old 14-10-2009, 14:38
Builder of routine

I've pretty much stopped.

Last edited by Slideling; 17-01-2011 at 14:43.
Old 14-10-2009, 14:49
Footprint of history

I still like it a lot. It's not my favourite album of the year but according to lastfm it appears to be the second most listened to album in the last six months which was released this year (fourth overall). And I have left it on my mp3 player a lot longer than other albums. And I listen to it at the gym a lot.

I think I've failed to notice until recently how much I appreciate it and how often I've played it which is interesting. I never realised I could underrate an album by my favourite band!
Old 14-10-2009, 15:26
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

still love it and still listen to it a lot. One thing I have found myself doing though is normally i listen to the manics in shuffle on my ipod but i still have to listen to JFPL as whole

JUST DIVINE BRILLIANCE
Old 14-10-2009, 18:08
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Did anyone ever find out why in Peeled Apples Nicky took Richey's 'window dummy' and replaced it by a phrase that previously never existed? Is there any meaning whatsoever to 'shop work dummy'? It's the new Underdogs edit for me. That and the rendering of JCEQT's second verse as nonsense. Don't ever touch Richey's lyrics again, Nicky.
Yeah, initially when I saw the unedited lyrics, I was a bit peeved as I thought they (probably mostly Nicky, but I'm sure James had a hand in it too) left out some really key bits of the lyrics...JCEQT and WLW are two key examples. However, I've since come to realize that they must have had their reasons for using the verses they did - probably had a lot to do with fitting the words into the song as well as what worked for James when it came to singing the tunes. It also stands to reason that they both typically edited his lyrics down pre-95 anyway so it's not like he could have expected them to keep all the lyrics for a song such as WLW in it's entirety. Still, WLW remains, IMO, the worst edit on the album. But, as I said, Wire probably had his reasons for using those lines so who am I to question that?
As for the album as a whole, I still really love it! Not sure at this stage if it's one of their best, but I'm fairly confident that I will look back and judge it as such.
No it doesn't break any new musical ground, but it does do a hell of a great job in exploring a retro low-fi sound yet still remains loud and abrasive and honestly believe them when they say that's the kind of thing Richey would have wanted for those lyrics.
Personally, I prefer the Manics when they play aggressive, harder sounding music with the occassional lapse into an accoustic softer sound so for me, JFPL represents a good piece of work from them.
Old 14-10-2009, 18:09

I still love it although I must say I did over play it and Im having a little break for it at the moment. On saying that its still in my car radio. Must get round to removing it for a bit
Old 15-10-2009, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse In The Bathtub View Post
I find All is Vanity's lyrics a bit childish and immature to be honest. To me it's Richey's "purity" obsession to the fore and it's all very dull.All the stuff about no choice, no freedom.His opinions and beliefs obviously, but they're ones that I just find very silly.

Being able to deal with uncertainty and choice is part of being an adult, and that song seems to emphasise how childish Richey could be.Maybe I like to see him in a better light, I don't know.
fair enough - i can understand that
Old 15-10-2009, 10:39
I live to fall asleep

I still love JFPL, I can't listen to JCEQT enough! I cut it up into bits and put the "Oh mummy what's a Sex Pistol" bit on my phone as a message alert tone lol. I just love it!

The poll is closed and I couldn't vote...

I still love it as much as I did originally... my choice.
Old 15-10-2009, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
I prefer the Manics when they play aggressive, harder sounding music with the occassional lapse into an accoustic softer sound so for me, JFPL represents a good piece of work from them.
I have recently identified aggression as one of the key things that makes me like the Manics more than anyone else. Music should have some bite to it, and it's amazing when you think about it how few bands do!
Old 15-10-2009, 13:17
Doors slowly closing

Initially I though people in these parts got a little bit over excited about the greatness of this album. I still think that a little. But I do think it's is a brilliant and far superior than anything they have put out in years. Not listened to it in a couple of months. Still sounds just as good
Old 15-10-2009, 21:07
Bored out of my mind

I've been listening to it in my car today!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 15-12-2010, 10:45
Desire on its knees

Such a memorable album, it's not that often these days that after a year and a half after the release I can still love the album just as much as the period it was first out. It all sounds so fresh. It's sad that this may have been the last album with that type of sound from the Manic Street Preachers.