Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-10-2018, 14:10
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Can't say that I agree. Thematically and musically it's closer to Know Your Enemy. It's got a looseness to it which contrasts to the meticulous and often suffocating production of TIMT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
I would say it fits in to the KYE 'era' as it was a departure from TIMT and has a similar sound to some of the songs on KYE to the point where you could imagine it fitting on that album. In the same vein, I would probably include There by the God and Forever Delayed as being in the Lifeblood 'era' even though they didn't appear on that album.
I see what you mean, however, Nicky said at the time that it had nothing to do with the next album and was it's own thing, just like Motown Junk. That's why I regard it as a full stop on the TIMT era (or maybe part of the 'We're sick of TIMT' era!)

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp..._December_1999
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 09-10-2018, 14:38
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
I see what you mean, however, Nicky said at the time that it had nothing to do with the next album and was it's own thing, just like Motown Junk. That's why I regard it as a full stop on the TIMT era (or maybe part of the 'We're sick of TIMT' era!)

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp..._December_1999
You're quoting Nicky, and even worse you're quoting Nicky from before the song was officially released!

Just joking (well sort of...)....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 09-10-2018, 14:39
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

And it starts off like 'Lets Dance's? Really?

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 09-10-2018, 16:58
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I have always thought of Masses as the first song of the KYE era rather than the last song of the TIMTTMY era. Even though it was released roughly equidistant between the two albums, it just feels more in line with the fuzzy, scratchiness of KYE than the (mostly) smoother production of TIMTTMY.

Someone should ask the band sometime how they see it.
Tired of giving a reason when it's the future that they believe in
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 09-10-2018, 18:51
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Tired of giving a reason when it's the future that they believe in
uh, and so it remains.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 09-10-2018, 20:01
I live to fall asleep

Hearing Masses first play on the Lamacq show one Monday evening in 1999/2000 is one of my favourite Manics memories. I couldn't get my head around it. Sounded so weird and fizzy (at least on the little portable radio I was listening to it on). Good times.
Old 09-10-2018, 21:57
Winterlover

The reason I'm in the "full stop" camp on Masses is partly because I was at V99.

At the time, the lads were coming in for a lot of shit from the press, and they were annoyed at being thrown under the bus after the Truth tour. So it felt like they decided to bring Masses to the party early as a fuck you to give the press something to chew on. The reason it felt like a reaction to me was because (despite the fact that it's a mega simple song,) it sounded like an unfinished demo on that balmy August night.

Timing wise, Masses was also first played just 47 days after the release of Tsunami. After that, the band carried on the Truth tour through the US and back to Cardiff for NYE. Meanwhile, Found that soul (which is arguably Masses brother from another mother) was released a full year and a bit after that. So yeah, KYE does undeniably have some traits found in Masses, but it seems obvious that Masses was born out of the Truth campaign, the press backlash and the mood of the moment.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 10-10-2018 at 09:29.
Old 11-10-2018, 14:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
The reason I'm in the "full stop" camp on Masses is partly because I was at V99.

At the time, the lads were coming in for a lot of shit from the press, and they were annoyed at being thrown under the bus after the Truth tour. So it felt like they decided to bring Masses to the party early as a fuck you to give the press something to chew on. The reason it felt like a reaction to me was because (despite the fact that it's a mega simple song,) it sounded like an unfinished demo on that balmy August night.

Timing wise, Masses was also first played just 47 days after the release of Tsunami. After that, the band carried on the Truth tour through the US and back to Cardiff for NYE. Meanwhile, Found that soul (which is arguably Masses brother from another mother) was released a full year and a bit after that. So yeah, KYE does undeniably have some traits found in Masses, but it seems obvious that Masses was born out of the Truth campaign, the press backlash and the mood of the moment.
I see where you are coming from in that it was a reaction to TIMT and agree that the band were probably trying to distance themselves from that album and try and return to a more stripped back sound.

Whereas it is true that Found That Soul was released over a year after Masses, the recording would have started well before that and it has always seemed to me that a number of the songs on KYE and the B sides of that time have a similar sort of sound to Masses and Close My Eyes.

Maybe the best way to describe it is the bridge that signalled the end of TIMT and the start of KYE!!
Old 16-10-2018, 14:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

Back to the original question of songs they don't play enough (though they have played some of them at times in the past), I would like to see the following get a look-in:

Spectators of Suicide (Heavenly version)
Born to End
La Tristesse (what has happened to that?)
PCP
Enola / Alone
Sepia
Prologue to History
Freedom of Speech Won't Feed My Children
Door to the River
Judge Yrself
To Repel Ghosts
Firefight
Send Away the Tigers
Peeled Apples
Golden Platitudes
Red Rubber
30 Year War
Empty Motorcade
The View From Stow Hill
In Eternity

Last edited by tomd2103; 16-10-2018 at 14:10.