Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-10-2021, 10:28
A self-made vacuum

Just got the magazine yesterday, gave it a look through. Did notice lots of errors in the rate singles section. Lots of singles being classed as UK when they are Japanese or European.
Old 17-10-2021, 20:49
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Nick...! View Post
It's not perfect but we're glad to have it, right, and they'll get a good buy-rate from Manics fans so it's a win win.
Oh, totally. It's just you expect the very basics like proofreading so it's a bit disheartening to see that slide into irrelevance.

It's an entertaining read though, i'm enjoying it and caitlin moran's interview in particular is great - "they walked around like fauns, or gazelles, but their brains were like wolves with flick-knives".
I have a grudging respect for her reasons for leaving the manics behind when she did despite still describing herself as a manics fan for loving the idea of them being the most potent thing to her. And her thoughts on why bands should start their careers by being as much like the manics as possible is something i've often thought myself.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 17-10-2021, 22:31
Builder of routine

I had a copy of UK channel boredom in my hands in a record store a good few years ago. £40. Thought 'nah too much" Idiot. Also thought someone selling an original suicide alley single for £150 on eBay might be fake. Wasn't. Idiot. In happier news nice to see the lipstick traces LP valued at £350. Did buy that. Tho I'm assuming these eyewatering prices are mint copies?

Enjoying record collector..going through it slowly to savour every word ..even the typos The Q&A goes on for ages - a very good thing
Old 18-10-2021, 07:53
Stretched out in the sun

Would anybody mind clarifying exactly what was said about Lifeblood please, for those of us currently unable to purchase RC?
Old 18-10-2021, 08:14
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Now don't be go stealing my decorating choices!

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 18-10-2021, 12:58
Stretched out in the sun

Thank you so much for sharing that bit RB. It’s very satisfying to hear their thoughts laid out so clearly as there’s always been a vague notion of their dislike in the past without really getting down to the reasons behind it. Lovely to know that Bradders has made his peace with it too and it does sound like Wire has got plans for an anniversary release, so here’s hoping!
Old 18-10-2021, 13:23

If you can get your hands on the magazine's it's well worth it. There's about 10-15 pages of fan questions and 60% are the usual what's your favourite song...

Old 18-10-2021, 13:26

I'm also guessing quite few people from this forum asked questions unless there's a subfandom about narcissists that I'm unaware of.

Old 18-10-2021, 13:47
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
If you can get your hands on the magazine's it's well worth it. There's about 10-15 pages of fan questions and 60% are the usual what's your favourite song...
Am I best ordering online or is it widely available?
Old 18-10-2021, 13:50
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Am I best ordering online or is it widely available?
Ordering online is easier but a big wh Smith's should have it. HMV might too
Old 18-10-2021, 13:53
Bored of being bored

I've also seen it at one of the big Sainsbury's (the kind with the clothes shop and Argos inside etc).
Old 18-10-2021, 20:55
Winterlover

There are lots of fascinating bits in the fan questions section (including epic rants on crisps) and they commit to it in a way that does tell you they are always appreciative of their support despite times when the relationship has been factious. I honestly think that's also reflected in keeping their gigs affordable throughout the years with no fluff and nonsense (muse, looking at you) to massively inflate the ticket price.

I'm really quite surprised both nicky and sean think send away the tigers has the best artwork.

Then there are the pulse quickening moments like this (spot one of many many mistakes)...

Quote:
Any chance of doing a tour for die-hard fans with a setlist consisting of b-sides and obscure tracks?
Jdb: i'd love to actually. Usually, i'd steer around that and be a bit careful and snooty about it. But in the last few years i have thought about stuff like that and i would like to play songs like dead trees and traffic islands or horses under starlight and have sean fucking play the trumpet like he did on record because i hate that he won't do it publicly, it bugs me. Then stuff like buildings for the dead and covers like foggy-eyes as well.
I want this but it'll never happen, maybe the odd song here and there but not the whole thing.
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 18-10-2021, 21:20
Builder of routine

I literally have no idea how they make their money charging so little, tho different venues have higher prices. Think Albert hall was the highest at 60+ but that was still cheap for there.

They're crisp obsession is so funny. I ate golden wonder crisps as a kid and don't remember the switch to walkers being that memorable. Need to find somewhere that sells them to remind me.

"buildings for the dead" - hmmmm ....I'd love a B-sides gig. Stop fibbing Jimbo you'll never do it.

I really like the SATT album artwork. Not sure why it gets so much hate. Not much of a fan of the rest of her photography but I like that one.

intrigued by the 2 sets of lyrics James refused to write any music for ....
Old 18-10-2021, 21:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I literally have no idea how they make their money charging so little, tho different venues have higher prices. Think Albert hall was the highest at 60+ but that was still cheap for there.
Well nicky has said in the past they've lost money on gigs like manic millennium and cuba and who knows where else but they seem to be in such a unique position of being a band that gets a lot of leeway in just fucking up from time to time over the years. James talking about rob stringer still taking the time for them when he doesn't have to is quite sweet really, for all their mouthing-off over the years (all part of the theatre of rock and/or roll) they've build up a lot of goodwill in the industry.
Old 18-10-2021, 22:07
Builder of routine

Yeah but losing money on entire tours? Especially as they tend to do two lots of dates. Wouldn't make sense. Seems to be the way most bands make their money these days as album sales are so low and streaming pays less than a pittance. None of my beeswax of course ...just curious. Not going to moan about affordable prices either