Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 20:32
Knowlede Is Power

Manics gig attire...

Hello everyone!!

I'd love to your see costumes or outfits specifically Manics related that you've worn to gigs over the eras...

Would anyone care to share?

Gracie

Fall in love, fall in love with me,nail a crucifix onto your soul.

(don't be shy)
Old 10-12-2014, 20:57
Footprint of history

As I was middle aged when they first arrived on the scene I've always been too old to dress up so just normal clothes for myself
Old 10-12-2014, 21:55
Born to end

I have several of those old German army surplus shirts that I often wear which are slightly Holy Bible. I was going to wear one to the gig next Wednesday but realised I am a man approaching his 40s, will probably look a right twat, and be ridiculed
Old 10-12-2014, 21:59
Knowlede Is Power

Both of you, that's nonsense!!

You're never too old to dress up like our boys and have a great time.

(don't be shy)
Old 10-12-2014, 22:24
I am purity, they call me perverted

I've got a couple of vaguely THB army surplus shirts too, they're more for casual wear than gig attire though. I will have my fur coat on in the queue next week! But it'll be going in the cloakroom once I'm inside, far too hot for that.

My sister, in the early- and mid-90s, did the whole leopard print, faux fur, feather boa thing for their gigs and I always thought she looked fantastic

ETA: Ooh, reached 100 posts!

""All I ever wanted was a brute with cheekbones." Because I think that's all anyone ever wants."
- Richey Edwards

Last edited by BeautyBeyondLust; 11-12-2014 at 11:43.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:07
I am purity, they call me perverted

Not terribly done up, but I sort of went for the Army theme when I got to see them in 2009 in Detroit: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater You can't see in the photo that I was wearing green cargo pants.
Old 12-12-2014, 21:19
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodleBug View Post
Not terribly done up, but I sort of went for the Army theme when I got to see them in 2009 in Detroit: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater You can't see in the photo that I was wearing green cargo pants.
Nice!! -

By the way, I love your signature photo, very cute!

(don't be shy)
Old 12-12-2014, 21:20
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyBeyondLust View Post
I've got a couple of vaguely THB army surplus shirts too, they're more for casual wear than gig attire though. I will have my fur coat on in the queue next week! But it'll be going in the cloakroom once I'm inside, far too hot for that.

My sister, in the early- and mid-90s, did the whole leopard print, faux fur, feather boa thing for their gigs and I always thought she looked fantastic

ETA: Ooh, reached 100 posts!
Oh wow!

& I would have loved to have been able to attend the original GT, GATS & HB gigs in suitable attire...alas I had not yet been born

(don't be shy)
Old 12-12-2014, 21:38
Builder of routine

I have some leopard print converse shoes. Giving them a rest cos the weather is so shit but they'll be out again next summer.
Old 12-12-2014, 22:28
Winterlover

This thread has made me realise that although I put a considerable amount of thought/time/effort into my Manics gig outfits (some suggest "too much"???), I don't actually have photos of me wearing many of them. Hrm. Perhaps I should change that. But then there would be have to be more photos taken. Fear.

I went in for the dressing up pretty much from the off, maybe weirdly as I've never gone for dressing up otherwise. But I was drawn to for whatever reasons (being a crippingly shy and depressed 15-year-old finding an identity probably being a big one to begin with, and not getting out much so wanting to make as much of an an event of it as possible being one now) and found that it's nice to forget I'm me for a bit and not bother feeling self-conscious, and to channel some of the Manics' sassiness and lack of fuck-giving. Started off pretty tamely with leopardprint accessories and glitter, and over time as I've gotten more money and daring I've also gotten increasingly adventurous with it. This has peaked in recent years with me having a couple of goes at recreating actual Manics (okay, Nicky) outfits as well as dressing Like A Manixfan for gigs. Oh, I also decided the O2 gig was The Manixfan Ball, so I may have worn a floorlength red ballgown-type dress to that. I could and probably should make a section of my wardrobe purely of stuff I have just for this purpose. Takes up a lot of room, being silly and bright and distracting me from my proper clothes.

Ramble ramble, here are two of my proudest moments in gigwear/life in general - recreations of Nicky's GT era shirt (1, 2) which was apparently so convincing that when I met him wearing it he screamed 'YOU STOLE MY SHIRT' at me; and Nicky's, uh, 'iconic' GATS floral ensemble (1, 2) which I have so far wandered around the cities of Newport, London and Leicester wearing to MUCH public consternation.

You see now why I don't really do photographs. Look how distressed I am. I JUST WANT TO DRESS LIKE AN IDIOT, MUM, LEAVE ME BE.
Old 12-12-2014, 22:37
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarsideways View Post
This thread has made me realise that although I put a considerable amount of thought/time/effort into my Manics gig outfits (some suggest "too much"???), I don't actually have photos of me wearing many of them. Hrm. Perhaps I should change that. But then there would be have to be more photos taken. Fear.

I went in for the dressing up pretty much from the off, maybe weirdly as I've never gone for dressing up otherwise. But I was drawn to for whatever reasons (being a crippingly shy and depressed 15-year-old finding an identity probably being a big one to begin with, and not getting out much so wanting to make as much of an an event of it as possible being one now) and found that it's nice to forget I'm me for a bit and not bother feeling self-conscious, and to channel some of the Manics' sassiness and lack of fuck-giving. Started off pretty tamely with leopardprint accessories and glitter, and over time as I've gotten more money and daring I've also gotten increasingly adventurous with it. This has peaked in recent years with me having a couple of goes at recreating actual Manics (okay, Nicky) outfits as well as dressing Like A Manixfan for gigs. Oh, I also decided the O2 gig was The Manixfan Ball, so I may have worn a floorlength red ballgown-type dress to that. I could and probably should make a section of my wardrobe purely of stuff I have just for this purpose. Takes up a lot of room, being silly and bright and distracting me from my proper clothes.

Ramble ramble, here are two of my proudest moments in gigwear/life in general - recreations of Nicky's GT era shirt (1, 2) which was apparently so convincing that when I met him wearing it he screamed 'YOU STOLE MY SHIRT' at me; and Nicky's, uh, 'iconic' GATS floral ensemble (1, 2) which I have so far wandered around the cities of Newport, London and Leicester wearing to MUCH public consternation.

You see now why I don't really do photographs. Look how distressed I am. I JUST WANT TO DRESS LIKE AN IDIOT, MUM, LEAVE ME BE.
That's absolutely amazing, must have took ages to get right, I'm jealous!! Creeping out Wire himself is a considerable achievement...

I'm considering going full Nicky next year but anxiety always holds me back but this post has made my mind up, I'm gonna try it!

Thanks for sharing

(don't be shy)
Old 12-12-2014, 22:39
Builder of routine

I'm too old to dress up but i'll wear those converse and a holy bible t-shirt next summer
Old 12-12-2014, 23:10
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I'm too old to dress up but i'll wear those converse and a holy bible t-shirt next summer
You're never too old to dress up dammit!
Old 12-12-2014, 23:11
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post
You're never too old to dress up dammit!
I'll re-phrase… i'm too self conscious to dress up
Old 12-12-2014, 23:19
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
I'll re-phrase… i'm too self conscious to dress up
Shhhh haha! All you need to care about at a Manics gig is the music and all of us lovely fellow eccentrics here at FD

(don't be shy)