Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-01-2010, 08:52
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
equality's great but can we keep *ladies first* ? I like not having to queue for buses and having doors opened for me is lovely too
So equality as long as you get to keep the 'perks'?
Re: Earlier on, I feel that women are more likely to be calmer and more rational than men with less to prove (obviously not always the case). Of course men and women are equal but it's always gonna be that we're slightly better at different things, women are better at ideas. IMHO
Old 13-01-2010, 09:45
Footprint of history

Feminism, in the majority, is the quest for quality of opportunity. Therefore it is always relevant, all the time, and any claims it isn't are either ill informed as to what it is, or sexist.

The former is very very common as the media misrepresents feminism at every turn.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:33
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
So equality as long as you get to keep the 'perks'?
Re: Earlier on, I feel that women are more likely to be calmer and more rational than men with less to prove (obviously not always the case). Of course men and women are equal but it's always gonna be that we're slightly better at different things, women are better at ideas. IMHO
Can you clarify what you mean by "women are better at ideas"? I know it's kind of off topic, but I'm interested to know what you mean as it's a bit vague.
Old 13-01-2010, 12:55
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpse In The Bathtub View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by "women are better at ideas"? I know it's kind of off topic, but I'm interested to know what you mean as it's a bit vague.
Yeah vagueness is what I do. I just feel that generally women have more common sense and are better at management
Old 13-01-2010, 13:46
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
equality's great but can we keep *ladies first* ? I like not having to queue for buses and having doors opened for me is lovely too
Exactly, sometimes change for change's sake is no good; women are still more likely to be carrying children around or wheeling prams so we shouldn't be slamming the door in their faces. Also you really don't want to trade in the 'women and children first' rule when a ship is sinking - which I think still applies if the woman is the one that gets the directions wrong and hits an iceberg.
Old 13-01-2010, 14:36
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
Yeah vagueness is what I do. I just feel that generally women have more common sense and are better at management
Ok. I don't know about the common sense, it's hard to define, but based on my experience in a employment I'd say a definate yes to the second one.
Old 13-01-2010, 15:14
Footprint of history

I'm not being arsey but shift this over to http://foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/s...=48248&page=26

This is a really interesting subject to talk about and I think the general thread is a good place.
Old 13-01-2010, 19:14
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Feminism is not the supremacy of one sex over the other. Those who support the supremacy of women over men are not the majority of feminists.
Absolutely! Well said!

Quote:
i didnt get from his post that the fight for equality isnt necessary ..just the burning bra men hating version of it is outdated
Ummm...that's not exactly what the feminist movement was ever about. It's a huge streotype. While there is a school of feminist thought that does indeed bash men, those ideals do not represent the majority of feminist beliefs.

Quote:
With all due respect, are you incapable of queing for buses like everyone else or unable to open your own door?

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 13-01-2010 at 20:04.
Old 13-01-2010, 19:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Architect View Post
Feminism, in the majority, is the quest for quality of opportunity. Therefore it is always relevant, all the time, and any claims it isn't are either ill informed as to what it is, or sexist.

The former is very very common as the media misrepresents feminism at every turn.
You're the bomb!
Yeah, what she said!

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 13-01-2010 at 19:48.