Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-07-2021, 11:08
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Question

In fairness neither have the Manics, you can look at the last two decades with roughly the same number of album releases. The Manics have released KYE, Lifeblood, JPFL, RTF, Futurology and TUVL which can't really be criticised for wallowing in past successes. And that's not including IKTZ and EIE. I don't have anything against Coldplay but they are not exactly known pushing the boat musically but have much more flexibility because they have a much bigger international profile than the Manics. Coldplay can afford to have a record or two not sell anything at all, I'm not quite sure the Manics have the same capability financially.

Edit: That new Coldplay single sounds like something from their 2nd album except at half tempo and borrowing heavily from Pink Floyd...

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 24-07-2021, 11:18
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

This is song is like smoking, I don't particularly like it but I can't get it out of my head. I think the kale/female duets are elevated by having two voices in the lyrics. It allows the guest vocalist interprete the lyric themselves than feeling they have to match Bradder's vocal style. Dylan and Caitlyn sounds much better after listening to TSHHM.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 24-07-2021, 12:40
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
And again these songs were apparently written before locks etc. Guns 'N' Roses playing All You Need Is Love aside, "a new dimension" from interviews is what I'm gripping.
Virtually every review and interview mentioning ABBA is hilarious!
Make that a meme!

Works harder than ever

People say it sounds like ABBA
Old 24-07-2021, 21:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

I really like the new songs, the lyrics and the story attached with TSHHM. I also like the ABBA vibe, I think they wrote very real songs, like the Manics. It was good to listen to the recent interview. I like that James has inherited a piano and I hope they release another song before the album.
Old 24-07-2021, 23:56
Winterlover

I would just be happy them making the music they want to make without them worrying about the risk of being perceived as critical failures but the discussion around these two new tracks gives me lifeblood deja vu and i'm sure the same discussion was happening when truth came out. I still believe they have the fire in their belly (see 30 year war as an example) and while i'd probably like an album full of vision blurred type tracks i'm excited knowing that another one of those or empty motorcade or love letter to the future or sequels to forgotten wars is lurking around the corner ready to surprise me. The question of whether i'd like something of theirs if i wasn't already a fan is something i've thought about many times but ultimately it's a pointless exercise and anyway, i don't blindly like everything they do by any means.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 25-07-2021, 10:01

The opening reminds me of Sepia
Old 25-07-2021, 17:54
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
IThe question of whether i'd like something of theirs if i wasn't already a fan is something i've thought about many times but ultimately it's a pointless exercise
The whole bands = brands thing. Much as we don't always like to admit it, it's true. There's no way people would've followed the Beatles to where they went without their early success. I wouldn't be listening to TUVL without A Design for Life.

The best bands change and bring you along for the ride.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 25-07-2021, 19:00

I kind of think Nicky Wire is still secretly hung up on the idea of the Manics being a Big/Important Band - which in the modern era means a new song getting 1 million+ views a few weeks after release etc... never going to happen but I get the feeling he believes that a 3/4 years at the top at the end of 90s and then obscurity was a missed opportunity. Hence the constant need to keep the "pop" side to the sound and random talk of "mass communication", "Abba" etc etc

On the other hand JDB also clearly loves a Nice Hummable Tune, but would probably be equally happy going into full-on experimental/zero sales artistic randomness.

Kind of feels like JDB still obviously loves the band (and it pays the bills!) - but is actually pouring his creativity more into solo projects these days. So to an extent I'm not sure the band is really completely fulfilling anybody's needs these days - sure, we get some playful and enjoyable experimentation, but we're never going to get Hard New Sounds/Groundbreaking Album of the Year! ... and nor are we ever going to get Serious Youtube Views/Unexpected Comeback Fame!, as that ship sailed 20 years ago - if it ever was truly an achievable, viable longterm goal for a band called "Manic Street Preachers".
Old 25-07-2021, 21:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
The whole bands = brands thing. Much as we don't always like to admit it, it's true. There's no way people would've followed the Beatles to where they went without their early success. I wouldn't be listening to TUVL without A Design for Life.

The best bands change and bring you along for the ride.
Well, yeah and it's easy to be dismissive that a track like this may bring in new fans but i have no doubt it will. It's happened with some of, what i consider to be, their most lazy stuff but if it unlocks the band for someone then fair enough. It's still a mug's game trying to determine which manics track will work on a casual listener because god knows what people see in the most streamed music these days.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 25-07-2021, 21:50
I live to fall asleep

While lot of shite offered up in this thread!
Old 28-07-2021, 09:35
Doors slowly closing

So I’ve given this a few listens now and is it just my phone or does the production/mix sound legitimately weak? If you listen to it after any other current track on YouTube or Spotify, it sounds quiet and compressed. To have both of these flaws together is particularly grating.

Sean’s drums were notably better on the radio session. Delay the album further, please. There are production issues.
Old 28-07-2021, 20:29
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
So I’ve given this a few listens now and is it just my phone or does the production/mix sound legitimately weak? If you listen to it after any other current track on YouTube or Spotify, it sounds quiet and compressed. To have both of these flaws together is particularly grating.

Sean’s drums were notably better on the radio session. Delay the album further, please. There are production issues.
Yep. Some very strange production choices. I cant really get my head round it either.
Old 30-07-2021, 18:12
Doors slowly closing

As with Orwellian, it reminds me of my favourite parts of Lifeblood with those ABBA style pianos, so I really like it. I'm looking forward to the album now which is great as I thought the last album was so dreadful. So bad that I was thinking maybe it was time for them to pack it in. They always bounce back in fairness to them.
Old 31-07-2021, 08:23

There's something about that video and Aimee Ffion Edwards on that beach and how she looks at the end; reminds me of a certain photo-shoot from back in the day

The Manics and beaches huh?

Last edited by taxexile; 31-07-2021 at 12:29.
Old 05-08-2021, 22:06

Exactly. Love that manics beach vibe. Possibly my favourite aesthetic of all time.

Also, Julia Cumming has a really cool voice. That really makes this song. Love how she sings the line "If only we could meet agaiiin." Sudden burst of desperation, voice wavers enjoyably.

Anyone know where she sings? I searched "Julia Cumming" and only found a band called Sunflower Bean, but the singer there doesn't sound like the manics song, nor does she look like the woman in the video. So I'm a bit confused...

Last edited by Marat Sar; 05-08-2021 at 22:10.