Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-05-2021, 16:41
Knowlede Is Power

Orwellian would definitely fit well on RIF.

Not a bad song. Found myself singing along on the second listen.
Old 13-05-2021, 17:20
Desire on its knees

Just for how i got it - downloaded hotbot on Android, subbed for the free trial and picked Australia. I went to this this link and it played https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqBVB...Q_x9lk&index=1

Nice tune, will be better to listen on earphones a few times.
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 13-05-2021, 17:23
Desire on its knees

Quick jump onto Amazon Japan, no bonus tracks listed as yet, but they have got the 30 second preview of Orwellian up: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B09...428&sr=8-4
Old 13-05-2021, 17:28
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
Quick jump onto Amazon Japan, no bonus tracks listed as yet, but they have got the 30 second preview of Orwellian up: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B09...428&sr=8-4
Amazon Japan listing of the deluxe edition confirms additional Nicky demos for those two tracks: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/MANIC-...=dmusic&sr=1-1
Old 13-05-2021, 17:48
Freed from the century

Shame that there dont appear to be any bonus tracks on the special editions, first time in a while that the Japanese editions dont include extra tracks isn't it ?
Perhaps more will be announced tomorrow though.
Old 13-05-2021, 18:35
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
Shame that there dont appear to be any bonus tracks on the special editions, first time in a while that the Japanese editions dont include extra tracks isn't it ?
Perhaps more will be announced tomorrow though.
Hoping / guessing that there will be and that the bonus tracks either aren’t finished or the band hasn’t decided on which ones to include. Enjoyed the ones in recent years.
Old 13-05-2021, 19:19
Knowlede Is Power

I'm particularly intrigued by the track titles "The Secret He Had Missed" and "Quest for Ancient Colour". I like it when the Manics set us homework in the vein of Paul Robeson, Yves Klein, Black Square etc. I'm guessing we're all pretty clued up already on George Orwell, but these two titles have me itching to know more.
Old 13-05-2021, 19:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Fantastic news, one of the music worlds greatest gifts is when the Manics gear up for a new campaign - single, album, tour, artwork. They have always had wonderful artwork; I loved the cover of RIF and band photos of that era, and Futurology had some striking imagery. I love the album cover for the upcoming album - the image itself, the font, presentation. Ditto the cover for Orwellian.

RIF and its 4 bonus tracks I still rate very highly, as compelling for me as Futurology was. Even in Exile was a triumph, truly wonderful. High expectations for the forthcoming opus.

Welcome back lads
Old 13-05-2021, 20:13

Orwellian is very decent, well written and catchy ... but a little bit safe IMO. It reminds me of International Blue in terms of its fine songwriting, nice production - but just a tad bland? Damn catchy though. If they’re all up to this standard though, and if theres a great flow between songs, then it will be a fine album. But slightly cautious that this was the song they were most set on, as it’s an 8/10 sort of song. That said, I do like the clean production on this song, nice and modern sounding yet with some retro aspects too. It’s a decent track but a bit safe. Still, high hopes that this will at the very least be an improvement of RiF. Summary: nice production, easy listening, very catchy, but but a little bit restrained and bland. It’s a bit like they’re worried about being naff as a rock band in their 50s and so are almost over striving to be “respectable” and “tasteful”. Understandable I guess.
Old 13-05-2021, 20:40
Stretched out in the sun

I only liked about 5 tracks from RIF so hopefully this one will have a higher hit ratio for me, but the one track from that era I loved that I hoped was a sign of where they’d go next was “A Soundtrack To Complete Withdrawal”. Still got my fingers crossed that we’ll hear more of that style from the boys at some point.
Old 13-05-2021, 20:52
Doors slowly closing

Description from Amazon:

‘The Ultra Vivid Lament’ is the 14th studio album from Manic Street Preachers. It is both reflection and reaction; a record that gazes in isolation across a cluttered room, fogged by often painful memories, to focus on an open window framing a gleaming vista of land melting into sea and endless sky.

Musically, ‘The Ultra Vivid Lament’ is inspired by a formative years record box (ABBA, post-Eno Roxy, the Bunnymen, Fables-era REM, Lodger) though the end result could only be the unique union of James Dean Bradfield, Nicky Wire and Sean Moore, collectively one of the UK’s most consistently brilliant rock’n’roll bands for over three decades.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 13-05-2021, 20:53
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

We live in Orwellian times
It feels impossible to pick a side
In sentences that dance and hide
The truth becomes a broken lie

Everywhere you look, everywhere you turn
The future fights the past, the books begin to burn
I'll walk you through the apocalypse
Where me and you could co-exist

Words wage war, meanings being missed

[bridge]

We live in Orwellian times
A deepening sense of fear and crime
On the playing fields, in exclusive clubs
Under papal machines still making fools of us

[solo / bridge x2]

I'll walk you throught the apocalypse

[end solo]

... Something like that?

Ah, intertextual Manics: anyone else recognising the bridge/solo guitar citing "30-Year War"? <3
The lyrics seem like a continuation of the theme.
Old 13-05-2021, 21:03

Wonder if this song could actually be a hit for them? The lyrics really do a good job of capturing the zeitgeist and it’s certainly catchy enough. With the power of social media/stuff going viral anything’s possible!
Old 13-05-2021, 21:03
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Can we change the thread title to "The Ultra Vivid Lament" because I keep calling it
The Ultra Violet Lament. I've saw the title in front of me. The second I look at something else it comes back violet.
Old 13-05-2021, 21:22
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
A deepening sense of fear and crime
"A deep, burning sense" makes a Fahrenheit 451-ian sense though.