Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-10-2014, 12:17
Administrator

I agree, I think whilst it's easy to assign interpretations (and get offended by them), it's not at all clear that those interpretations are correct...so for me personally I couldn't get offended by my assumptions of what Richey did or didn't mean. Quite often it seems like he is trying to provoke a reaction or take a contrary viewpoint or speak as others.

...of course not to say others shouldn't..
Old 13-10-2014, 15:52
Knowlede Is Power

My personal stance is that this album is so special to so many people for different reasons. Some people say it changed their lives and their way of thinking. For me it was the opposite. I first heard it during a time when I was experiencing a lot of the things Richey was when he wrote the lyrics. Anorexia, dealing with the fact that prostitution exists and the morals of that, self-harm, borderline alcoholism, reading extensively about the Holocaust etc. For me it was like, wow, someone else thinks and feels the same as me and they write songs about all these things on one album? I was staggered when I first heard it and to this day and for the rest of my life I will always love this album and cannot wait to experience it live.
Old 13-10-2014, 17:19
Doors slowly closing

People will just enjoy the experience. In the end, MSP write catchy rock songs and THB despite its grim lyrical content is no exception. Its not like Slayer or Napalm Death, its MSP rocking out like only they can for most of 45 mins which alot of fans will love to see. Its not going to make somebody run out of the venue and jump in front of a bus...i hope!
Old 13-10-2014, 17:58
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I've just got this feeling I need to see this tour more than any other tour I could have gone to. Even if they do bring in other musicians to play alongside them.
If only they'd played their cards right, this could have been a big Las Vegas show!
Old 13-10-2014, 18:00
Administrator

^They are gonna be a three piece.
Old 13-10-2014, 22:53
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Things always sound a bit fresher live so I'm sure will be terrific. One of the best Manics performances I've seen was when they brought whiteamerica back for one of the Lifeblood tours and with an extra guitarist it sounded great, like it had been given new life.
i was initially wary about these shows, as i found 'ifwhiteamerica' was quite plodding, almost dirgey when they played it on the PPF tour: a box tick exercise played with little passion.

opinions changed with the recent airings of Revol though: from the O2 show onwards, THAT track seems to have found a new lease of re-energised life, especially in the now extended breakdown and into the solo - whatever pedal JDB used on Jools the other night for the solo made the song sound more... evolved... from the HB days.
Old 14-10-2014, 14:38
Born to end

I hope so, if i'm not bleeding from the ears and nose and trying to pull splinters of bass guitar from my face as the last notes of PCP reververate through a broken guitar amp i'm going to demand my money back.

But in all seriousness, nah, of course it won't be too much, it'll be just right!
Old 15-10-2014, 11:23
Administrator

Me too. Nothing about the PPF tour felt like box ticking to me, unlike some other songs and tours.
Old 15-10-2014, 18:38
Under neon loneliness

PPF was the best tour I've been to, but IWA has always sounded half-arsed live. It's one of the most produced songs on the record so I'm not surprised really.
Old 15-10-2014, 19:13
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black View Post
Indeed it might be a bit too much, I might explode from being that excited...
same!
Old 10-11-2014, 23:24
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Also, most people sing along with glee (at least I do) to some of the darkest lyrics around...i find those songs exciting live, not depressing. There isn't time to think about 'oh he's talking about death camps'.
The THB gigs will be the worlds' oddest singalongs.

Given that I wasn't even going to gigs when THB was released and toured, I'm thoroughly looking forward to the experience!
andtriestowinherbackwithHILARIOUSconsequences
Old 10-11-2014, 23:26
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Would it be bad taste for James to go "Next bit is all yours!" to the audience after the first chorus of TIHOE?
And oddly enough, the drum and sample cut out of that part so it'd be perfect!