Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-05-2018, 19:28
I live to fall asleep

That seems a little more extreme than we had in Birmingham. My wife strolled in with a handbag full of the kids stuff, Pom bears, crayons and a fruit shoot she happened to have in there. We had a pretty good pat down but I suppose the guy didn’t feel anything that felt too out of place so wasn’t fussed. Maybe they were on higher alert in Leeds for some reason?
Old 03-05-2018, 19:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
As in Leeds, thought it was a nice touch James dedicating I Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You to Gary Speed.
Very considerate.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 03-05-2018, 20:26
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Can someone answer me why in the fuck do they take your ticket off you when yu go in? I said to the guy (having had tickets taken off me before lately but not knowing why and I like to cause a fuss) "why you taking my ticket off me?" "You're not allowed it." "Why not?" "Cos you're not", "I'm already in the venue, let me keep MY ticket" "Youre not allowed, you can get one on the way out as you leave" "That's just stupid mate, what idiot came up with this idea?" and I walked off. I did get one at the end, it was all fuckign creased up, yet I'd kept mine in mint condition. Just a small thing but Goddamn it, it pisses me off. I don't get their logic as they scan your ticket on the way in, so fuck knows why they take them off you at the next part and throw them all into a giant bin bag. Grrrr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
I was not too pleased about that for other reasons. I had Ticketmaster tickets, which had my personal details printed on them. By taking them off me, and possibly giving them to other I think they were in breach of data protection protocols. At the time though I was so relieved at smuggling in my contraband sweeties I couldn't be bothered to argue.
I've no idea why either and it winds me up too. Its probably cos they give u wristbands so its quicker to identify who's allowed on the floor without reading a ticket. If they let u keep it you could go back out and give it to someone with a seat who wants standing ..who then swaps it for a wristband. Maybe?
Saying that, Birmingham let me keep my ticket with the wristband.

I'm generally baffled by these policies. Not allowing medication? Where the hell has that come from?? Surely staff can read and use their brains? Medication will have labels. Unless the medication was a liquid? You'd think they were going through airport security not an arena.

Good point about names on tickets. Hadn't thought of that. Can't remember now if my manchester ticket had my name on. Got it through eventim or gigsandtours.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:46
Freed from the century

Cheers guys. Everyone got some great shots - guess its because it was such a good gig!
Old 05-05-2018, 15:55
Born to end

I was stood front centre just 4 rows from the barrier, and unfortunately next to one of the most despicable concert goers I’ve ever known.

There was a big empty space in front of her and her friend, so I stepped into the space to have a chat with somebody I know on the barrier. She then starts giving me attitude about how I’m now ruining her view. After a little heated discussion I take my place behind her again to shut her up, but I added that she needs to fill that space in front of her or somebody else will. It seemed that she thought she had the right to a one metre exclusion zone in front of her to get the best possible view.

Inevitably a couple move up to take this big empty space, so she tried to fight them off to protect it but did not win that battle. I couldn’t help saying I told you so at that point. Then somebody comes bouncing forward during Slash ‘N’ Burn and she gets very irate about being pushed around a little. Finally she gets a little bit of beer spilled on her and is in full rant mode with security trying to get people thrown out, but they just ignore her.

I would have loved to have seen that snowflake at the front 10 or 20 years ago. It’s because of people like her I will be attending less Manics shows in future.
Old 05-05-2018, 16:18
Born to end

On a positive note though I did get the following collection of pics, the best I've ever taken at a concert.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9gjo13aoa...HfrUob9Wa?dl=0
Old 05-05-2018, 20:31
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theb00radley View Post
I was stood front centre just 4 rows from the barrier, and unfortunately next to one of the most despicable concert goers I’ve ever known.

There was a big empty space in front of her and her friend, so I stepped into the space to have a chat with somebody I know on the barrier. She then starts giving me attitude about how I’m now ruining her view. After a little heated discussion I take my place behind her again to shut her up, but I added that she needs to fill that space in front of her or somebody else will. It seemed that she thought she had the right to a one metre exclusion zone in front of her to get the best possible view.

Inevitably a couple move up to take this big empty space, so she tried to fight them off to protect it but did not win that battle. I couldn’t help saying I told you so at that point. Then somebody comes bouncing forward during Slash ‘N’ Burn and she gets very irate about being pushed around a little. Finally she gets a little bit of beer spilled on her and is in full rant mode with security trying to get people thrown out, but they just ignore her.

I would have loved to have seen that snowflake at the front 10 or 20 years ago. It’s because of people like her I will be attending less Manics shows in future.
Are you very tall though? I'm pint size and some people do think they can take over your personal space....and cos you're small you won't notice....big flaw in that logic.....No, it weren't me. I seethe quietly And I'm fine with beer....
I wouldn't let it stop you going to other gigs though. Not at all.
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 05-05-2018, 23:43
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Are you very tall though? I'm pint size and some people do think they can take over your personal space....and cos you're small you won't notice....big flaw in that logic.....No, it weren't me. I seethe quietly And I'm fine with beer....
I wouldn't let it stop you going to other gigs though. Not at all.
No, I'm not that tall at 5'9" and she was not much shorter.

It's not just her behaviour that makes me reluctant to go in future, it seems the whole front section has been hijacked by people with no energy. I miss the old days too much when it wasn't a good gig unless I left soaked in sweat. Maybe I just need to grow up
Old 06-05-2018, 06:56
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
Leeds is definitely one of the better arenas, and i'm glad I chose this and a 2 hour drive home afterwards than the 'home' gig of Newcastle (hate that arena so much).

This is the first arena gig I've been to in a while, so the security upgrades were a bit of a shock. I understand their purpose but walking out the arena to see armed police officers standing there (in Tory power stance) was scary. Last time I seen police at a Manics gig was 20 years ago at Bridlington when mounted police were outside the gig at the end. Obviously they thought that 'young people' in town would cause trouble, when all we wanted to do was pat the horses!!

Some of the 'security' was a bit arbitrary and extreme. On going in a lady in the queue next to us was told she couldn't take her medication in. When she queried what would happen if she were taken ill she was told 'we'll call the medics', 'cos paramedics just love 999 calls to treat people who have had their essential meds confiscated. The person in front of me was told that her sweets would have to be confiscated. I was carrying sweets and nobody, and I mean NOBODY, takes my Hotel Chocolate sweeties off me without a fight. Fortunately the security lady was distracted which allowed me to remove goodies into my pocket and were thus saved from the bag check. Got my paracetamol through the check no problem though...
Fucking hell, really? Thought they were overzealous without shit like that. Fucking disgraceful. My moan is much more trivial, my wife wasn’t even allowed in with her bag, even after she’d emptied it between my pockets and hers. By strict definition it was a rucksack but once we were in saw plenty of handbags bigger than that in there. Apparently they’ve got a zero tolerance of rucksacks in there, even small empty ones. Not sure what that’s about, fuck all to do with space there, fuck all to do with smuggling, just a shit rule for the sake of a shot rule but by god you could see the security supervisor getting off on it. I think he may have actually jizzed his pants.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theb00radley View Post
No, I'm not that tall at 5'9" and she was not much shorter.

It's not just her behaviour that makes me reluctant to go in future, it seems the whole front section has been hijacked by people with no energy. I miss the old days too much when it wasn't a good gig unless I left soaked in sweat. Maybe I just need to grow up
I'd call that tall. Don't grow up any further

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Fucking hell, really? Thought they were overzealous without shit like that. Fucking disgraceful. My moan is much more trivial, my wife wasn’t even allowed in with her bag, even after she’d emptied it between my pockets and hers. By strict definition it was a rucksack but once we were in saw plenty of handbags bigger than that in there. Apparently they’ve got a zero tolerance of rucksacks in there, even small empty ones. Not sure what that’s about, fuck all to do with space there, fuck all to do with smuggling, just a shit rule for the sake of a shot rule but by god you could see the security supervisor getting off on it. I think he may have actually jizzed his pants.
Owing to the terrorist attack. Rucksack. No. 1 suspect - on the list - not getting in. Don't care if it's empty, tiny, over 21 years of age. Rules are rules

I don't see why they can't apply a little common sense. Some people going in might be a little nervous, everyone wants to enjoy the night why can't security work a bit more towards ensuring that rather than treating everyone as suspect ..... give some people a little bit of power
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 06-05-2018, 13:14
Bored out of my mind

No rucksacks of any kind or size were allowed at Llandudno either; it seems to be a more common policy since the Manchester attack. People behind us in the queue there were told they would have to put them in their cars/hotels etc. before doors opened. I think some of the tickets for this tour had a no rucksack symbol on them too.
Old 07-05-2018, 19:10
Born to end

Was a great gig and really enjoyed the new songs and the Stay Beautiful acoustic. Was a bit of a shock though at the extreme security measures for getting in as haven't been to an arena in a couple of years. A sign of the times sadly. A shame that the gig was nowhere near a sell out either, though we did manage to get moved to seats closer to the front so that was a bonus
Old 08-05-2018, 06:16
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Owing to the terrorist attack. Rucksack. No. 1 suspect - on the list - not getting in. Don't care if it's empty, tiny, over 21 years of age. Rules are rules

I don't see why they can't apply a little common sense. Some people going in might be a little nervous, everyone wants to enjoy the night why can't security work a bit more towards ensuring that rather than treating everyone as suspect ..... give some people a little bit of power
Course I understand the need for enhanced security sometimes, but can't really see a third full gig in Leeds on a Wednesday being much of a target for terrorism. The thing that wound us up about the bag thing is - yeah, they were right on what a rucksake is - but.. one strap good, two straps bad... they didn't care that it was empty, just didn't think it was a distinction worth making in the name of security, what can it possibly have to do with security? Especially after seeing so many handbags with one strap in the gig bigger than the rucksack we weren't allowed to take in.

I wonder if shit like that is partly to do with people staying away from the gig. I'd gladly never go to an arena again, yeah it's the world we're in and security is going to go into overdrive but suspect that more often than not it's more to do with stopping people smuggle in a hip flask than a bomb. Or fucking medication, can't believe that happened, what the fuck were they doing rationalising that? If it were me, I'd have kinda hoped for something to happen and for them to be held accountable. The first lot of security we dealt with were fair enough, quite apologetic and I got the impression that they were embarrassed by their own rules. Security supervisor, by fuck he was one arrogant prick. Aye, nail on head there again, everyone wants to enjoy the night, but yeah we're all suspects and there'll always be some member of security who'll regard each and every one of us with contempt, just made me feel like I was in a toxic atmosphere before we were even in.