Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 10:36
Doors slowly closing

Spectators of Suicide 2020 ft. Gwenno

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000p61g

Skip to 1:49 or a bit earlier to hear the story
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:59
Knowlede Is Power

Nice. Very nice.

Similar to when they played it live at the Heavenly gig 10 years ago or whenever it was.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:58
Bored of being bored

Fantastic! I love Gwenno, she was brilliant at the TIMTTMY gigs. Her voice works really well on this. It's really nice to have something new from the Manics this year too, even if it is an old song!
Old 07-11-2020, 12:42
Bored of being bored

Beautiful
Old 07-11-2020, 12:44
Bored of being bored

Hope this will be a available to download.
Old 07-11-2020, 13:13
Doors slowly closing

I love it, we need a proper release somewhere!

Honestly it made me want them to re-record all of GT immediately... (!) Not that I would ever want them to replace the original(s), but as an alternate version (and even on the radio) it was just breathing so much more with modern production.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 07-11-2020, 13:43
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post

Honestly it made me want them to re-record all of GT immediately... (!) Not that I would ever want them to replace the original(s), but as an alternate version (and even on the radio) it was just breathing so much more with modern production.
I've been thinking this for a few years now. Wouldn't be the first time it's been done, John Cale recently re-imagined Music for a New Society. I'd love to hear a heavenly version of Generation Terrorist, making the album sound like an 80's glam band was pretty much the worst musical decision they've ever made. Would take an acoustic version as well, the Rough Trade session is worth a listen to validate the awesomeness of that prospect.

I'm warm on this version, has shades of Echo & The Bunnymen, nice big drum sound on the intro, but the dual vocals on the bridge and outro kill the build-up and catharsis of the original.

Sounds like it'll be released next week (or is it this week now?)

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 07-11-2020, 17:39
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post

The closest thing we have is that GT acoustic show. The first time I actually heard the music

https://youtu.be/95zWf0_DeZA
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 07-11-2020, 18:57
Winterlover

I really like her voice....and hoping Mr Bradfield isn't reading...think she should have sung the whole song...maybe Bradfield coming in to join on the chorus.....that works for me...yes

Lyrically it's a bit of a lockdown anthem....

80's glam rock GT Good point thinking on it...when it came out it was refreshing ...and I loved Motorcycle Emptiness I remember but probably struggled to find its place without being quite distinct enough to fashion its own....yep I erm was listening to the likes of Poison (who I loved...I confess...) and erm Tigertailz, Warrant ...I was very young..(still love a bit o Dogs D'Amour though...and...shall I stop...OK) ..and erm yes before dropping into thrash/death metal for a time...before they saved me with the Holy Bible (but of course)....

what lockdown does to a brain
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 07-11-2020, 21:20
Winterlover

Well now, that's the second pleasant surprise of the day.

Sounds superb i think even though i still prefer the heavenly version. This also sounds slower to me and i agree the build-up towards the end is robbed a bit but i have zero problem with gwenno's voice and james sounds bloody fantastic. I hope this isn't going to be another hidden gem that we don't get a high quality download of.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 07-11-2020, 21:29
Freed from the century

Wow, another vote for this being commercially available please !

Her voice works great on this. The Heavenly version has always been head and shoulders above the GT version (can we just forget that exists now please?) but the demo version on the GT reissue hinted that they were frustratingly close to getting a good album version before they tried to do a bad GN'R Lies impression (owim o way owin o way etc.) Glad they've had a chance to come back to it as it remains one of their best early songs.

Slight shame it's lost the Bobby Seale intro (my vote for best Manics sample in a very crowded race) but the extra guitar fills and that outro more than make up for it. Would almost have thought it was the same drum track but Sean is just a machine isn't he ? (GT aside where ironically he actually was!)

Can they do a decent version of Faceless Sense of Void next please ?

Last edited by Glyn; 07-11-2020 at 22:27.
Old 07-11-2020, 21:52
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
demo version on the GT reissue
The house in the woods demo is great and a punchier version that is most comparable to this new one but that's no real surprise. I would have liked the guitar solo outro from that as well as the bobby seale quote of course.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 07-11-2020, 22:49
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The house in the woods demo is great and a punchier version that is most comparable to this new one but that's no real surprise. I would have liked the guitar solo outro from that as well as the bobby seale quote of course.
Yep, that's the one. Astounding to me that they went from that, to ending up what's on GT. A polished version of that have been a good 'epic' counterpoint to Motorcycle Emptiness on the album, I would say.

*Conjecture Alert* I personally suspect it may have been self sabotage, as from memory James was a bit embarrassed about the song being very old (Colt 45 Rusty James being one of their earliest songs I think?). It was certainly suggested on a documentary that James was completely nonplussed ,to the point of being rather annoyed ,about how much the head of Heavenly liked SoS. It probably is quite hard to be confident of a song you wrote when very young, but it's a shame as it's a great tune.

Last edited by Glyn; 08-11-2020 at 11:37.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:38
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Manic Street Preachers: *prefers Hitler over Slowdive*

Also Manic Street Preachers: *makes world's two best post-shoegaze tracks*

(Original SoS and Motorcycle Emptiness.)

Ah, well. They never promised to be logically consistent, did they?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:44
Doors slowly closing

They should go wild for GT’s 30th and do remixed and reimagined versions of the album. One version with proper drums and more organic production and another of completely new versions like this.

Also, sorry to Nick Nasmyth and Wayne Murray, but they should finally get a female voice in the touring band too. JDB has obviously wanted that in the music for a while.