Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17
Bryter Layter Bryter Layter is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hogtown
Posts: 5,717
Relic, you're right! I'm absolutely making assumptions - I blame lack of sleep and far too much cold meds for this.
Ok, I'll shut up now! LOL!

Still, do you think they could possibly get away with 150 people at a gig in Britain?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19
Ben's Avatar
Ben Ben is offline
Footprint of history
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 36
Posts: 20,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Still, do you think they could possibly get away with 150 people at a gig in Britain?
It depends what you mean by 'get away with'. They could easily do it, and it would sell out. I guess that's all you can really hope for from a gig.
__________________
Manics Shows
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:27
Bryter Layter Bryter Layter is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hogtown
Posts: 5,717
I guess I should rephrase my question as, have they ever played to in a venue that holds 150 people post 1996? I'm inclined to believe that that's not likely a scenario they would ever entertain down your way.

Man, I should probably just gracefully bow out of this discussion as I appear to be getting my ass handed to me.

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 12-10-2009 at 10:38.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38
Ben's Avatar
Ben Ben is offline
Footprint of history
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 36
Posts: 20,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
I guess I should rephrase my question as, have they ever done it before, post 1996? I'm inclined to believe that it's not likely a scenario they would ever entertain down your way.

Man, I should probably just gracefully bow out of this discussion as I appear to be getting my ass handed to me.
I doubt that they would necessarily do a show of that size as they can fill bigger venues which would mean more money. They do seem to be mixing things up a bit more though, so hopefully there'll be some smaller shows in the future.

I don't think you're having your ass handed to you (not from me at least) - I think it's just a bit of a breakdown in communication.
__________________
Manics Shows
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-10-2009, 12:32
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Exactly. They seemed to really enjoy the tour and Sean thought it was a success. James was very glad to have actually made it through a whole tour! Apparently, they are looking to do more European festivals in order to try and recoup some of the debt they are in from this tour and to help subsidize another one after the new album (which they start recording in November apparently).
Which is shame. I don't understand their strategy at all. When they played in Prague in 2002, there was a crowd of 4000 people and lotta space in media which helped them very much, TBTGOG was well-reviewed in papers, made local TV chart etc. I don't understand why not to do a normal European tour. Instead they play in US for hundreds of people. - Nothing against it, it's fine, but why not Europe? Festivals are pretty pointless, today no-one in Czech republic would travel to Poland or Hungary to see Manics playing their festival set. Me and my friends hate their festival performances and there is nobody else so excited
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-10-2009, 12:47
Ben's Avatar
Ben Ben is offline
Footprint of history
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London, UK
Age: 36
Posts: 20,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Which is shame. I don't understand their strategy at all. When they played in Prague in 2002, there was a crowd of 4000 people and lotta space in media which helped them very much, TBTGOG was well-reviewed in papers, made local TV chart etc. I don't understand why not to do a normal European tour. Instead they play in US for hundreds of people. - Nothing against it, it's fine, but why not Europe? Festivals are pretty pointless, today no-one in Czech republic would travel to Poland or Hungary to see Manics playing their festival set. Me and my friends hate their festival performances and there is nobody else so excited
Festivals are more lucrative than regular gigs which is why they're doing them. I don't know why they don't tour Europe proper though. I think the US tour had quite a lot of backing from Rob Stringer who has always been a huge supporter of the band and is now based in the States I believe.
__________________
Manics Shows
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-10-2009, 13:56
tzb's Avatar
tzb tzb is offline
Under neon loneliness
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 33,915
Without meaning to be controversial with the non-UK members, does anyone else think they often just have a lot of apathy for foreign tours in general? We all know Nicky doesn't like travelling and outside of Japan I don't see a huge drive by the other two to tour other parts of the world. I really have always seen them as the sort of guys who'd rather watch the rugby and be big fish in a small pond than the remotest desire to be successful on a global scale.

I mean I'm not questioning their enjoyment of tours in europe, the US and further afield when they're actually doing the tours - it's pretty plain to see they appreciate the different experience of playing for completely different sorts of crowds. But the actual drive/motivation to go itself seems somewhat lacking, and I guess with their fairly sedentary lives and respective families that is kind of understandable.

Sorry if that pisses anyone off, I'm just calling it as I see it. Now priorities have shifted I can't imagine a more "settled" band really.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-10-2009, 14:42
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Festivals are more lucrative than regular gigs which is why they're doing them.
I guess it's also easier to do a fest than to organize a tour. But I read a interview with James in 96 or 97 in a Czech magazine and he said he hated festivals and ha thought everyone was going on festivals only to drink and have fun not to listen to music properly - which is true and it's a reason why I don't go to any of them. So I don't understand their festival appereances in last years at all... I'd appreciate if they decided not to play in Europe at all more than doing 4 or 5 festivals a year.

Apparently James also said that someone had mistaken him for an Oasis's crew member at a gig when Manics had supported them
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-10-2009, 15:24
Amanda's Avatar
Amanda Amanda is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Without meaning to be controversial with the non-UK members, does anyone else think they often just have a lot of apathy for foreign tours in general? We all know Nicky doesn't like travelling and outside of Japan I don't see a huge drive by the other two to tour other parts of the world. I really have always seen them as the sort of guys who'd rather watch the rugby and be big fish in a small pond than the remotest desire to be successful on a global scale.

I mean I'm not questioning their enjoyment of tours in europe, the US and further afield when they're actually doing the tours - it's pretty plain to see they appreciate the different experience of playing for completely different sorts of crowds. But the actual drive/motivation to go itself seems somewhat lacking, and I guess with their fairly sedentary lives and respective families that is kind of understandable.

Sorry if that pisses anyone off, I'm just calling it as I see it. Now priorities have shifted I can't imagine a more "settled" band really.
A few years ago maybe - but I'd say over the last few years they've really come round to the idea of travelling and the like - and I don't think necessarily to get some kind of global success, especially with the US tour that really was just to go over there and give something back. Maybe it will be the start of something but at this stage in there career who knows.

In general I think you can see why they'd rather do the festival route as someone pays you to go play so theres less financial risk involved in going there. That said with things like the US tour there was definitely ways they could have done it cheaper (only hire one bus, stay in cheaper hotels etc etc but it comes down to a how much do you want to rough it type question).

I think Wire especially you can see the difference in as compare him ten years ago when he was saying about not renewing his passport to the Wire that seemed to love touring America and was happy to talk to and have his photo taken with everyone and get tips on where to play next time they come. So I think the idea that he hates travelling is actually quite dated.

I think the danger is people are turning it into some kind of one up man ship and I can see why the North American fans don't want people raining on their parade as from the half I saw it really was an amazing tour - I didn't see a bad gig the whole time and I can't think of the last UK tour I could say that about, and there was just a really good feel to the whole thing like you could see how much it meant to people and they really seemed to take that on board.

But by the same respect, I don't think any of the gigs were such that its out of a question that you couldn't see the same thing in the UK so I can see why some people don't like the you'll never get anything like this attitude -they do play small gigs here and they do hang around and meet everyone after and they have played places without a barrier. Maybe you wouldn't get venues with candles in the middle of the hall, where you can get dinner in the venue during the support act on proper crocery or see them play a 600 capacity place and only half sell it out but the general concept isn't outside the realms of possibility.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-10-2009, 15:36
Finn's Avatar
Finn Finn is offline
HBIC
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 34,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
I guess I should rephrase my question as, have they ever played to in a venue that holds 150 people post 1996? I'm inclined to believe that that's not likely a scenario they would ever entertain down your way.

Man, I should probably just gracefully bow out of this discussion as I appear to be getting my ass handed to me.
Scala was 200 on 12th September 2001. I think Renfrew Ferry (which was later) was somewhere between the two.

I can imagine that they were very pleased to see some fresh faces though and I accept that the US tour rocked
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-10-2009, 20:35
The Gutless Wonder's Avatar
The Gutless Wonder The Gutless Wonder is offline
Bored out of my mind
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: World Headquarters of 'Team JDB' and CoJ
Posts: 42,821
I understand what Stu is getting at, but prehaps with the success of this US tour in terms of the reaction of the fans over there they might feel more motivated. They are promising to go again in the next couple of years so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-10-2009, 20:45
thecanuck thecanuck is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: kingston ontario canada
Age: 35
Posts: 17
i think the north american tour was a "fans" tour. in all honesty i dont think theyll be back anytime soon, but i would like to be proved wrong!

but the show they put on in toronto, i bet they made a few more fans
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-10-2009, 20:48
The Gutless Wonder's Avatar
The Gutless Wonder The Gutless Wonder is offline
Bored out of my mind
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: World Headquarters of 'Team JDB' and CoJ
Posts: 42,821
It sounds like there were a few youngsters at the gigs so hopefully they will check out the back catalogue!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-10-2009, 21:15
tzb's Avatar
tzb tzb is offline
Under neon loneliness
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 33,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
A few years ago maybe - but I'd say over the last few years they've really come round to the idea of travelling and the like - and I don't think necessarily to get some kind of global success, especially with the US tour that really was just to go over there and give something back. Maybe it will be the start of something but at this stage in there career who knows.

In general I think you can see why they'd rather do the festival route as someone pays you to go play so theres less financial risk involved in going there. That said with things like the US tour there was definitely ways they could have done it cheaper (only hire one bus, stay in cheaper hotels etc etc but it comes down to a how much do you want to rough it type question).

I think Wire especially you can see the difference in as compare him ten years ago when he was saying about not renewing his passport to the Wire that seemed to love touring America and was happy to talk to and have his photo taken with everyone and get tips on where to play next time they come. So I think the idea that he hates travelling is actually quite dated.
Yeah you're probably right, my fandom has waned somewhat since Lifeblood and I'm not keeping track of things with the same fervour I used to. If they really have got over their sedentary ways more power to them. Hopefully Wire's binned the fucking hoover and has taken up a hobby we live in hope!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-10-2009, 21:51
The Gutless Wonder's Avatar
The Gutless Wonder The Gutless Wonder is offline
Bored out of my mind
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: World Headquarters of 'Team JDB' and CoJ
Posts: 42,821
You can have a quiet life and still be rock and roll!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.