Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-10-2009, 14:04
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfieldsLoveChild View Post
Apparently, they are looking to do more European festivals in order to try and recoup some of the debt they are in from this tour and to help subsidize another one after the new album (which they start recording in November apparently).
Where have you acquired this information from?
Old 11-10-2009, 14:09
Doors slowly closing

More European festivals?
Old 11-10-2009, 15:15
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey83 View Post
Where have you acquired this information from?
Sean Moore.
Old 11-10-2009, 15:26
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica View Post
It can be DONE, the question is do the Manics have a taste for it. Can't answer that.
I don't think they're concerned about "breaking" the US- and they didn't seem that bothered by the huge cost they were incurring by coming over. I think they just wanted to give the fans something back and have a good time. Whether that's the case with anyone else who has a financial stake in the band, I don't know, but that's the impression I got anyway.
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine
Old 11-10-2009, 15:26
Bored out of my mind

The credit crunch has bitten the Manics as well then! They won't break America but as Tim said there will always be place for a few shows for the faithful!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-10-2009, 15:33
Desire on its knees

i don't think they have any plans on breaking the american market.
i feel like this tour was a test to see where their fanbase is located so when they do come back (nicky promised!!!) they'll be able to concentrate their energies in certain areas.
james did say in a radio interview that the toronto gig made them feel guilty for neglecting north america for so long, so they'll definitely be back.
Old 11-10-2009, 15:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCarbohydrate View Post
I don't think they're concerned about "breaking" the US- and they didn't seem that bothered by the huge cost they were incurring by coming over. I think they just wanted to give the fans something back and have a good time.
I think this is spot on .. case and point in a nut shell. They don't need to conquer America any longer. I think we could argue they realised it was never going to happen a long time ago (perhaps exhibit 'A' is the lack of shows that had been played over here previously).

I got the impression though, from the shows and chatting with the band and some of the crew, they were genuinely thrilled with the way the tour had gone. Both Martin Hall and "Angus" (think he was part of the bands security??? ..anyone else chat with him?) both said there was (at least in that instance) a concrete plan to come back with the new record. Angus said there had "deliberately not been a giant push behind (JFPL) record, and it was just something the band wanted to" (I thought there had been a decent push .. just recounting the man's words ).

Having been into the Manics for the better part of 2 decades, I really feel like the band have just got to the point (and I think SATT and its success induced this) where they are just in love with what theyre doing, proud of their accomplishments and really are humbled by and appreciative of their fan base. I don't think James, Nicky or Sean (at the GT age of 21) thought they would be still strutting it at 40, or pulling the audiences (on both sides of the "pond") that they still do.

That really interesting info from Sean ..about having incurred debt on this tour. America will not be conquered for the Manics, but it will continue to be a place where the recognise a decent enough fan base exists and (hopefully) now that theyve achieved a full tour, will encite them to keep that 2 year "promise".
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18
Old 11-10-2009, 16:02
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
More European festivals?
this is what I noticed too from Ben's info

they're starting being big not only in UK and Germany, but also in other places in Europe so that would be good if they followed this path imho.
Old 11-10-2009, 16:06
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by &ria View Post
i don't think they have any plans on breaking the american market.
i feel like this tour was a test to see where their fanbase is located so when they do come back (nicky promised!!!) they'll be able to concentrate their energies in certain areas.
Nice. So the 150 million US citizens south of the 41st parallel don't even count as part of the fanbase they're CONSIDERING trying to build?

Thaaaaaaat's a good business plan.
Old 11-10-2009, 16:18

Quote:
Nice. So the 150 million US citizens south of the 41st parallel don't even count as part of the fanbase they're CONSIDERING trying to build?

It's a shame N.America is so big because they'd probably draw bigger crowds farther south than they did in, say, Philadelphia, but they'd be remiss to not play Toronto again after their rapturous reception there.

I wonder what's the daily cost of touring? Could they afford to have more travel time between gigs in the hopes of reaching a bigger fanbase?

Regardless, the next time they play Toronto, I'll be there (with my husband -- he's been converted) and I'll drag dome other music fans along, too, because they're such an amazing live band.

(And TheGreatPretender and I vow to queue early next time! Screw familial obligations!)
Old 11-10-2009, 16:18

Quote:

Austin TX should have been a definite stop, I was surprised that something wasn't set up for them to be included on the ACL festival since they were in the country at the same time. Washington DC should also have been covered (but admittedly I'm biased on that one HAHA).
Old 11-10-2009, 16:52
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
I'm sure that the tour has cemented fan loyalty amongst those who were already interested in the band. It may have created a couple of new fans and they may continue to be a bit of a "cult" band over there, with a song played on small radio stations every now and then. I wouldn't be shocked if the band decided to try another small tour in 2 or 3 years, but I think they're at a point where they've realised they're not going to break America, nor are they massively interested in attempting to do so.

They're at a point in their career where they know where their fans are and how large their fan base is and I think this tour has been about thanking them for their loyalty and giving them something back, but that's about it, really.

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 11-10-2009, 16:58
Born to end

I think the band has enough money and success that any money they'd lose in America doesn't even matter.

Playing in America gives the band a chance to do something they can't do anywhere else. Here they can play small intimate shows and interact with the audience. Almost every performer enjoys the small venue show over the large one. Where else can the Manics do that?

I can tell you that they were having an absolute blast. It's kind of amusing. Us American fans used to be jealous of you fans on the other side of the Atlantic for actually getting to see the band. And now you're jealous of us for our small intimate shows and the fact that we got to interact and, in my case, hug the band!
Old 11-10-2009, 17:00
Under neon loneliness

They can do it wherever they want. They could put on a gig at a 300-capacity venue in Wales far easier than they could in the US.
Old 11-10-2009, 17:03
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
They can do it wherever they want. They could put on a gig at a 300-capacity venue in Wales far easier than they could in the US.
Enjoy paying out the ass for that.