Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 08:07
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkymotown View Post
How many MSP albums have had track 2 as lead single?

Off the top of my head...

GATS
EMG
TIMT
LB
SATT
RIF

Any others?
Wonder if that ought to count? No video for Underdogs, limited edition 7", don't ever remember hearing it on the radio, erased from history on the 10th anniversary... suspect the band see Your Love Alone as the lead single, that's when the publicity cycle kicked in if I remember rightly.

Do JFPL and RTF count? I remember Zane Lowe premiering Peeled Apples and that being the first song broadcast anywhere for Journal, think he might've been meant to play Jackie Collins but it came down to personal preference on the day? Course, there were no actual singles for the album, couple of promos but at least Jackie got a video, think really Jackie is as much a single as International Blue or Distant Colours given their lack of physical release too.

RTF, yeah, like Peeled Apples, the title track was the first song broadcast from the album. Got a promo of it, love the video, but Show Me The Wonder was the one with the 7"s.

But yeah, 2's a good number for em.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:17
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvidg View Post
According to Music Week, Rewind The Film sold 59,311 and Futurology 49,826.
That's interesting, would've expected Futurology to have been more commercially popular than Rewind The Film.

Just gone through the tours, for Futurology the total capacities for the venues they did on the UK tour was around 49,000 and for Rewind The Film only about 20,000 even counting Festival No6. So the more low-key album and tour was more successful, in the UK at least.

Wonder if this time around they're gonna sell more gig tickets than albums, not out of the question looking at those figures.
Old 01-03-2018, 15:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
Brilliant. Thank you! What territories do these sales cover?
That I do not know, sorry :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
That's interesting, would've expected Futurology to have been more commercially popular than Rewind The Film.
Not to mention that F charted at #2 in the UK, whereas RTF landed at #4 (if I remember right). But then of course that's only down to sales on the release week.
Old 01-03-2018, 15:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkymotown View Post
How many MSP albums have had track 2 as lead single?

Off the top of my head...

GATS
EMG
TIMT
LB
SATT
RIF

Any others?
Futurology with WMTTB
Old 01-03-2018, 16:06
Freed from the century

Quote:
Yes, this was a huge surprise to me too. I don't really understand why Futurology sold the way it did, as I would consider it the more accessible of the two. Futurology is also musically much more similar to SATT, TIMTTMY and EMG, which were very commercially successful.

Quote:
That I do not know, sorry :\
No problem at all! Thanks for finding the data.
Old 01-03-2018, 17:40
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Not to mention that F charted at #2 in the UK, whereas RTF landed at #4 (if I remember right). But then of course that's only down to sales on the release week.
Oh was that just the first week sales? I don't even know where to look for up to date figures.. Wonder what Holy Bible sales figures are like now, taking into account the original formats, 10th and 20th anniversary and the RSD picture discs...

Quote:
Yes, this was a huge surprise to me too. I don't really understand why Futurology sold the way it did, as I would consider it the more accessible of the two. Futurology is also musically much more similar to SATT, TIMTTMY and EMG, which were very commercially successful.
Looking back, I think there was a fair bit against Futurology as far as timing goes. Rewind The Film had the advantage of being the come back album after cracking on for three years and not that long after the International Treasures tour, which I think must've helped em regain a bit of popularity?

As for Futurology, I'll be surprised if that went off as planned cos it doesn't make sense. Rewind The Film did, Resistance Is Futile does, album out, give everyone a couple of weeks to learn the words then tour. Wonder how much of the album will get an airing too. My top three from Futurology never even got played, Next Jet, Black Square, Misguided Missile.. Just thinking about the Postcards tour too, seeing the merch with I Think I've Found It and Don't Be Evil on t-shirts and badges, but neither em being played. Would've thought if it's good enough to go on a t-shirt it's good enough to go in the setlist, weird.

Soz, this got a bit rambling.
Old 01-03-2018, 20:11
Freed from the century

Quote:
Just thinking about the Postcards tour too, seeing the merch with I Think I've Found It and Don't Be Evil on t-shirts and badges, but neither em being played.
Found that very strange at the time too. Wondered of the back of that if I Think I've Found It and Don't Be Evil were maybe intended to be singles.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:11
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Found that very strange at the time too. Wondered of the back of that if I Think I've Found It and Don't Be Evil were maybe intended to be singles.
I loved the tour, but is that their most unplayed album? As far as I recall they've never played Auto-Intoxication, I Think I've Found It, All We Make Is Entertainment and Don't Be Evil.. A Billion Balconies Facing The Sun and The Future Has Been Here 4 Ever were only played a couple of times each too. Strange for such a long initial tour and still so much of it to not get touched. Wonder if any of em ever will be.
Old 04-03-2018, 15:04
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
The topic is "Renaissance" so what Manics song could I try and get on the playlist?
I did think "Pretension/Repulsion" due to Odalisque by Ingres reference but think that might be a century after the initial renaissance period. Any ideas?

Very good chance nothing will be picked, bit of a running joke about me always trying to get Manics onto it.
Old 04-03-2018, 18:49
Winterlover

Quote:
I loved the tour, but is that their most unplayed album?
Statistically, Lifeblood is the album with the least plays.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:48
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
Statistically, Lifeblood is the album with the least plays.
I meant least represented, sorry. They've never played Emily, Glasnost, Always/Never or Fragments on tour. Well, they did Fragments in session so really just the three songs that've never been performed live, with four on Postcards. Both are 12 track albums, so 3/4 Lifeblood and 2/3 Postcards. If we're counting Fragments... Which I'm not sure we should...

Then again, I've seen Everything Will Be and Firefight too. Shame none of the Postcards b-sides got an airing.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:38
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I meant least represented, sorry. They've never played Emily, Glasnost, Always/Never or Fragments on tour. Well, they did Fragments in session so really just the three songs that've never been performed live, with four on Postcards. Both are 12 track albums, so 3/4 Lifeblood and 2/3 Postcards. If we're counting Fragments... Which I'm not sure we should...

Then again, I've seen Everything Will Be and Firefight too. Shame none of the Postcards b-sides got an airing.
A Song for Departure got touted a couple of times recently, and on Jools Holland back in the day.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:27
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
A Song for Departure got touted a couple of times recently, and on Jools Holland back in the day.
Aye, missed A Song For Departure both times round, would love to see it live. Ah, well at least I got To Repel Ghosts, think that's only been played twice.
Old 05-03-2018, 20:36
Winterlover

Quote:

Ah I get you.

As you say, most Lifeblood songs got an airing, although a lot of the chances of songs getting a run out has more to do with the length of the tour and the length of the album. Owing to the THB 20, Futurology did get a rough ride, with only WMTTB, Europa and the title track getting any significant airtime. The others that were played are in single digits.

Of course, tour length and song age does play a significant part. With an 8 date tour coming up that means that (statistically,) the chances of any of the new songs getting more of a handful of plays is low just by virtue of the fact that they are competing with the classics. Presumably one or two will be kept on for future tours (if the last few albums are anything to go by.)
Old 09-03-2018, 23:53
Freed from the century

Does anyone remember Nicky's Secret Society, around the time of IKTZ? It'll all very wavy lines, but I seem to remember it being a mailing list. You signed up and got a download. I can't remember which song, and I don't recall ever actually getting any e-mails.