Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-05-2010, 22:35
I live to fall asleep

Interesting review of the book. Maybe we can all write our version of what happened and make some cash. Sorry that sounded very cynical and I didn't mean it, just sceptical abt the book and motives.
Old 12-05-2010, 17:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
Interesting review of the book. Maybe we can all write our version of what happened and make some cash. Sorry that sounded very cynical and I didn't mean it, just sceptical abt the book and motives.
Skepticism?!?!? Not on this forum!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 19:28
Born to end

It's healthy to be sceptical

On the plus side - well, probably on the plus side - reading 'Richard' has made me think maybe it's time to stop holding my breath, so I've bought Simon Price's book and am actually going to READ A BOOK ABOUT THE MANICS! It's funny, in 1993 I'd have killed for all these books you can get now, devoured them, memorised them and then pasted them all over my walls, but after Richey... I just couldn't bring myself to even open one. A friend bought me Forever Delayed when it came out, and it was about 5 years before I could even flick through it! Stupid, I know.

But anyway, apparently the Simon Price is amazing, and it may mean I come on here in a week with a completely changed mind about Ben Myers. Incidentally, I had an email from Myers, and he seems very sweet. But I also met Simon Price once, back in the day, and he was a fabulous dude, so I'm off to - finally - read 'Everything'.

Lulu
www.lampandbook.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2010, 19:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampandbook View Post
It's healthy to be sceptical

On the plus side - well, probably on the plus side - reading 'Richard' has made me think maybe it's time to stop holding my breath, so I've bought Simon Price's book and am actually going to READ A BOOK ABOUT THE MANICS! It's funny, in 1993 I'd have killed for all these books you can get now, devoured them, memorised them and then pasted them all over my walls, but after Richey... I just couldn't bring myself to even open one. A friend bought me Forever Delayed when it came out, and it was about 5 years before I could even flick through it! Stupid, I know.

But anyway, apparently the Simon Price is amazing, and it may mean I come on here in a week with a completely changed mind about Ben Myers. Incidentally, I had an email from Myers, and he seems very sweet. But I also met Simon Price once, back in the day, and he was a fabulous dude, so I'm off to - finally - read 'Everything'.

Lulu
www.lampandbook.blogspot.com
Glad that you're inspired to read other Manics-related things - and to join this forum, that's where the madness starts.
Old 12-05-2010, 19:46
Doors slowly closing

hmmm, not something i think id read. i agree with the person who said they didnt want to see richey reduced to an easy read. i think trying to get inside his head is impossible especially when he's not about anymore. the best way to do it is to listen to his lyrics in my opinion, not read words written by someone who isnt him.
Old 15-05-2010, 16:53
Born to end

Reading 'Everything', I've just been shocked to my very foundations to find on page 59 a mention given to the fanzine, The Scream, that me and my best friend wrote. That's kind of validated that I was actually there and did actually do someting of note, however small. I didn't actually think anyone had read it... Bless it.

Lulu
xx
Old 15-05-2010, 17:07
Administrator

I hadn't been paying much attention to this thread, but some of the personal abuse seems a bit unjustified, given it's possible he is a member.
Old 15-05-2010, 17:30
The Artist Formerly Known as ( . )( . ) The Artist Formerly Known as ( . )( . ) is offline
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Reading 'Everything', I've just been shocked to my very foundations to find on page 59 a mention given to the fanzine, The Scream, that me and my best friend wrote. That's kind of validated that I was actually there and did actually do someting of note, however small. I didn't actually think anyone had read it... Bless it.

Lulu
xx
Any copies of the fanzine available that could perhaps be uploaded online?
Old 15-05-2010, 17:52
Born to end

I don't know that it's worth it - even assuming I can find them. I think we ran to a grand total of 6 editions, and I know I have the originals somewhere, but they could be anywhere, even in my mum's attic. They weren't about the Manics though, I'm afraid. The Scream's subtitle was "A situationist Manifesto for the 1990s", and though it was clearly inspired by the Manics, and sold mainly to Manics' fans, it was really a load of Richey-esque collages with quotes from the likes of Guy Debord, Greil Marcus and Valerie Solanas hand written over the top, and passages of youthfully exuberant Kerouac-ish prose proclaiming how bored, alienated, and despairing we were. I've always been a fan of DIY culture, and I think The Scream looked pretty good, and had some good stuff in it (Anthony Melder was a regular contributer), but I don't know how relevant it would seem today. We were young, we were inspired, we had access to my friend's mum's work photocopier...

Lulu
xx
Old 15-05-2010, 18:27
Under neon loneliness

Sounds good to me!
Old 15-05-2010, 18:29
Stretched out in the sun

I'd love to see that!
Old 15-05-2010, 20:52
Born to end

Photos of cover and sample page. I found a battered copy of issue one in a box, but lordy only knows where the rest are.

I guess I'm kinda proud of it, though there's a tiny bit of me that's cringing. But hell, I was young. And it was a better way of spending my time than getting lollyed on street corners

Hope you can make it out.

(Text says: Our future is the past. Buried icons still grow, timeless images to kick and adore. You could have saved Marilyn if you'd known her, right? But why bother? Death has not prevented her existence, only her demise. What did she do for your parents that she can't do for you? Dead celebrities never die.)

Lulu
xx
Old 15-05-2010, 20:55
Under neon loneliness

That's really cool. Like both pages a lot!
Old 15-05-2010, 20:58
Stretched out in the sun

Yeah, really really cool.
Old 15-05-2010, 22:55
The Artist Formerly Known as ( . )( . ) The Artist Formerly Known as ( . )( . ) is offline
An imitation of dignity

Quote:

(Text says: Our future is the past. Buried icons still grow, timeless images to kick and adore. You could have saved Marilyn if you'd known her, right? But why bother? Death has not prevented her existence, only her demise. What did she do for your parents that she can't do for you? Dead celebrities never die.)
Where does that text come from? Pretty damn impressive stuff for such a young mouth to spout.