Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-05-2021, 21:48
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
X Files meets 2001 : A Space Odyssey!
I'll have to take your word for that Hated that film when I saw it.

TUVL also sounds like it should be a star trek character.

Orwellian is growing on me Musn't overplay it. Must. Not.
Old 14-05-2021, 22:06
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Aww, I was enjoying reading the posts.
This is going to be a great album!
Symmetry with Lifeblood on lyrics alone.
Richey subject track, Cardiff Afterlife, ended Lifeblood.
Still Snowing In Sapporo, seemingly Richey subject, opening track of new album.
That's going to be beautiful. I'm going to enjoy going insane processing it when in my hands.
Well today it's May, it'll be September before you know it. Many curve balls going to be thrown at us. But altogether now...
"Fuck you. There's a new Manics album coming September".
Old 14-05-2021, 22:12
Knowlede Is Power

I've probably listened to Orwellian a dozen times today, and it has really grown on me. It's really very pretty, I really like the melody and the quietly quirky nature of it.

I wish it sounded a little more urgent, and I always want the Manics to sound heavier, and James' voice is far too soft for some reason, but it's... really lovely, actually, and quite interesting, and I'll take it over anything from the last album any day.
Old 14-05-2021, 22:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
If Bath forum is the new name for colston hall then that's a great venue ...Brighton dome too ...very tempted by that one
Colston Hall [is / was] in Bristol...

Dots & Dashes
Old 14-05-2021, 22:17
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
I've probably listened to Orwellian a dozen times today, and it has really grown on me. It's really very pretty, I really like the melody and the quietly quirky nature of it.

I wish it sounded a little more urgent, and I always want the Manics to sound heavier, and James' voice is far too soft for some reason, but it's... really lovely, actually, and quite interesting, and I'll take it over anything from the last album any day.
Yeah agree. It’s lovely and the chorus is really catchy.

However looking forward, I’m not sure if it’ll age well. But what a time to release it. It’s a proper September-going-into-winter sound and I think that’s where the album will come alive.
Old 14-05-2021, 22:23
Desire on its knees

I wonder how many tracks we'll get from the album before it's released. I'd love to say I can wait until the full album but I'd be a liar. Orwellian while lovely hasn't clicked for me, I really like how it sounds and I guess the production style. It's made me go back and listen to even in exile which is just a stellar album song and artwork wise
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 14-05-2021, 22:24
I live to fall asleep

Does anyone else wonder if this is the strongest song on the album hence why the release? Or is it like what James did with his solo album and release There'll Come A War first which wasn't the official single? I do hope they do physical releases for the singles this time, other bands do it still on vinyl...
Old 14-05-2021, 22:41
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Does anyone else wonder if this is the strongest song on the album hence why the release? Or is it like what James did with his solo album and release There'll Come A War first which wasn't the official single? I do hope they do physical releases for the singles this time, other bands do it still on vinyl...
This release seems to be mirroring the format of RIF exactly... down to the coloured vinyl, extra 7”, etc

So I would say no proper singles
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 14-05-2021, 22:44
Builder of routine

Do you think Happy Bored Alone is a Nicky sung one? No money so not betting. But if flush then would.
Old 14-05-2021, 22:46
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Does anyone else wonder if this is the strongest song on the album hence why the release?
Nah. I mean, THEY probably think it's the strongest song, sure, but if I sat here listing every time their opinion has been a massive pile of bollocks then we'd end up with an extremely large pile of bollocks indeed.

For what it's worth, I don't think International Blue was the strongest song on RiF. Walk Me To The Bridge certainly isn't the strongest song on Futurology. I don't think Rewind the Film is the strongest song on Rewind The Film. It's Not War can go to hell if it thinks it's the strongest song on Postcards. And so on. I do happen to think A Design For Life *might* be the strongest song on EMG, but that's the only example I can think of.

I don't think they ever choose the strongest song, I think they choose the one they think is the most radio friendly, which is a very different kettle of fish. I don't think they're usually right about that either. I'm sure there'll be 'better' stuff on the album.

Of course, I'm often wrong.
Old 14-05-2021, 23:09
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
You can also click the little black boxes and download it as a PDF.

https://flipbook.manicstreetpreacher...Innerpages.pdf
The lyrics to Diapause are just beautiful and devastating

As for Orwellian, that chorus firmly stuck whirring around my head
Old 14-05-2021, 23:15
Builder of routine

I downloaded the lyrics, got as far as the first bit of Quest For Ancient Colour and thought "Daaaaaaaaaammm!!! No, I am waiting until September!".
Old 14-05-2021, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
Nah. I mean, THEY probably think it's the strongest song, sure, but if I sat here listing every time their opinion has been a massive pile of bollocks then we'd end up with an extremely large pile of bollocks indeed.

For what it's worth, I don't think International Blue was the strongest song on RiF. Walk Me To The Bridge certainly isn't the strongest song on Futurology. I don't think Rewind the Film is the strongest song on Rewind The Film. It's Not War can go to hell if it thinks it's the strongest song on Postcards. And so on. I do happen to think A Design For Life *might* be the strongest song on EMG, but that's the only example I can think of.

I don't think they ever choose the strongest song, I think they choose the one they think is the most radio friendly, which is a very different kettle of fish. I don't think they're usually right about that either. I'm sure there'll be 'better' stuff on the album.

Of course, I'm often wrong.
I agree 100%!
As pretty much has been the case since SATT, the fact they release a pretty weak first song is always saved by a bunch of great tracks on the albums. So I have big hopes still.

Orwellian is not bad, but it’s not a strong single in any sense.
Old 14-05-2021, 23:24
Knowlede Is Power

I can't believe it's taken me a solid 24 hours to think of this, but I wonder if there's any plans to have an actual piano on stage and have Jimbo play, or whether they'll just delegate that to Naysmith's keyboards. I mean almost certainly the latter, but now that I've had the idea I desperately want to see James sat at a piano every night
Old 14-05-2021, 23:56

And let's not forget them using Nixon as the lead single for Lifeblood, which, IMO is the worst song on the album, including it's B-sides!