Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 19-12-2014, 11:32
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 36
Posts: 14,263
To be fair, every album has been a change of direction. Going from This Is My Truth to Know Your Enemy, from Know Your Enemy to Lifeblood, from Journal For Plague Lovers to Postcards From A Young Man, from Rewind The Film to Futurology - seriously, what weird fuckers do that?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 19-12-2014, 14:39
TheCasual TheCasual is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hull
Posts: 42
Some good information thanks.

I've heard the quote schizophrenic from JDB which sums it really well.

I know there has been a big change in every album, but it just seems so much greater between THB and EMG. Maybe because of all the stuff around that period exaggerates it.

But one thing I've notice is they write great melodies.

Even in doomy darkness of the THB. Songs like Yes, Faster and PCP have brilliant melodies.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 19-12-2014, 22:58
kristal17 kristal17 is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 38
EMG gets a free pass every time because of 'Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky'. The sheer majesty of that song even allows 'The Girl Who Wanted To Be God' to go unpunished, which I skip every time.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 19-12-2014, 23:16
nimrod nimrod is offline
An imitation of dignity
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 51
The transition in sound between the two albums and the accompanying B sides is immense as you say.

Just how much of a transition this was is apparent if you listen to the Stephen Hague production of Australia which was recorded in Summer 1995 at Real World studios (included in the bonus CD of EMG 10th anniversary) - just six months after the last Astoria show. The sound is pure lightweight pop.

Luckily they appeared to realise this and re-recorded it with Mike Hedges.

'Girl Who Wanted To Be God' was also recorded in Summer 1995 at Real World and curiously they appeared largely content with the results of that as they only made minimal overdubs to that track with Mike Hedges
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 20-12-2014, 01:59
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,047
Each album is a rebellion against the one that came before it - in no small part to to having recorded, heard and gigged the songs solidly for maybe 1-2 years before moving on to the next

If you'd spent a couple years playing only The Holy Bible you'd crave something a bit lighter too
__________________
V2002 Move 2003 V2006 London KoKo 2006 The Culture Show 2007 Album Chart Show 2007 XFM 2007 V2007 Glastonbury 2007 London Astoria 2007 London Brixton 2007 NME Awards 2008 NME Big Gig 2008 Forever Heavenly 2008 London Roundhouse 2009 London Forum 2009 Concert for Care 2009 XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 London Brixton Academy 2011 Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 Roundhouse 2011 London O2 2011 London Rough Trade East 2012 London Shepherds Bush 2013 London Brixton 2014 Glastonbury 2014 London Rough Trade East 2014 London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 London Roundhouse 2014 Cardiff Castle 2015 London On Blackheath 2015 London Royal Albert Hall 2016 Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 London Wembley Arena 2018 London Shepherds Bush 2019 (35)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 22-12-2014, 10:18
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 36
Posts: 14,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
Some good information thanks.

I've heard the quote schizophrenic from JDB which sums it really well.

I know there has been a big change in every album, but it just seems so much greater between THB and EMG. Maybe because of all the stuff around that period exaggerates it.

But one thing I've notice is they write great melodies.

Even in doomy darkness of the THB. Songs like Yes, Faster and PCP have brilliant melodies.
Just noticed you're from Hull, so am I. Poor sod

I love this band so much, it's just a shame they've got so much self-conflict about them on some stuff. I mean like, Nicky's banged on about not wanting to be a museum act but they're quite nostalgic, introspective and reflective people at heart which I think is shown pretty well in Rewind The Film and how proud they are of their own history and rightly so for me. On the other hand, they can be very quick to drop some stuff too. Lifeblood disappeared quite quickly, Journal For Plague Lovers hasn't been touched for nearly four years now. Equally, I'm sure it must be frustrating as hell to be on your 11th and 12th albums to still have people harping on about how great your 3rd and 4th were and how you'll never hit those heights again. Maybe in that respect Lifeblood and Futurology are going to be kindred albums like that, both great but been overshadowed by Holy Bible anniversary buzz. I hope the Futurology stuff does get kept in the set for a while, or maybe even bring in Next Jet, Black Square or Misguided Missile, that'd be great.

They're bound to associate their works with where they were, how they felt, how it was received and god knows what else. There's a lot of love for Lifeblood for example but also a lot of indifference or even more negativity and I just wish sometimes they'd think oh to hell with it, you've paid your money to see us, we don't care if this is considered a flop, we're going to do what we like.

But yeah, like you say, melodies, quite a ridiculous range really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Each album is a rebellion against the one that came before it - in no small part to to having recorded, heard and gigged the songs solidly for maybe 1-2 years before moving on to the next

If you'd spent a couple years playing only The Holy Bible you'd crave something a bit lighter too
Yeah, I think that's probably the most significant thing about their departure from Holy Bible style. Not that Everything Must Go is full of cheer but at least there's no holocaust and serial killers on there...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 22-12-2014, 14:09
NasalScarecrow's Avatar
NasalScarecrow NasalScarecrow is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 34
Posts: 7,034
Another Hull victim here, sympathies seconded.

I have an odd relationship with this album. Historically and emotionally, it's one of their most important and urgent, and much of it is uplifting. However, I rarely listen to it. I'm still in love with half of it, but I find several tracks quite mundane, and I don't think the production has stood the rest of time. The drumming sounds very weak in places.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 23-12-2014, 19:11
TheCasual TheCasual is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hull
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Just noticed you're from Hull, so am I. Poor sod

I love this band so much, it's just a shame they've got so much self-conflict about them on some stuff. I mean like, Nicky's banged on about not wanting to be a museum act but they're quite nostalgic, introspective and reflective people at heart which I think is shown pretty well in Rewind The Film and how proud they are of their own history and rightly so for me. On the other hand, they can be very quick to drop some stuff too. Lifeblood disappeared quite quickly, Journal For Plague Lovers hasn't been touched for nearly four years now. Equally, I'm sure it must be frustrating as hell to be on your 11th and 12th albums to still have people harping on about how great your 3rd and 4th were and how you'll never hit those heights again. Maybe in that respect Lifeblood and Futurology are going to be kindred albums like that, both great but been overshadowed by Holy Bible anniversary buzz. I hope the Futurology stuff does get kept in the set for a while, or maybe even bring in Next Jet, Black Square or Misguided Missile, that'd be great.

They're bound to associate their works with where they were, how they felt, how it was received and god knows what else. There's a lot of love for Lifeblood for example but also a lot of indifference or even more negativity and I just wish sometimes they'd think oh to hell with it, you've paid your money to see us, we don't care if this is considered a flop, we're going to do what we like.

But yeah, like you say, melodies, quite a ridiculous range really.



Yeah, I think that's probably the most significant thing about their departure from Holy Bible style. Not that Everything Must Go is full of cheer but at least there's no holocaust and serial killers on there...
Both RTW and PFAYM sound very nostalgic to me.

The band don't seem to like Lifeblood.

I Thought The Holy Bible Anniversary tour be ideal to play JFPL songs.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 23-12-2014, 20:00
sculptureofabloke's Avatar
sculptureofabloke sculptureofabloke is offline
Stretched out in the sun
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Age: 36
Posts: 14,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
Both RTW and PFAYM sound very nostalgic to me.

The band don't seem to like Lifeblood.

I Thought The Holy Bible Anniversary tour be ideal to play JFPL songs.
Read bits and bobs about Lifeblood being Sean's album really, I love it but again like we've been saying about the change of direction thing, they've always pickef up and lost fans along the way. Took me a while to get Lifeblood, only album that didn't really hit me right away but love it now. I think had it been released a few years later it'll have been a bigger hit. 2004 was all about stuff like Razorlight, The Strokes, The Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs... Guitar music was getting fashionable again so they do an album full of synths, typical.

Would've been nice to have seen some Journal stuff on this last tour but can't blame em not, probably only so much Richey they can take.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manics fans, never fucking happy.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 23-12-2014, 20:38
raven's Avatar
raven raven is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasual View Post
I'm new to the Manics so bare with me.

I'm know I'm stating the obvious but there a huge different in sound between The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go. It's like going from Paranoid to Pet Sounds.

There's only 21 months between the albums.

I know Richey is credited on four EMG songs.

Is it case that Nicky's writing is more suited towards anthemic types of songs, was it the band wasn't in the mindset to create a dark album or had they gone as far as they could with THB?

Just interested in what more knowledgeable people have to say.
Haven't the lyrics always guided the music? Had Richey stayed then maybe Everything Must Go would have been Holy Bible pt II cept none of the band seem sure they could have survived/coped with that.
EMG sure contained some Richey lyrics but it wasn't going to be as stark and brutal as THB plus it was an incredibly cathartic album which clearly directed the music.
Having said that, since Richey's left, sometimes the most despairing of lyrics can be held together by anthemic/cathartic tunes which in some ways trip you up and hit harder

In my muddled opinions
__________________
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)


"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.