Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 17:30
Stretched out in the sun

Not sure what possessed Wire to write “Liverpool Revisited” to be honest. It’s pretty tone deaf to the reality of the continuing fight for justice. And I’ve always defended “SYMM” but this? I can’t defend this...
Old 06-04-2018, 18:22
Knowlede Is Power

I'm really enjoying this gem. Powerful heartfelt lyrics and a lovely little vocal melody. I can already hear the Liverpool fans singing the refrain at the end in tomorrow's derby.
Old 06-04-2018, 20:11
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Big grin at the end, fucking knew they were spying on me for the shot of the Everyman with the picture with poetry on!
I was happy to see New Brighton in one of the pics.
And I did have to listen to the ending again as I wasn't sure how we got to big grin from the first minute.
I got distracted during guitar solo and needed to make sure but from first listen, it must be a better album than thought. Could all go tits up. Still won't play on me so have to rely on YouTube scraps.But it's only a few days.
Old 06-04-2018, 20:34
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
Not sure what possessed Wire to write “Liverpool Revisited” to be honest. It’s pretty tone deaf to the reality of the continuing fight for justice.
Horses for courses, but I’m genuinely baffled by this comment that seems to bear no resemblance to the song I heard.

To me it’s a hugely respectful celebration of those who have fought long and hard for justice, and gained some against the odds, whilst recognising those lost shall never be forgotten.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 06-04-2018, 21:13
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
And see the gloaming during the bit where the best thing on the trailer was?
I live under that and watch it from my house!
I maintain Wirral and Liverpool have the best gloaming in the UK.
Improves on listens but not compelled to hear over like first single. obviously was.
Old 06-04-2018, 21:17
An imitation of dignity

Yes. I dont think you have to be from the UK to understand the importance of this subject. Yes its a long time ago, but its a celebration of justice, and its a step further from the 30 year war song from rewrite the film. This is more universal. Thanks Porco.
Old 06-04-2018, 22:01
Bored out of my mind

The lyrics aren't profound but for me it's a lovely, respectful celebration of that day when we all watched the Hilsborough Justice families finally hearing that their voices had been heard. The song gets the thumbs up from the Liverpool Echo and that will do for me!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-04-2018, 22:03
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
And see the gloaming during the bit where the best thing on the trailer was?
I live under that and watch it from my house!
I maintain Wirral and Liverpool have the best gloaming in the UK.
Improves on listens but not compelled to hear over like first single. obviously was.
I will look out for that in the video Aaron!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 06-04-2018, 22:14
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs View Post
Yes. I dont think you have to be from the UK to understand the importance of this subject. Yes its a long time ago, but its a celebration of justice, and its a step further from the 30 year war song from rewrite the film. This is more universal. Thanks Porco.
Think it goes a bit deeper than Hillsborough really and is an appreciation of the spirit of the city of Liverpool in general. Really like the song.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:56
I live to fall asleep

I wish the song went on longer than what it does, it feels criminally short, the ending could be at least double in length, seems like a missed opportunity to me, but it's still a decent song. Maybe it will be break the trend of Manics singles in the last 5 years and break the top 100? .... nah.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:27
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I wish the song went on longer than what it does, it feels criminally short, the ending could be at least double in length, seems like a missed opportunity to me, but it's still a decent song. Maybe it will be break the trend of Manics singles in the last 5 years and break the top 100? .... nah.
That’s how I feel about most of their songs these days. I’ve always said that ever since their songs got butchered to fit on Forever Delayed, they’ve been writing self-made radio edits even for album tracks and LR does stand out in particular as something that just stops and gives up on itself.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
That’s how I feel about most of their songs these days. I’ve always said that ever since their songs got butchered to fit on Forever Delayed, they’ve been writing self-made radio edits even for album tracks and LR does stand out in particular as something that just stops and gives up on itself.
Agreed! Man, those edits on FD make me cringe, I remember hearing it for the first when I bought it and being appalled at what they'd done to EMG and The Everlasting in particular.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13
Builder of routine

Praps they self edit now to avoid such butcheries. I agree Liverpool revisited is a bit too short tho.
Old 07-04-2018, 14:59
I live to fall asleep

Amazing song with lots of energy! I'm really enthused, wish there was full acoustic version!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:28
Winterlover

The bit that appeared in the trailer is the most inspired piece of music out of all four songs so far and I love it, but it's a shame it's been surrounded by otherwise such a nothing of a song. And the "skie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ie-ies" etc parts are just plain bad.

Really not confident about the album anymore, and that saddens me.