Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-08-2014, 16:19
Bored of being bored

What is there to include on a new box set that wasn't put onto the tenth anniversary?

As much as I love the album I don't want to have to buy it for a third time.

A live DVD from the era would be interesting, although half of the Glasto set was in the tenth anniversary DVD.

Whilst I'd inevitably get tickets if possible I hope they don't do a full album performance. Throw in a few Holy Bible tracks when touring Futurology later in the year much like for the Lifeblood tour, but not the ful lalbum.

Hopefully it'll be something interesting and original.
Old 11-08-2014, 16:48
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
What is there to include on a new box set that wasn't put onto the tenth anniversary?
In terms of music...

Pennyroyal Tea
The b-sides
Potentially some more demos
Live show
Maybe get some brand new remixes done because the Chemical Bros ones were shite.

But then what's left for the 30th anniversary edition?
Old 11-08-2014, 17:33
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post

I agree that the idea of a full holy bible euro tour sounds a bit silly. Not meaning to want to deprive the european fans of the gig, but that's a lot of work for them and is the demand really there outside UK?
Touring is the only way they make money these days. All of Wire's chat about loving travelling and them loving playing festivals in Eastern Europe is all a smokescreen for an easy bit of cash by playing the hits.
Old 11-08-2014, 17:38
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
The record companies must love you.

When did this awful 10th anniversary, 20th anniversary, 25th anniversary re release bullshit by bands begin?

How can you justify spending upwards of £100 for a CD you probably already own more than one copy of already just because it comes with a flimsy booklet or a tacky tour pass replica?

Paint a vulgar picture.

Someone wrote on page 1 how they're not the same band anymore so a tour/thb gigs would be wrong. YES. Remember the days of DIY stencil t shirts? Even the fans are so far removed from the philosophy of the Richey-era band.

Get a grip, people. It's a money making exercise. Just say NO.

(yes, ok so i can't tell you what to do with your money, but LOOK AROUND. people can't afford to EAT. i'd rather donate to helping other people than lining the pockets of some big rip-off corporation).
1. I'd say the anniversary edition phenomenon is driven by the money lost on new material through illegal downloading. Do you torrent?

2. I can justify spending the money on THB 20th anniversary edition because it's my fav album of all time not just for the songs but the total package - concept, ideas, artwork etc etc.

3. Of course its a money making exercise. They are professional musicians, i.e. their income comes from the music that they created and sell.

4. I'll happily pay £100-£150 on the 20th anniversary edition. If you believe so strongly in what you pontificate, lets see you put your money where your mouth is and donate the same to helping people.
Old 11-08-2014, 17:41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Touring is the only way they make money these days. All of Wire's chat about loving travelling and them loving playing festivals in Eastern Europe is all a smokescreen for an easy bit of cash by playing the hits.
Festivals bring in money, I can't imagine proper euro tours are that money making and are a lot of travelling. They could just play more uk dates if they need the money (which i'm sure a hb tour wouldn't be about).

Why do we have to pay 150? what's wrong with like <50 pounds?
Old 11-08-2014, 17:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Why do we have to pay 150? what's wrong with like <50 pounds?
How much was the GT one and the NT to compare? I bought neither.

I'd say they'll push this one price wise as the ultimate collector's edition, maybe even with Richey written lyrics and the like. I don't know if it'll be £150 but it'll surely be over £100.
Old 11-08-2014, 17:49
I live to fall asleep

To be honest I don't think a gig or full on tour would work but who knows. No point in releasing another CD/DVD set as the 10th anniversary covers it. Only thing to release really is the Astoria gig in full that everyone wants and maybe a little extra stuff to go with that like interview, etc.
Old 11-08-2014, 17:50
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
To be honest I don't think a gig or full on tour would work but who knows.
I'm not saying you're wrong but they will defo be doing the gigs.
Old 11-08-2014, 18:05
Builder of routine

I don't see why they shouldn't do a tour. They've played these songs the last couple of tours anyway. So what if they don't sound like they did in '94? Everything i've heard has been great.

As for a reissue bring it on. Would be nice to see a book bundled with a vinyl release or cd or sold on it's own with all the lyrics plus cover art of all the singles and album, alongside an essay or interview discussing it all. I bet it would sell better than nicky's polaroid book

Whatever they're planning i'm sure they're not going to toss any old rubbish out considering THB is their most important album. I'm looking forward to whatever they've decided on
Old 11-08-2014, 18:11
Administrator

Quote:

I'd say they'll push this one price wise as the ultimate collector's edition, maybe even with Richey written lyrics and the like. I don't know if it'll be £150 but it'll surely be over £100.
I suspect you are overenthusiastic, there's been no hint of richey hand written lyrics, for example, and I can't imagine there's that much stuff given there was already a tenth.
Old 11-08-2014, 18:18
Winterlover

Quote:
Not sure on NT but wasn't GT only about £30 or something similar? Surprisingly cheap. I can't see a prospective re-issue of THB going to three digits personally.
Old 11-08-2014, 18:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
1. I'd say the anniversary edition phenomenon is driven by the money lost on new material through illegal downloading. Do you torrent?

2. I can justify spending the money on THB 20th anniversary edition because it's my fav album of all time not just for the songs but the total package - concept, ideas, artwork etc etc.

3. Of course its a money making exercise. They are professional musicians, i.e. their income comes from the music that they created and sell.

4. I'll happily pay £100-£150 on the 20th anniversary edition. If you believe so strongly in what you pontificate, lets see you put your money where your mouth is and donate the same to helping people.
1. No, I don't use mp3 format. I buy CDs.
2. Good for you.
3. They're millionaires, not starving artists.
4. a) £150 is more than I earn in a week b)I do.
Old 11-08-2014, 18:28
Winterlover

The best way to celebrate this would be for them to find a time machine, jump back to 2004 and get their past selves to include the three b-sides from the era on the 10th Anniversary re-release.

Beyond that, I really don't see the point of doing a tour or re-releasing it again.
Old 11-08-2014, 18:31
Winterlover

A small european tour in tiny venues would be marvellous, Paris, Berlin, München, Cologne, Prague, Vienna, Varszawa.
But at the moment if it's only UK THB gig is the only thing that would make come fly to UK again...
Old 11-08-2014, 18:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

The Paul Burrells of the Pop world strike again!