Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-06-2010, 11:34
Knowlede Is Power

Do you think they know every song on their albums by heart (not counting the B-sides and covers)?

Old 03-06-2010, 11:45
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquerel View Post
Do you think they know every song on their albums by heart (not counting the B-sides and covers)?
No. I wouldn't have thought so, and I wouldn't expect them too. I wouldn't have thought it would take long to relearn most of them though.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
I would actually argue that isn't the case - just from looking at what I've seen them play I've seen EMG far far less (almost half) than I've seen ADFL like they never played it at all on the Lifeblood tour, never played it on the half I saw of the US tour last year. I've seen EMG 79 times, where as songs like No Surface and Kevin Carter are only just behind on 68 and 60 respectively. Admittedly thats still a lot of plays but it wouldn't even make my top ten most seen songs (and bearing in mind I first saw them EMG tour so if they did always play it I'd have seen it every gig).
I'm pretty sure it was part of the Lifeblood gigs I went to and I remember it replacing Enola/Alone on their SATT setlist after 1 or 2 performances, as if they felt it was a mistake to start playing something different. It's just a shame to pick from 3 or 4 songs for what is supposed to be a masterpiece.

When was the last time anyone heard Further Away?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49
Desire on its knees

Get Condemned to Rock and Roll in there haha.

Seriously though, This will only be the third time seeing The Manics live, so it doesn't seem as 'boring' for me.
I was however a little pissed off when last year they played Sorrow 16, then all of a sudden didn't play it at the Roundhouse gig I attended.
On the forthcoming tour I'd like to see,
Yes
Roses In The Hospital
Stay Beautiful.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:59
Winterlover

All they should do is just to play smaller amount of classic songs. Play Little Baby Nothing OR You Love Us OR Motown Junk. Play EMG or Kevin Carter or Ocean Spray or You Stole The Sun From My Heart. Play ME or La Trisstesse or Despair. To rotate them every night. This could make more space for different songs and also to change our scepticism. Bacause it could happen that You miss one classic song for a few tours and then You catch it and be glad to catch it
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
All they should do is just to play smaller amount of classic songs. Play Little Baby Nothing OR You Love Us OR Motown Junk. Play EMG or Kevin Carter or Ocean Spray or You Stole The Sun From My Heart. Play ME or La Trisstesse or Despair. To rotate them every night. This could make more space for different songs and also to change our scepticism. Bacause it could happen that You miss one classic song for a few tours and then You catch it and be glad to catch it
Completely agree. This is what a lot of bands with decent back-catalogues do.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:16
Desire on its knees

I feel these songs should be on every setlist.
Design For Life
Motorcycle Emptiness
If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next
La Tristesse Durera
You Love Us
Motown Junk
Faster
I'd like to see that set of songs kept for each setlist, then just rotate other songs between each gig around them. There are only 7 songs there, if they where to play 18 songs in a set they could include whatever they wanted for the rest. It'd make each gig a little bit more personal for whoever attended.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:24
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPowell View Post
Design For Life
Motorcycle Emptiness
La Tristesse Durera
You Love Us
Motown Junk
Faster
I'd like to see that set of songs kept for each setlist, then just rotate other songs between each gig around them. There are only 7 songs there, if they where to play 18 songs in a set they could include whatever they wanted for the rest. It'd make each gig a little bit more personal for whoever attended.
I think only A Design for Life, Motorcycle Emptiness and Crucifix Kiss should be on every setlist, all the others could rotate, though I think they should pledge never to play any TIMTTMY tracks unless they're trying to keep cannabis smokers in a trance while everyone else gets away at the end.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:25
Knowlede Is Power

^ Because of SATT's success I think that must be extended with YLAINE, they love to play it and the crowd's reaction is always positive, so that'll be the ADFL of the 21th century.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:30
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquerel View Post
^ Because of SATT's success I think that must be extended with YLAINE, they love to play it and the crowd's reaction is always positive, so that'll be the ADFL of the 21th century.
Fair comment that actually.
They're sure to play You're Love Alone Is Not Enough on this tour.
It'd be nice to throw in Yes, Roses In The Hospital, Stay Beautiful and Bored Out Of My Mind for me personally, however I understand why fans want to see a few rarities thrown in. Didn't Nicky say they'd play a few rarities on the Journal For Plague Lovers Tour and it was Sorrow 16.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
I'm pretty sure it was part of the Lifeblood gigs I went to and I remember it replacing Enola/Alone on their SATT setlist after 1 or 2 performances, as if they felt it was a mistake to start playing something different. It's just a shame to pick from 3 or 4 songs for what is supposed to be a masterpiece.
Proper Lifeblood tour they did design for life, small black flowers and no surface every gig, australia everywhere but birmingham, then they did enola alone as far as nottingham where it got swapped for kevin carter. Everything Must Go only got played on the PPF tour.

On SATT they didn't play it till the 9th gig actually, Preston.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:44
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPowell View Post
Design For Life
Motorcycle Emptiness
La Tristesse Durera
You Love Us
Motown Junk
Faster
No. Not both YLU and MJ, not Tristesse everytime, not Faster everytime and neither Tolerate everytime would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Boy View Post
Crucifix Kiss should be on every setlist
Old 03-06-2010, 12:48
I live to fall asleep

Every gig:

Tolerate
Design For Life
Motorcycle Emptiness
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough

Then rotate:
Masses / You Stole The Sun / Tsunami ...
You Love Us / Motown Junk
Everything Must Go / Australia / Kevin Carter
Faster / Yes / PCP
Tristesse / Despair ...

2001 Axion Beach Rock - Zeebrugge, BEL
2002 AB - Brussels, BEL
2003 Midtfyns Festival - Ringe, Denmark
2004 IOW Festival - Isle Of Wight, UK+ Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2004 Wembley Arena - London, UK
2006 Haldern Pop - Haldern, Germany
2007 Rocknacht - Köln, Germany + Hexagon - Reading, UK + Brighton Centre - Brighton, UK
2008 Pukkelpop Festival - Kiewit, BEL
2009 Roundhouse - London, UK + Lokerse Feesten - Lokeren, BEL
2011 Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK + Cardiff International Arena - Cardiff, Wales + Pinkpop, Landgraaf, Holland + O2 Arena - London, UK
2012 Trix - Antwerp, BEL
2013 Crammerock - BEL
2014 Brixton Academy - London, UK + AB - Brussels, BEL
2016 AB - Brussels, BEL+ Royal Albert Hall - London, UK
Old 03-06-2010, 13:24
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Preface: I always enjoy every gig regardless of what they play.

However, I do think they are a bit lazy setwise. An example are Biffy Clyro- their fans seem quite similar to the Manics, it's the same mixture of casual fans and the diehard ones who only want to hear the fifth b-side off the first album. They manage their setlists really well though, they play enough to keep both happy and mix it up enough that neither side gets bored. I'm not asking for anything really obscure, but surely mixing between eras of their own singles (I'd love to hear Roses in the Hospital) isn't too much to ask? Anything with a video should be fair game!
Old 03-06-2010, 13:33
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashcc View Post
I'm not asking for anything really obscure, but surely mixing between eras of their own singles (I'd love to hear Roses in the Hospital) isn't too much to ask? Anything with a video should be fair game!
They played Roses every date of the Greatest Hits tour, PPF tour and the winter SATT tour so theres a pretty good chance they will play it again soon.

I think singles wise the only one I've not seen is Loves Sweet Exile, and given the choice I'd probably be happiest keeping it that way!