Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-09-2017, 16:13
Winterlover

Automatik, what a nice turn of phrase "the slow motion thrill" - love it!

Although I miss the physicality of music, I think we're defined by what we grow up surrounded by. Cassettes are objectively terrible with horrendous audio and yet people still love them. Obviously that’s because there's a bit more thought that goes into making a cassette vs a Spotify playlist.

That said, I have no issue with music streaming (aside from the royalties thing which properly needs sorting out.) Given that most of us have seen cassettes, CD's Vinyl & minidisc in our time - I can't say I'm wedded to any particular media type, since change has come along so quickly. Streaming might be the ideal for now - but might that change again? The thing about change is that although it may be fast, interesting or inevitable (depending on your view) - it’s a mistake to view that change as optimum and ideal at the same time. While eReaders have many plus points (the easy/optimum way to read,) the physical book remains the ideal way to read.

Anyway.. music! What I find really interesting during this time of change is the change in format towards digital music - the output musicians hasn’t changed as much. There’s no need to be constrained by an 80 minute CD and yet bands still make albums of between half an hour and 70 minutes. Which is proof that although the technology might change things beyond recognition, people don’t move anything like as fast.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 23-09-2017 at 16:22.