Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Wire

James says in the NME track by track video for JFPL that they were trying to sound like the lighter moments of Wire on VSEC then he goes onto suggest that Wire actually dont like them as a band, at which point Nicky starts to lay in to the band's output after they signed to Mute records which also suggests abit of spite between them. Can anyone else enlighten me as to what Wire said if anything was said at all?

Cheers

'I've kissed mermaids and rode the El Nino'

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56
Builder of routine

I'm not sure what it is, I've heard Colin from Wire on the radio saying he really just doesn't get them or like them in anyway.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:19

maybe they got so sue-happy after getting all that dosh off Elastica that they then tried to sue Nicky, as his second assumed pop-name was a breech of copyright
Old 02-12-2009, 12:24
Knowlede Is Power

This thread confused me so much until I realised Wire is a band.

*facepalm*
Old 02-12-2009, 12:33
Desire on its knees

Location: Back home at the Edge of the Earth AKA Deepest Darkest East Devon

Me too!!!

*double facepalm*
24/6/94 - Glastonbury Festival, 20/12/94 - London Apollo,21/10/96 - Exeter University, 19/12/98 - Exeter Westpoint Arena, 31/12/99-1/1/00 - Manic Millennium, 27/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 28/03/01 - Manchester Apollo, 25/8/01 - Reading Festival, 14/12/02 - Plymouth Pavillions, 15/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 16/12/02 - Cardiff International Arena, 4/12/04 - Brighton Centre, 10/12/04 - Plymouth Pavillions, 11/01/05 - Cardiff International Arena, 22/01/05 - Cardiff Millennium Stadium (Tsunami Benefit Gig), 11/5/07 - Cardiff University, 12/5/07 - Cardiff University, 3/6/07 - Truro Hall for Cornwall, 21/8/08 - Newport Centre, 01/6/09 - Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 22/10/10 - Bournemouth Academy.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:35

In all fairness Elastica ripped the arsehole out of 3 Girl Rumba and used it to their own end but I guess it could be argued that it was homage to the band because I know Justine Fishman was a huge Wire fan.

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 02-12-2009, 13:04
Footprint of history

That and (whisper is quietly) Elastica's songs were better (I think the rip from 'I Am The Fly' is more obvious).
Old 02-12-2009, 13:42
Doors slowly closing

Colin Newman was on Roundtable with Lamacq when JCEQT was reviewed. He scored it 0/10 but conceded it was better than the last Manics song he heard, which I imagine was Autumnsong, natch. Then Nicky, obviously having listened to the programme, decided that he no longer liked Wire. It all goes back to that mutual backslapping (or lack thereof) thing I was talking about in the other thread.
Old 02-12-2009, 14:14
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
He scored it 0/10 but conceded it was better than the last Manics song he heard, which I imagine was Autumnsong, natch.
I lol'd
Old 02-12-2009, 15:45

Does anyone have the said interview, I love Wire and I know it's irrational but I feel like I dont even want to listen to Pink Flag again, there's no reasoning with me when people are ignorant and up there own arse towards the band I grew up with. Just seems petty because the manics became famous and successful. 0/10? Nicky was right about them producing absolute shite after their first three albums, washed up cunts.

Last edited by manicbabyshambles123; 02-12-2009 at 20:52.
Old 02-12-2009, 15:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt.Duck View Post
I lol'd
You've done that a lot today
Old 02-12-2009, 15:51
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicbabyshambles123 View Post
Nicky was write about them producing absolute shite after there first three albums, washed up cunts.
Old 02-12-2009, 17:29
Builder of routine

Quote:
Colin Newman was on Roundtable with Lamacq when JCEQT was reviewed. He scored it 0/10
pretentious slut.
Old 02-12-2009, 17:39
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicbabyshambles123 View Post
Does anyone have the said interview, I love Wire and I know it's irrational but I feel like I dont even want to listen to Pink Flag again, there's no reasoning with me when people are ignorant and up there own arse towards the band I grew up with. Just seems petty because the manics became famous and successful. 0/10? Nicky was write about them producing absolute shite after there first three albums, washed up cunts.
Wow, that's a little extreme! So, you're contemplating not listening to a band you obviously dig simply because they don't dig the Manics? I don't get that! Who cares if they don't like the Manics? Why does that make their music less appealing to you? It's only a personal opinion.

I remember when Nicky said some very disparaging things about the bands I dug namely REM and in particular, Michael Stipe. Didn't put me off the Manics in the slightest or Nicky (thought he was a dick for saying it, but I still loved his band). It's only a personal opinion.

As for the band Wire, I've never enjoyed their music personally, but I do think they had every right to go after Elastica. Some of their tunes on their debut album were directly ripped from a few Wire songs.
Old 02-12-2009, 17:45
Builder of routine

Quote:
Colin Newman was on Roundtable with Lamacq when JCEQT was reviewed. He scored it 0/10 but conceded it was better than the last Manics song he heard, which I imagine was Autumnsong, natch. Then Nicky, obviously having listened to the programme, decided that he no longer liked Wire. It all goes back to that mutual backslapping (or lack thereof) thing I was talking about in the other thread.
hmmm mr newman..seems you have a problem being objective..eeeeency weeeeeency bit jealous?