Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-12-2017, 10:01
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
Anyone ever made a playlist combining EMG era and JFPL songs? I know it's not likely to gel that well but could give a (very) rough idea of a potential 4th album had Richey stayed.

Thats a very good idea!
Old 24-12-2017, 11:33
Stretched out in the sun

Always fun to interesting to think about. Do it enough with me own life, wondering how different things would be if I hadn't been there at that time, met this person, done or not done that..

Manics though... Sometimes bands have a funny attitude towards their own history, often you'll get bands who are dismissive of a certain album or era for whatever reason. Rarely it's for a line being drawn as clearly as it was in 95-96 for Manics. The Holy Bible is still my favourite album I've ever heard, and even if Richey hadn't disappeared I'd expect them to have dropped most of the album like a hot rock when the next one came around, whatever it was going to be. Perfectly understandable, it's a horrible album, not a great deal of fun in there...

Still, how many times have the sausages done it now... Everything Must Go - bit of a clue in the title, wanting to get as far from Holy Bible as they could. Know Your Enemy, wanting to get as far away from This Is My Truth as they could... Lifeblood, as far from Know Your Enemy as they could... Tigers, away from Lifeblood.. Journal fucking hell, but then Postcards trying to get away from that. I dunno, I just find the jumps from album to album more extreme than I have done for a lot of bands.

Saying all this, I'm full of shit too. For once, they've put out a lead single that wouldn't sound out of place on their previous album. Course Everything Must Go or whatever the fourth album would've been was always gonna have Richey's mark on it. Would've never been Everything Must Go as we know it, it just couldn't have been, not without the loss of their mate.
Old 29-12-2017, 02:02
Winterlover

This is an amazing theory. But for me, the strength of the related album openings (Elvis/Design & Peeled Apples/Jackie Collins) are so emphatic that it's hard to replace them. I've had a go at merging the two albums together, and it just..... it doesn't feel right. The relative strengths of both albums make it particularly hard to combine them, even though fleetingly there are similarities and kinships between them.
Old 04-01-2018, 16:18
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
Anyone ever made a playlist combining EMG era and JFPL songs? I know it's not likely to gel that well
One of the first things I did when JFPL came out. From memory, it didn't gel because the production is so strikingly different. Lyrically it works though, no matter how much Nicky tried to dumb down the binder for JFPL.