Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-09-2010, 21:59
Desire on its knees

Even if you had the free tshirt you'd still have been screwed buying the boxset...
Old 20-09-2010, 22:14
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Radio 2 and 6 Music have been hammering INWJTEOL, PFAYM is album of the week on Radio 2 and Album of the day on 6 Music, and the Manics themselves have been on both stations a few times. Let's face it, no one who listens to Radio 1 was going to buy INWJTEOL anyway, so altogether I'd say the Manics have had plenty of exposure on BBC radio. The single just ain't that good.
This is exactly why the singles chart should stop being a concern for people. The chart is on Radio 1, and it's full of songs that are played on Radio 1, which are bought by the type of people who listen to... Radio 1. If you're not on Radio 1, you can forget about getting into the top 10.

The people who listen to Radio 2 and 6 Music are the type of people who buy albums, hence why they concern themselves with Album of the Day and Album of the Week. So the people who have been hearing (INW)JTEOL will (hopefully) have been saying "ahh, I must buy this album."

Perhaps they shouldn't have bothered re-signing with Sony, so they didn't have the same level of commercial expectations. Then again, would smaller labels have enough clout with schedulers and playlist makers to get them featured in the places they have thus far? And they might even have ended up disappearing from the face of the planet (in the general public's eyes) if they had just started their own label.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 20-09-2010, 22:29
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
This is exactly why the singles chart should stop being a concern for people. The chart is on Radio 1, and it's full of songs that are played on Radio 1, which are bought by the type of people who listen to... Radio 1. If you're not on Radio 1, you can forget about getting into the top 10.
This is also my truth.
Old 21-09-2010, 16:05
An imitation of dignity

Well an update on my situation.

Contacted Sony and they answered more or less quickly, saying that indeed they have in their records that I paid for the tax and shouldn't pay anything else to UPS, and told me to contact UPS and tell them that.

So I did but UPS claim that they were only paid for shipping and handling, not import taxes, and told me to tell the sender (Sony) that they should sort this out at their local UPS office.

Seems to me someone screwed up when shipping the box, and in conclusion, don't think I'll be getting that box anytime soon :\
Old 21-09-2010, 16:36
Born to end

Well I also ordered the box set and T shirt but in my case the print on the back of the T shirt was printed on the inside of the T shirt. Very weird
Old 21-09-2010, 16:40
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyBateman View Post
Well I also ordered the box set and T shirt but in my case the print on the back of the T shirt was printed on the inside of the T shirt. Very weird
That's the same for everyone.

Free postage if you spend £20 or more on more than one item.
Lots of singles under a fiver, including postage

Old 21-09-2010, 17:05
Born to end

Nobody else mentioned about the print reversal in their posts
Old 21-09-2010, 17:13
Administrator

Yes they have, there's quite a few mentions of it...
Old 21-09-2010, 17:16
Born to end

I'm going outside into the real world now. ( hangs head in shame)
Old 22-09-2010, 18:40
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Everyone whinges about 'lack of promotion' when the Manics don't do great in the charts.
I've seen newspaper adverts and reviews all over the place. There was a TV ad during CH4 This Is England 86 last night, which is the right target audience. If anything I think they maybe started promotion too early with radio appearances as early as six weeks ago. Plus there have been ad-banners on all the major websites like HMV, Play, etc. If Manics fans aren't aware that there's a new album out I'd be surprised.

On the t-shirt issue. As someone pointed out about it was a free t-shirt & was listed as limited. However was it implied that by paying more than other websites, you'd be getting the extra of the t-shirt ?
Old 22-09-2010, 18:44
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupernovaStar View Post
Well an update on my situation.

Contacted Sony and they answered more or less quickly, saying that indeed they have in their records that I paid for the tax and shouldn't pay anything else to UPS, and told me to contact UPS and tell them that.

So I did but UPS claim that they were only paid for shipping and handling, not import taxes, and told me to tell the sender (Sony) that they should sort this out at their local UPS office.

Seems to me someone screwed up when shipping the box, and in conclusion, don't think I'll be getting that box anytime soon :\
Fingers crossed that Sony confirm that they didn't pay UPS and give you a refund. It's probably the same person who forgot to put the t-shirts in the boxes.
Old 22-09-2010, 20:47
Freed from the century

This all coming from a band that once sang "Another bought product, no reality" and quoted "Junk is the ideal product". I do hope the irony is not completely lost on all of the people.
Old 22-09-2010, 20:51
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
"Junk is the ideal product".
He was refering to Heroin.
Old 22-09-2010, 21:01
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyBateman View Post
Nobody else mentioned about the print reversal in their posts
It was also mentioned on the website itself when you order the box. I pointed it out on the forum but no one else seemed interested in such things. Of course, once people started receiving their shirts.....
Old 22-09-2010, 21:39
Builder of routine

the promo for this release has been spot on. They couldn't do anymore

the album and single i mean not the box...bit of a mess there. SHOULD'VE INCLUDED THE VINYL