Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-01-2010, 00:59
Winterlover

Exclamation JFPL in GIITTV's top twenty albums of 09

17. Manic Street Preachers – ‘Journal For Plague Lovers‘

When most albums are announced there’s usually only a very small range of reactions on the internet; either “I loved their last album, this’ll be awesome OMG!”, “This band sucks ass lolol” or a uninterested shrug. Reactions can also be influenced by the inevitable empty rhetoric that goes with each album announcement since it’s very rare for a front-man’s quote about this one being the best album actually being true (I’m looking at you Bono). When the Manic Street Preachers announced Journal For Plague Lovers though, there was both a tangible excitement and an ominous sense of foreboding.

For the first time in fifteen years the Manics were using lyrics written by Richey Edwards, their “guitarist” and lyricist who disappeared shortly after the release of their magnum opus, The Holy Bible. At the time, Nicky Wire said: “The brilliance and intelligence of the lyrics dictated that we had to finally use them. The use of language is stunning and topics include The Grande Odalisque by Ingres, Marlon Brando, Giant Haystacks, celebrity, consumerism and dysmorphia, all reiterating the genius and intellect of Richard James Edwards”.

http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/co...&type=Features
Old 21-01-2010, 17:30
I live to fall asleep

Was and is a brilliant album. Glad it got the result but I reckon it deserves higher.
Old 21-01-2010, 19:52
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I seriously thought this thread was called "JFPL un GMTV's top twenty albums of 2009"? And was wondering "Well at least it'll get exposure from their viewers?" until I realised it was the online magazine god is in the tv...
Old 21-01-2010, 19:53
Footprint of history

Bill in glorified advert post shocker.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:08
Born to end

Should have been in the top ten imo...
Old 07-02-2010, 16:33
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by looke View Post
Bill in glorified advert post shocker.
this made me lol like no other lol has made me lol before.

lol

EDIT: I like Bills post but I also agree it maybe should have been a fraction higher.

Last edited by Alt.Duck; 07-02-2010 at 16:36. Reason: i made a boo boo
Old 07-02-2010, 17:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

like everyone else, I'm glad that it made it into the list but it should have gotten higher.

However, I'm surprised at the quote about William's Last Words being possibly their best work - it's one of my least favorite songs on the album, let alone their whole catalog. Does everyone else like this song a lot more that I do?
Old 07-02-2010, 21:07
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by allofwho View Post
However, I'm surprised at the quote about William's Last Words being possibly their best work - it's one of my least favorite songs on the album, let alone their whole catalog. Does everyone else like this song a lot more that I do?
Well it's been much discussed in other threads. I think the general consensus is that's very touching and rather beautiful, unless you're in the hate-Nicky-on-vocals camp. Whether it's possibly their best work or not is debatable, but it's certainly a fitting composite of their past and present and a lovely, heartfelt ending to the album.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 07-02-2010, 21:15
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
a fitting composite of their past and present
I really don't see this. Musically it has more in common with the EMG b-sides than anything they did in the last decade, lyrically it's a Richey song completely hacked to bits and virtually rewritten (to fit a conventional song structure - unlike what Richey actually wrote - and certainly given an entirely new significance) by Nicky... I can't think of a less fitting way to end the album to be honest. To me it represents everything they'd set out to avoid in the project; a mawkish, plodding and overtly sentimental mess spelling out a farewell note Richey never left.
Old 07-02-2010, 21:18
Bored out of my mind

It's alright.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-02-2010, 21:34
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
It's alright.
Christ, coming from you if that's not damning with faint praise I don't know what is!
Old 07-02-2010, 21:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
I really don't see this. Musically it has more in common with the EMG b-sides than anything they did in the last decade, lyrically it's a Richey song completely hacked to bits and virtually rewritten (to fit a conventional song structure - unlike what Richey actually wrote - and certainly given an entirely new significance) by Nicky... I can't think of a less fitting way to end the album to be honest. To me it represents everything they'd set out to avoid in the project; a mawkish, plodding and overtly sentimental mess spelling out a farewell note Richey never left.
I'm too tired to debate this, so we'll just say I'm right and leave it at that.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 07-02-2010, 21:55
Under neon loneliness

Ah sleep, the last refuge of the terminally incorrect
Old 07-02-2010, 23:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post

Totally agree with the "overtly sentimental mess" description - that's what made me dislike the song so much, the lyrics are cheesy, for lack of a better word. I'm hoping/assuming that this is a result of poor editing choices and not what Richey had intended when he wrote this.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28
Bored out of my mind

Disagree that the lyrics are cheesy.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)