Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 20:30
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
They've always done it..we've no idea how songs started out. Wasn't design for life two pages long originally?
It was two completely separate lyrics. One called ADFL, the other The Pure Motive. The original ADFL lyric can be seen in the Making of EMG doc.

Verse I
I wish I had a bottle in my face
To wear the scars from where I came
Witness the population of my local town
Spiral into alcohol and then slowly drown

Chorus
Hands but no tools
Shops but no windows
Anger but no focus
Lie bleeding and concussed

Verse II
So I stayed in my bedroom for 15 years
It gave me strength but brought me tears
Thought I could be sensitive not fake
But as a class destitute and about to break

Chorus
Hands but no tools
Shops but no windows
Anger but no focus
Lie bleeding and concussed

Verse III
We may condemn but deep down inside
I completely understand the hatred in their eyes
For some nothing but memories long gone
For some nothing, no nothing at all

Bridge
We are not like the rest of you
We are unhappy, muted and true
We are not like the rest of you
We feel all emotion in equal measures

It's quite sad to think that James couldn't even find a proper second verse to use. Look, Nicky even includes third verses and bridges in his unedited lyrics. Behave yourself, James! Credit where its due, though. James did slightly improve the only two lines he used from that entire lyric!
Old 08-02-2010, 21:00
Bored out of my mind

James is an ace songwriter thankyou!

With regard to WLW, they could only interpret how they wanted to. Richey didn't give them a rule book of interpretation before he left. Unless Nicky chucked it in the bin of course!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-02-2010, 21:27
Under neon loneliness

Yes, but choosing to think "oh, this one's about ME!!" seems a little on the egotistical side. How would you interpret that original text? Because I can't see it as a reference to the band, even remotely.
Old 08-02-2010, 21:29
Bored out of my mind

Nicky is egotistical. What did you expect?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-02-2010, 21:30
Bored out of my mind

Be glad the lyric is 'Best friends'. NME would have had it as 'Best friend'!
Old 08-02-2010, 21:32
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Christ, coming from you if that's not damning with faint praise I don't know what is!
Was referring to the vocals in the main when I said 'It's alright'.
Old 09-02-2010, 17:37
Builder of routine

Nicky on WLW: *theres two ways I look at it. Either it genuinely is about someone else, because I know when he was in the institution in Cardiff, he was writing a lot. Either that, or its a giant analogy from the Entertainer and Archie Rice, that sadness at the end of the career. I know he loved that film and it reminds me of that. But I didn't pick those lines out on purpose, it isn't like I wanted to make it seem more applicable to the situation, I was just drawn phonetically and in terms of the music, because i write quite simple songs. When i played it to James and Sean they weren't shocked, but there was a lump in the throat. There is a sense of calm in it. *

Not quoting it all but James said: *Its important as a lyric, whether its semi autobiographical or about somebody else, because you spend an entire record sometimes listening to Richey speaking in tongues, and on this lyric you get genuine traditional warmth.....it gives you the hint that, during the process of writing all these lyrics, Richey hadn't lost his essential humanity. It sounds overblown but thats the impression i get....*

All from the NME 16th May 2009 in case anyone's interested. Apologies if its been quoted before