Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 21:47
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK View Post
Well of course, but I'd say it's pretty self evident that the fact I still frequent this forum is enough to say that I don't hate the band. Just this record. And also Know Your Enemy.
A lot of people don't like Know Your Enemy....at least big chucks of it
Old 04-07-2014, 21:48
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeat View Post
For example, I hate Bon Jovi. If they come on the radio I switch them off.
That's disappointing to hear but acceptable as long as you hate SATT more.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:49
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I'm just saying if you dislike a band why would you post on a forum about them? If I suddenly decided I don't like the Manics anymore I wouldn't stick around complaining here.
Because a forum is a place for debate.

I'd stick my neck out and say I love the band more than most on here. They are and always will be my no.1 fav band. Therefore I expect so much from them and use this forum to talk to other Manics' fans about it.

It's fantastic that the band have released 2 albums in a year. But neither are perfect and so every fan has a right to give their opinion.

But the album is absolutely worth a listen. It's just not as good as the pre-release propaganda - I mean reviews - made it out to be.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:50
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
That's disappointing to hear but acceptable as long as you hate SATT more.
No I like Guns N Roses....big difference
Old 04-07-2014, 21:51
Freed from the century

There's a big difference between critical debate and someone full-out hating a band and continuing to linger on a forum about a band they haven't liked in years. I dunno why people are misinterpreting this. I'm not saying all their albums are perfect either and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 04-07-2014, 21:51
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post

But the album is absolutely worth a listen. It's just not as good as the pre-release propaganda - I mean reviews - made it out to be.
I actually second this bit.

Yes this is a place for debate, i don't particularly like it when people who don't know the band slag them off...but on here we all have a damn good idea about them so we have the right to say whatever we like basically.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:53
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
I just don't understand, i don't get it.

One thing is for for sure... I am never listening to that fucking Nicky Wire ever again, nobody talks bullshit like that guy. The album is nothing he said it would be, i mean ok normally we know that but it really isn't like anything he said. Kautrock? Can't hear it. Spiky? Nope not at all. Nasty? Not really. How this is supposed to be so different or the 'polar opposite' to RTF i'll never know, maybe that was when they recorded EDGM...but alot of the album could've been outtakes or B-Sides from RTF. T

For me, this is NOT the Futurology i expected or wanted. I wanted an album to completely oppose RTF, to be an ugly sister, to have bollocks like no other album has thesedays. I have been waiting all year for it, the band and early reviewers talked about it like it was going to be groundbreaking. I really really really wanted to like it. But unfortunately it doesn't do anything or mean anything to me at all. It pains me to say it, but for me it's as much as a downer (but not as bad an album) as PFAYM was at the time. The sort of reviews it got should've gone to a more deserving album such as Lifeblood.

Let's get a few things straight. I love the Manics, i loved Rewind the Film, i love it when they try different styles and ideas and normally it works. I'm really glad so many people like the album, but for me it's very disappointing and I'm going back to Rewind the Film.
While I don't agree with the RTF love, I agree with the sentiment re: Futurology.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:55
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
There's a big difference between critical debate and someone full-out hating a band and continuing to linger on a forum about a band they haven't liked in years. I dunno why people are misinterpreting this. I'm not saying all their albums are perfect either and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.
Who's is full-out hating and continuing to linger? This is a silly comment.
Old 04-07-2014, 21:57
Freed from the century

I guess I misinterpreted MRK's original statement or lack the ability to read their mind so I thought they were saying that their strong dislike of Futurology lead them to start hating everything else the band did. And I've lurked and been a member here long enough to know that there actually are people on here that don't really like the band anymore, and on other forums as well (Atease syndrome). It doesn't make sense to me but, whatever!

2014 - April 11 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
2014 - April 12 - O2 Academy Brixton, London
Old 04-07-2014, 21:57
Winterlover

The Manics' predilection for huge production actually makes Futurology seem overproduced. Which is weird, because it's usually a thing that works in their favour. I think that perhaps this album would sound better if it weren't so...shiny in places.

EDIT: and I definitely agree that this is not the record that the hype machine told us to expect. Nicky Wire and press et al.

ALSO, I should say that I fucking cannot stand post-punk, so I really never thought I would like this record anyway. But I certainly didn't expect to hate it. Nor did I expect it to make me re-evaluate my relationship with the band.
Old 04-07-2014, 22:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
I rather suspect this will be forgotten like Lifeblood or KYE. I am bitterly disappointed. I liked the songs I'd heard beforehand, but this is just poor. I found myself actually loathing it more as the record progressed. Then by the end that I realised I hate all the lyrics and most of the vocals. And then it made me reflect on other Manics albums, and then I realised that as I grow older I appreciate Nicky and Richie's lyrics less and less, to the point where I now think they are mostly terrible.

So yeah, I dislike this record so much that it's made me reflect on the Manics in a very negative way. It's most unfortunate.
Lol says more about you to be honest. Most likely you're just deeply unhappy at the moment.
Old 04-07-2014, 22:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
The Manics' predilection for huge production actually makes Futurology seem overproduced. Which is weird, because it's usually a thing that works in their favour. I think that perhaps this album would sound better if it weren't so...shiny in places.

EDIT: and I definitely agree that this is not the record that the hype machine told us to expect. Nicky Wire and press et al.

ALSO, I should say that I fucking cannot stand post-punk, so I really never thought I would like this record anyway. But I certainly didn't expect to hate it. Nor did I expect it to make me re-evaluate my relationship with the band.
I can't hear any Post-Punk though. Don't hear the Disco, certainly don't hear the Rock. I don't really know what it is...Manics by numbers disguised with a few bits of Naysmith magic to make it sound a bit interesting perhaps. Nothing groundbreaking at all, i'm not saying they shouldn't have made the record but they definitely were talking alot of bollocks when pre-promoting it.

It's not changed my opinion on anything in the band's past, well only that the album lineup has shifted to let Futurology in around the GATS mark. They're still a fucking brilliant band and I absolutely expect they will do another great album one day. RTF proved they still have it in them, but maybe there weren't enough great ideas for two albums worth.

Last edited by Radiomanic; 04-07-2014 at 22:06.
Old 04-07-2014, 22:03
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quatercircle View Post
Lol says more about you to be honest. Most likely you're just deeply unhappy at the moment.
Thats a bit of a personal and silly comment. Let's stick to the music here.
Old 04-07-2014, 22:04
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
a few bits of Naysmith magic to make it sound a bit interesting
That's a load of words I never thought I'd ever read in that order on here! haha!
Old 04-07-2014, 22:05
Footprint of history

Quote:
You're repeating yourself. I haven't listened to the album enough to pass comment on it but MRK's post was interesting to read. Lots of people who post on here have mixed feelings about the Manics. It's all good