Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 21:53
Born to end

One of the Holy Bible UK tour dates, can't remember which one (Leicester? Portsmouth?) Richey was much higher in the mix at the start of the set, which from memory was PCP/Revol/Slash & Burn/From Despair To Where. Definitely added to Revol, but didn't enhance the rest. As to whether Richey could play guitar or not, he'd never have been able to play lead parts on those songs, but I've heard worse. He'd have got in The Fall !!
Old 07-12-2014, 21:56
Born to end

Think it was Manchester Academy, they've all blurred into one 20 years on, was a mad tour!
Old 08-12-2014, 22:25
Born to end

Was talking about this topic at work today. Best response was that if Richey had been lead guitarist instead of James, Nicky would have appeared on the Never Mind The Buzzcocks line up round by now!
Old 09-12-2014, 21:31
Doors slowly closing

He just about held the odd chord by the time of THB, but to be fair he didn't really add anything except a dirge in the background. James carried the sound all on his own, still could if he wished. Its nice having a backup guitarist, but I do long for the days when it was just James on the guitar. The KYE tour was a good example when they were playing small venues and James was LOUD.
Old 09-12-2014, 23:05
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
He just about held the odd chord by the time of THB, but to be fair he didn't really add anything except a dirge in the background. James carried the sound all on his own, still could if he wished. Its nice having a backup guitarist, but I do long for the days when it was just James on the guitar. The KYE tour was a good example when they were playing small venues and James was LOUD.
I'm sure he had the potential to be a fine, or competent, guitarist. I was in a band when another guitarist and I were both still learners, it was fun to watch our skills develop at a similar pace with each of us being inspired by different styles. However, had I joined a band at that time with someone of JDB's calibre I'd have gone into my shell and I'm sure all learners would.

Daring to express your novice skills in the presence of a master is something that only happens in myth. It's something that overlooked when people go on about Richey's guitar skills, that he could hardly be expected to compete with someone so prolific.

JDB is a less is more kind of guitarist but we know he can play all Slash's stuff and I'm sure he's capable of playing like Van Halen, Richie Blackmore or Dave Mustaine if that was his preference.