Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 12:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Just shut up! Naturally I mean that with respect And yes I was one of the youngest fans....you nearly win a reprieve there fan would be pushing it cos I didn't like much of it but...But no stop right there....the 90s classic rock - no! No. Deep Purple - classic rock, bloody Whitesnake - classic rock (though I don't mind that Is This Love...I'll admit to that) but y'know - dad's best driving tunes - classic rock. (though my dad prefers Beethoven) Early Aerosmith. I said early! Ha. (although I do like a lot of Aerosmith too...but I always did I hasten to add) You sure know how to depress a person who lived through the nineties.
Have you thought this through though? Does this make 'our' or 'my'(?) Liam Gallagher today's Keith Richards?....OK I haven't thought that through but ... not all the Britpop era should be preserved.....Menswear? Remember them? Subjective I know. Elastica got on my nerves so what do I know
Hahah, this made me smile.

I guess everything is relative. Of course Liam is a national treasure of an asshole. He's hilarious, but young people think of him (and his brother) as grumpy old blokes, who come from the era of fuzzy VHS pictures and no internet. They might wish they could have been back there just because of the pure novelty of it all.

It's painful to look back, no doubt. But it's only painful if you only allow yourself to wallow in it non stop. For example, the other day I watched Oasis at Maine Road for the first time in about 15 years. And I thought, "fuck me that feels like a lifetime ago."

But also, there's no point pontificating about how good bands (Oasis or otherwise) were. I find wallowing once in a blue moon is good fun, and perhaps even healthy. But then it's best to keep your eyes ahead. What's gone won't be back, and if you worry about that too much, you might miss the super-tight amazing bands of today.
Old 18-11-2017, 17:40
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Who created Sparkle and Believe? I'm sure might hae been on there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
Sorry, but her name's completely escaped me now. Even so, I only ever knew her official forum unsername. Now that you've asked, it's going to bug me relentlessly. Ah well...
It was Sarah. I think she is *Bloo* or something like that on here. I think she created it when the official forum was broken up. I remember one of mods (cloud strife) having a meltdown and let all the banned people back onto the forum shortly before it was closed.

Did feel like a bit of a bitch fest at times, like if you dared to challenge one of the clique you’d find a long list of posters wanting to stick the boot in.
Old 25-11-2017, 21:16
Stretched out in the sun

I started with StayBeautiful.net. I chose the nickname StayBeautiful, which unbelievably hadn't been picked yet, and immediately after my Very First Post I got a couple of abusive messages and/or replies from people accusing me of trying to own the forum. Quite a baptism of fire.

After that, it was a case of trying to stay afloat in a churning tempest. From memory, every discussion - from Alec Empire to Tony Blair - would soon get sucked into the weird war between Nigel and Everyone Else. At which point you'd be hurled out of the thread, and your only options were to either sit and watch with popcorn or find another thread that they hadn't yet spilled into.

And yet all through this, FD was dismissed as being full of 4Real Cult Of Richeyites, and the official forum was allegedly full of Sony employees wearing feather boas to work, pretending to be fans. It was an odd period to discover, for the first time, both the Manics and the internet.

Old 26-11-2017, 14:17
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterevolver View Post
I started with StayBeautiful.net. I chose the nickname StayBeautiful, which unbelievably hadn't been picked yet, and immediately after my Very First Post I got a couple of abusive messages and/or replies from people accusing me of trying to own the forum. Quite a baptism of fire.

After that, it was a case of trying to stay afloat in a churning tempest. From memory, every discussion - from Alec Empire to Tony Blair - would soon get sucked into the weird war between Nigel and Everyone Else. At which point you'd be hurled out of the thread, and your only options were to either sit and watch with popcorn or find another thread that they hadn't yet spilled into.

And yet all through this, FD was dismissed as being full of 4Real Cult Of Richeyites, and the official forum was allegedly full of Sony employees wearing feather boas to work, pretending to be fans. It was an odd period to discover, for the first time, both the Manics and the internet.
I loved Staybeautiful in that period. I had just moved to England and was awfully lonely and lost. SB offered hours of entertainment....though you really needed a thick skin if you were going to dive into it and offer opinions.

I seem to remember FD being really popular at that stage and so I could not keep up with conversation threads (refresh a page and there would be 5 more responses....how things change!)
Old 26-11-2017, 17:48
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
... not all the Britpop era should be preserved.....Menswear? Remember them?
Hey! I still have my Menswe@r t-shirt signed by Johnny Dean

I often think, my son is 5 years old, and the Manics to him are likely to be what Pink Floyd are to me. Division Bell was on almost permanent rotation in my dad's car