Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 20-03-2018, 16:36
Freed from the century

Fascinating details. Thanks for posting.
Old 20-03-2018, 16:58
Doors slowly closing

I bought that mojo (May 2018 issue) today just to put the illustration in a frame

I wish the opposite side of the page didn't show through, but I guess I'll consider it adding to the charm for now...

Fits perfectly in an A4 frame btw

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 20-03-2018 at 17:14.
Old 20-03-2018, 17:37
Freed from the century

There's a demo of Tsunami that sounds slightly different to the album version??? Why have we never been told about this!
Old 20-03-2018, 17:49
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
There's a demo of Tsunami that sounds slightly different to the album version??? Why have we never been told about this!

I still refuse to believe it's better than the existing release, but I still can't wait to finally hear this fabled alternate version.

---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 20-03-2018, 17:56
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post

I still refuse to believe it's better than the existing release, but I still can't wait to finally hear this fabled alternate version.
It's going to be the biggest letdown ever after all the anticipation
Old 20-03-2018, 19:38
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
I bought that mojo (May 2018 issue) today just to put the illustration in a frame

Fits perfectly in an A4 frame btw
That looks brilliant.
Old 20-03-2018, 20:28
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
It's going to be the biggest letdown ever after all the anticipation
heheh, maybe. I love the song as it is so I'm not too worried, it's not like this unheard version can delete all copies of the existing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post
That looks brilliant.
Thanks, I am pretty happy with it

Old 21-03-2018, 08:26
Freed from the century

Nice lengthy interview with Wire at Drowned in Sound : http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4...reet-preachers
GATS anniversary reissue is go! (In a bit, perhaps, one day etc.)
Old 21-03-2018, 10:53
Bored of being bored

That DiS interview is one of the best Manics interviews in a long time. Some actual discussion beyond the current party line!
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 21-03-2018, 11:35
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
That DiS interview is one of the best Manics interviews in a long time. Some actual discussion beyond the current party line!
Yep, you can really tell the interviewer is a fan and pushes Wire into voicing some opinions instead of soundbites.
Old 21-03-2018, 14:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

Donkeys and Forever Delayed live? Yes, please.
Old 21-03-2018, 15:32

http://www.musicweek.com/live/read/x...-arenas/071853

Manic Street Preachers’ agent Scott Thomas says the trio’s imminent return to arenas speaks volumes of their confidence in new album Resistance Is Futile.

The Manics commence their SJM Concerts-promoted UK tour at Metro Radio Arena Newcastle on April 23. They will also visit Glasgow’s SSE Hydro, Birmingham Arena, Manchester Arena, Llandudno’s Venue Cymru Arena, Leeds’ First Direct Arena and SSE Arena, Wembley, finishing up at Cardiff Motorpoint Arena on May 5.

Resistance Is Futile, the band’s 13th LP and first since 2014’s acclaimed Futurology, is released via Columbia on April 13.

“The band have been away from standard headlining shows with new material for quite some time and they are still ambitious,” said X-ray Touring’s Thomas, who has represented the band since the tail end of their Gold Against The Soul campaign in the early ‘90s.

The last time the Manics played arenas when touring a new LP was for 2004's Lifeblood. “They always make bold statements and decisions, and they wanted to do [arenas] again," explained Thomas. "Crucially, they knew they had the record to back it up - it is a record that demands those arena stages.”

Select festival dates will follow in the summer, including slots at Rize Festival, Isle Of Wight, Y Not Festival, Penn Fest in Buckinghamshire and Devon’s Beautiful Days, alongside a show at Robert Smith’s Meltdown at Royal Festival Hall on June 19.

“Although it's a small show in the scheme of what they're doing this year, being asked personally by Robert to do [Meltdown] was an important thing for them,” Thomas told Music Week. "I think that's one of the gigs they're looking forward to the most.”

The band will also support boyhood heroes Guns N’ Roses on a series of European dates. “That is a long-realised ambition for them,” said Thomas. “Duff [McKagan, GN’R guitarist] personally asked them to do it because of the links between the bands.

“They're doing a few interesting things in Europe and we've got some interesting plans for Japan that looks as though it's going to happen in the next year or so. It feels like the world is itching for a new Manics record and tours and festival sets featuring that material.”

There was only a 10-month gap between the band’s 2013 LP Rewind The Film and follow-up Futurology, which had a knock-on effect on their live plans. “We kind of stretched it into one longer touring cycle with those two records, even though they were very different, because they came out so close together,” said Thomas. “I almost think there was a tour more to do on Futurology because it was such a successful record.”

The Manics also staged 20th anniversary tours of their back-to-back classics The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go in 2014/15 and 2016 respectively.

“With most acts that would've been a risk, but I don't think that is the case with the Manics,” said Thomas. “The Manics are pretty much critically bulletproof and they've earned that status by what they've done in the past. They also knew they would need to come up with an absolutely fantastic record to follow up those two tours - and that's what they've done.”

The tours included huge dates in their native Wales, including a special Holy Bible show at Cardiff Castle.

“They'd wanted to play the venue for an awfully long time and it was just finding the right event to make that show happen,” explained Thomas. “Given the fact that we wanted to find a real big statement show in South Wales, it was a case of the right time and right setting and again, similarly, when they sold out Liberty Stadium in Swansea for the Everything Must Go tour.

“Now, we're returning to the Cardiff Arena, which they're itching to get back to.”
Old 21-03-2018, 17:08
Freed from the century

Great reads. The Drowned in Sound interview in particular was very enjoyable.

Odd and unsettling to see Wire saying things like 'going forward' and that a single will be 'dropped'. I must be old and out of date.
Old 22-03-2018, 09:42
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatik View Post

Odd and unsettling to see Wire saying things like 'going forward'
I thought that, I felt like I was listening to someone in the office at work...
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 23-03-2018, 09:59

http://www.musicweek.com/talent/read...tringer/071880

Sony Music CEO and longtime Manic Street Preachers' cohort Rob Stringer has told Music Week about the Welsh trio's "fresh" and "hook laden" new material.

Stringer signed the Manics, who tour UK arenas next month, in 1991 and has remained close friends with the band, whose 13th album Resistance Is Futile is released via Sony's Columbia label on April 13.

"I am really excited by the album," he said. "I went to their studio in November and I was overwhelmed by how fresh, hook laden and uplifting the songs are. Their recording career is characterised by specific sonic chapters as is the case with most bands with great longevity and I think this album has a sheen and vividness unlike previous albums so it sounds completely contemporary.

"This view is clearly shared by the UK company because they feel very passionate about the album, even though the band have been signed for 27 years now!"

Stringer attributed the band's enduring success to their unwavering commitment to their craft.

"This is not a hobby or a distraction even after all these years and their attention to the recording process today is equal to when they were a young upcoming band," Stringer told Music Week. "Some of the working class values that they have focused on in their lyrics over the years also apply to their own work ethic. Also, most bands fall out because of either creative or personal or business pressures or all three and remarkably the Manics are joined at the hip still despite a journey that has certainly had its share of turmoil."

Manics manager Martin Hall, of Hall Or Nothing, credited Stringer for sticking with the band through their less commercially successful years.

"That's why they came through with [million-selling albums] Everything Must Go and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours," said Hall. "[Stringer] kind of cut his teeth on them a little bit. He's been like the fifth member of the team in lots of ways and they're still friendly - he's still tight with them, even though he doesn't work directly with them."

“He’s always been there,” added bassist Nicky Wire. “Right from the start, he was desperate to sign us and I still speak to him all the time.

“Whether it’s him coming to my house at Christmas for a bit of cake and tea or just meeting up in London, he’s as much a friend as he is as a music business person.”

The Manics played live when Stringer picked up the Music Week Strat Award in 2014, and presented him with last year's MITS Award.