Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 13:21
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredJoke View Post
I only know his Creed stuff
fair enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredJoke View Post
but is it 'best solo in the world' material?
All things considered Brand New Start and Blackbird are up there I think.
Old 03-03-2011, 13:30
Doors slowly closing

Ha! I forgot what a timewarp Guitarist mag is, I love that of the list of nominees the Manic Street Preachers are the "newest" band there even thought they're 20+ years in.

Or maybe Alterbridge are, but I have no idea what they are.
Old 03-03-2011, 14:20
Knowlede Is Power

Best solo should be Get The Funk Out by Extreme. On the list it's Hotel California so I voted for that. Sorry James.
Old 03-03-2011, 14:28
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
Ha! I forgot what a timewarp Guitarist mag is, I love that of the list of nominees the Manic Street Preachers are the "newest" band there even thought they're 20+ years in.

Or maybe Alterbridge are, but I have no idea what they are.
In fairness to them it's not so much the magazine that's in the timewarp as the readership. That list was constructed soley from nominations received through twitter, facebook, email etc so if enough people had nominated Alex Kapranos he'd have made the top 20 as well.
Old 03-03-2011, 15:32
Bored of being bored

What I find quite depressing about that magazine is the total lack of women in it, unless being used as set-dressing. I bought the December one (thought the thing about drop-D would be interesting - and a free magazine with our boys on the cover was inside it. It turned out to be quite a rubbish interview with Nicky but OH WELL) but haven't read it as I flew into a gin-fuelled rage when I realised the only woman playing guitar in it was GWYNETH FUCKING PALTROW.
Old 03-03-2011, 15:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvissa View Post
What I find quite depressing about that magazine is the total lack of women in it, unless being used as set-dressing. I bought the December one (thought the thing about drop-D would be interesting - and a free magazine with our boys on the cover was inside it. It turned out to be quite a rubbish interview with Nicky but OH WELL) but haven't read it as I flew into a gin-fuelled rage when I realised the only woman playing guitar in it was GWYNETH FUCKING PALTROW.
Yep, that annoys me too.

Plus in Tesco all the music magazines are under - Male Interest.

Bastards.
Old 03-03-2011, 15:39
Bored of being bored

WHAT THE????

MALE INTEREST????

(yes, I am shouting... I do not apologise for doing so).

that's absolutely awful!

It's bad enough that if I go to a guitar shop with my boyfriend, it's as if they assume he's the one who's there to buy something. Bloody hell. (then again... when I look round the shop, it's rattling with very bored-looking girlfriends).

(actually... he went to buy a bass guitar and was asked to take his jacket off in case the zip scratched it, and then asked him to take his zip-up Fred Perry off as well, in case the zip scratched it, so he would've been stood there in the shop wearing nothing but a vest. Someone said "are you auditioning for Monsters of Rock?" He refused to strip. Ironically, the shop sells those "road-worn" Fenders, for 100% fake authenticity).
Old 03-03-2011, 15:40
Bored of being bored

And when I got my guitar, I had to sit in a booth with sliding patio doors over it. And men would walk past, having a good old stare. OOoh, is that Gwyneth Paltrow? Well, it must be, it's a female holding a guitar.
Old 03-03-2011, 15:41
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvissa View Post
WHAT THE????

MALE INTEREST????

(yes, I am shouting... I do not apologise for doing so).

that's absolutely awful!

It's bad enough that if I go to a guitar shop with my boyfriend, it's as if they assume he's the one who's there to buy something. Bloody hell. (then again... when I look round the shop, it's rattling with very bored-looking girlfriends).

(actually... he went to buy a bass guitar and was asked to take his jacket off in case the zip scratched it, and then asked him to take his zip-up Fred Perry off as well, in case the zip scratched it, so he would've been stood there in the shop wearing nothing but a vest. Someone said "are you auditioning for Monsters of Rock?" He refused to strip. Ironically, the shop sells those "road-worn" Fenders, for 100% fake authenticity).
I know a massive amount of anger builds up when I see it!

The same happened to me, I was looking at Flying V and a bloke came up to me and asked if I wanted to look at the guitar Avril Lavigne plays

I hate guitar shops.
Old 03-03-2011, 17:29
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot_star View Post
I know a massive amount of anger builds up when I see it!

The same happened to me, I was looking at Flying V and a bloke came up to me and asked if I wanted to look at the guitar Avril Lavigne plays

I hate guitar shops.
Fair comment, but most of the men who work in guitar shops are complete cocks to you regardless of your gender, age, ability....
Old 03-03-2011, 17:32
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
Fair comment, but most of the men who work in guitar shops are complete cocks to you regardless of your gender, age, ability....
They all just seem to sit around and play Smoke on the Water. No one ever seems to be working in guitar shops
Old 03-03-2011, 17:35
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
They all just seem to sit around and play Smoke on the Water. No one ever seems to be working in guitar shops
It's all about the derisory sneer when you play, or even worse buy, something that doesn't make their cool wall. What really gets me is when they feel the need to crank off a little solo-ette before they hand over the guitar for you to try. You feel the need to remind them that, really, you only want to try the guitar and you don't really need them to show you which end you hold. The people who work in Cranes in Cardiff were something special when I lived there.
Old 03-03-2011, 17:38
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
It's all about the derisory sneer when you play, or even worse buy, something that doesn't make their cool wall. What really gets me is when they feel the need to crank off a little solo-ette before they hand over the guitar for you to try. You feel the need to remind them that, really, you only want to try the guitar and you don't really need them to show you which end you hold. The people who work in Cranes in Cardiff were something special when I lived there.
Yep, and if you ask something they always look at you like as if you are an idiot...bastards.
Old 03-03-2011, 17:51
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Yep, and if you ask something they always look at you like as if you are an idiot...bastards.
the worst one for that I ever found was the little guitar shop in an alley just past Waterstones in Cardiff. I can't remember the name now but the guy there was a right patronising knob.
Old 03-03-2011, 18:57
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Best solo should be Get The Funk Out by Extreme. On the list it's Hotel California so I voted for that. Sorry James.
That is sooooo on the money! Or 'Play with me' by Extreme. Alter Bridge are awesome as well, I've seen them twice and would strongly recommend checking out 'open your eyes' on youtube. My top 3 guitarists would be Brain May, Nuno Bettencourt and Mark Tremonti.

As for guys who work in guitar shops, yes, they are all tools (with a couple of exceptions). They only try and sell you what they want to. They think you know nothing and they know everything. They also seem to be under the illusion that if they play a 100mph solo on any guitar, you'll buy it. AND that all kids should start learning to play on huge acoustics that they can barely see over. MORONS! Rant over!
16/12/98 Wembley Arena, 23/05/07 Norwich UEA, 17/10/10 Norwich UEA, 22/01/11 Brixton Academy, 19/05/11 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 17/12/11 London 02 Arena, 24/09/13 Shepherd's Bush Empire, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montford Hall, 16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall

Twitter: @DamonCorless