Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-10-2014, 02:49
An imitation of dignity

No one's annoyed?

Just wondering why no one seems all that annoyed at the complete fiasco that was trying to get tickets to the Bible tour.

I mean, I knew it was going to sell out, but to be stranded at 09:03 with no tickets on gigwise (after putting card details in, which is why I wasn't on other sites) and then no tickets anywhere else apart from scalper sites selling them at nearly four times the price... it's not exactly the mantra they've pushed about themselves.

Maybe I'm the only lurker/member/occasional poster/irritated poster that didn't get tickets but still, bad show as far as I'm concerned. People who've bought every record, lots of singles, seen them on their various tours, survived Lifeblood etc... are basically being cut out becuase touts bought up huge amouts of tickets. How is that a celebration of a record that means so much to so many people? It almost makes me want to hope that the venues are more than half empty because the touts couldn't sell the tickets.

Just me I guess...

Also, to keep advertising a sold out tour is taking the piss. There is no excuse for it.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:12
Doors slowly closing

Lots of people are annoyed about the touts/scalpers, just read the thread about the tour announcement. Yeah, it sucks.

I guess if touts are hanging on to tickets then advertising of the tour is still sort of relevant though!

I'm not sure the band have much power over such matters on their own, but I guess if all artists got together to demand better control over tickets something would change.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtransistorhero View Post
Just wondering why no one seems all that annoyed at the complete fiasco that was trying to get tickets to the Bible tour.

I mean, I knew it was going to sell out, but to be stranded at 09:03 with no tickets on gigwise (after putting card details in, which is why I wasn't on other sites) and then no tickets anywhere else apart from scalper sites selling them at nearly four times the price... it's not exactly the mantra they've pushed about themselves.

Maybe I'm the only lurker/member/occasional poster/irritated poster that didn't get tickets but still, bad show as far as I'm concerned. People who've bought every record, lots of singles, seen them on their various tours, survived Lifeblood etc... are basically being cut out becuase touts bought up huge amouts of tickets. How is that a celebration of a record that means so much to so many people? It almost makes me want to hope that the venues are more than half empty because the touts couldn't sell the tickets.

Just me I guess...

Also, to keep advertising a sold out tour is taking the piss. There is no excuse for it.
Sorry, lost any symphathy when you said ' survived Lifeblood'
Old 04-10-2014, 08:04
Freed from the century

Sadly, for shows like this, the touts won't struggle to sell the tickets. As much as it would be a proper kick in the teeth for the touts for the venues to be empty, it just won't happen. As long as people go to touts, and legalised touting things like getmein, stubhub and viagogo, there is always going to be the need for them.

Can't remember how I came to know of it, but I discovered a few years back that ticketmaster keep a portion of tickets back to sell on getmein without them going on public sale first. This isn't a secondary market, this is touting, pure and simple. Apparently, the government said it was classed as 'free enterprise', and won't do anything about it.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07
I live to fall asleep

It's a pain, isn't it? Experience has taught me that sites on which you can register/log-in tend to work better. I just got tickets for Nick Cave at the Royal Albert Hall but that required memorising card details and some excessive F5ing.

You have my sympathies.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:

Just me I guess...

I've seen them loads and spent a scary amount of money collecting as much as I can but I'm no more entitled to tickets than anyone else - including touts. I was lucky and there's still time, stick a request on the ticket section on here or scarlet mist, never know, someone might get back to you. I managed to buy a pair off here yesterday.

Yeah the Ticketmaster and Get Me In thing absolutely fucking reeks and I think there needs to be legislation about that but beyond that there's no way any ticket sellers can ensure that no tickets go to touts. I went to see Kate Bush last month, ticketing was strict, the four tickets I bought had my name on and neither of us would've been slowed in unless I had my passport - but even then the place was surrounded by touts. It's shit but it's not the band's fault, they're a band not businessmen, they're responsible for what they say and record, they're not responsible for what other people do.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22
A self-made vacuum

I've seen plenty of people angry about this but I guess most of it was on facebook or twitter so you might not have seen.

I had to go through a security thing on ticketmaster to make sure I wasn't a computer programme trying to get tickets and I don't really know how else they can stop touts getting tickets. You'd have to make it illegal like it is for reselling football tickets and stand out venues arresting people.

Also, I know it's a bit late for this but it's always worth creating an account on ticketmaster or wherever in advanced and saving your card details on there. It saves so much time.

Camden Roundhouse 29/05/09 - Brixton Academy 22/01/11 - Hard Rock Cafe London 02/02/11 - O2 Arena 17/12/11 - BBC Radio 2 Festival in a Day 08/09/13 - Shepards Bush Empire 24/09/13 - Brighton Centre 09/04/14 - Brixton Academy 11/04/14 - Rough Trade East 08/07/2014 - Camden Roundhouse 17/12/14 - Cardiff Castle 05/06/15 - Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg 26/04/16 - Swansea Liberty Stadium 28/05/16 - Victorious Festival Portsmouth 27/08/16 - London Southbank Centre 19/06/18
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19
Builder of routine

see tickets and gigs and tours are the best sites I think.. register your details and credit card then you just select your ticket click buy and confirm.. wish they had a basket tho so you could pay for them all at the end. The only thing they tend to send the tickets out quite late
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26
Freed from the century

I managed to get most of the tickets I wanted, but I know a lot of people who missed out, despite being there as ready as possible at 9am. I was very unimpressed with how I apparently managed to get a single Manchester ticket on Seetickets, yet as I clicked 'buy' at 9.03am (my credit card details already on the account), it told me it was no longer available! I thought that was really unfair, getting my hopes up for nothing. I know some sites do it, but they should all have the thing where once you select a ticket, it reserves it for 10-15 minutes so you can't lose out whilst you're actually paying - it's the only way I got tickets through the Roundhouse site eventually.
Old 04-10-2014, 19:47
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Cos it's nothing new, and we've all been there many many times before...

My last was the Rewind the Film tour. Same thing happened on the "fans' presale".
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 04-10-2014, 19:53
Administrator

Plenty of people were annoyed here, thankfully there hasn't been the kind of nasty stuff I saw in other places. It's a fact of the industry at the moment, it seems.
Old 05-10-2014, 13:53
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think the touters are alright really. I may even sell my ticket for £200 because I don't know if I can be bothered going.