Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-04-2014, 16:46
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I get that. I just find it irritating.
are you one of those people that watches gigs stood stock still with your arms folded?
Old 17-04-2014, 16:55
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
are you one of those people that watches gigs stood stock still with your arms folded?
No.......not much....

It's usually fine to be honest. I don't mind if it happens on staple classics like YSTSFMH.
Old 17-04-2014, 17:01
Builder of routine

I fucking love it when the crowd sing along, so do the band. WHat does get annoying sometimes is when a band drags out the singalong making you repeat choruses. Like longwinded guitar solos that can get really dull, especially if you don't think a lot of the song. James doesn't do that tho' everyone just sings along with him
Old 17-04-2014, 18:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

I agree that Manics should have released a live album. They should have done it with the Millenium gig in 1999, the Cuba gig and the National Treasures London gig in 2011. These 3 gigs are the most important in Manics live history. Instead of that, they choosed to offer pieces of live music from these gigs through singles and ep's. Manics even won awards for Best Live Act.

I think it's a matter of management or music label agreement. What else can I say.
Old 17-04-2014, 18:49
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
I'm thinking in particular of that La Tristesse Durera monstrosity from around the Lifeblood era.
What was that? Did I miss it?
16/12/98 Wembley Arena, 23/05/07 Norwich UEA, 17/10/10 Norwich UEA, 22/01/11 Brixton Academy, 19/05/11 Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 17/12/11 London 02 Arena, 24/09/13 Shepherd's Bush Empire, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montford Hall, 16/05/16 Royal Albert Hall

Twitter: @DamonCorless
Old 17-04-2014, 19:20
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I've read some bollocks in my time here but that statement takes the crown. The manics, for me, have always been a thoroughly great live band. Even in the early 1990's when they barely had any songs they still put out a thoroughly good show. The only time I could honestly say the band have undelivered on a live scale was a few gigs when promoting KYE back in 2001. James sounded sluggish and there was an unease within the band.
Totally agree with you (and others that have also agreed.) The Manics live are always an experience and connect with their fans in a way others just can't. You only have to watch some of their very early live shows to see that performing has always been their thing. Rock star posturing and drama from Richey, despite not being able to play, the glamour twins in eye liner and skin tight white jeans, James one of the best front men ever and Sean driving the whole thing and writing the music with James that certainly captured peoples attention way before they could decipher the lyrics.

If you want a live album try the ones they have already done - dvd's and try a bootleg or two or just go to YouTube and catch all the stuff you have missed. It's all there.
Old 23-04-2014, 08:27
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
Bloody hell! It's part of the experience. Loads of bands do it.
It's supposed to make us feel part of the show and also confirm to the band they have fans that care enough to sing back to them!
Yeah it love that!
If I wanted to just watch james sing I'd just listen on record... They're such a good singalong band too it's cool

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 23-04-2014, 17:36
Born to end

Smile

Hi all, a live album would be incredible, but would it take away the luxury and some of the excitement/anticipation of counting down the days until the next tour? Personally I'd love a full album of JDB doing acoustic manics songs! Please make it happen!!
Old 23-04-2014, 18:19
Freed from the century

If they ever did a show with Frank Sidebottom (now sadly dead) I would have formed a campaign group just to get a live album released of that show. Obviously would never happen though.

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 23-04-2014, 20:34
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generationterrorist View Post
Hi all, a live album would be incredible, but would it take away the luxury and some of the excitement/anticipation of counting down the days until the next tour? Personally I'd love a full album of JDB doing acoustic manics songs! Please make it happen!!
Same, but with sean

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 24-04-2014, 14:47
An imitation of dignity

The band said from the beginning that they would never release a live album. Wouldn't be the first time they break a promise, but...
Anyway, I've always thought a live archives or bootleg series like Neil Young or Bob Dylan would be great.
981031 Bilbao (Kafe Antzokia) - 990320 Madrid (Riviera) - 010518 Madrid (Festimad) - 070821 Belfast (Vital) - 100710 Bilbao (BBK Live) - 110121 London (Brixton Academy) - 111217 London (O2) - 131122 Bilbao (BEC / BIME) - 1411215 London (Roundhouse) - 160528 Swansea (Liberty Stadium) - 180505 Cardiff (Motorpoint Arena) - 190629 Cardiff (Cardiff Castle)
Old 24-04-2014, 19:48
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic marios View Post
I agree that Manics should have released a live album. They should have done it with the Millenium gig in 1999, the Cuba gig and the National Treasures London gig in 2011. These 3 gigs are the most important in Manics live history. Instead of that, they choosed to offer pieces of live music from these gigs through singles and ep's. Manics even won awards for Best Live Act.

I think it's a matter of management or music label agreement. What else can I say.
Those were out on dvd.. which they should've done with the NT gig as well.

I don't see the point with live albums on CD's at all...
Old 24-04-2014, 20:57
Desire on its knees

i don't like the idea of a single, complete gig becoming a live album, but i think the band would benefit greatly from a live compilation, covering early years to now.

not chronological, done in a way that fits together as a fantasy setlist, like Nirvana's From The Muddy Banks.

i made one myself a few years back. kicked off with 'faster' from Glastonbury '94 - feedback, Nicky's single string intro, JDB saying "hello, hello, hello", a scream, kicks in fully. album started, go from there.