Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 14:49
I live to fall asleep

SATT made them critically and commercially successful again, after both had drifted since TIMT. They also got their image back together. They wrote hit singles that people could shout for at gigs. It achieved everything the wanted it to. So yes, it was definitely successful.

I think the problem the band have with Lifeblood is that it wasn't the album they meant to make - they've spoken about how they heard a Cardigans single and it was everything they wanted Lifeblood to be but wasn't. As such I suspect they view it as a failure.
Old 01-07-2017, 23:16
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
SATT made them critically and commercially successful again, after both had drifted since TIMT. They also got their image back together. They wrote hit singles that people could shout for at gigs. It achieved everything the wanted it to. So yes, it was definitely successful.

I think the problem the band have with Lifeblood is that it wasn't the album they meant to make - they've spoken about how they heard a Cardigans single and it was everything they wanted Lifeblood to be but wasn't. As such I suspect they view it as a failure.
I loved Send Away The Tigers instantly when it came out, felt like it did breathe new life into the band at the time. Looking back it was a relief for me, cos I was actually quite fearful of losing my favourite band for a while. Not in any of the twatty senses of oh they've sold out, they're not as good as they were or owt like that - I love Know Your Enemy and Lifeblood. Suppose it's was much to do with Pulp, Blur, Suede etc going on hiatus/splitting up around the same time and everybody wanking over any band called The whatever, I wondered if there was still room for Manics. So I guess I loved it more cos it meant they weren't ending.

Course there are Manics fans beyond this place, thank fuck cos they'd have had to call it a day.. Don't recall seeing too many people on here saying it's their favourite album, more often than not people stick it near the bottom. Course they're a weird band with a weird appeal, can't think of many who are just as comfortable on the cover of Kerrang! as the are Q or Uncut. Most the people I know who like em, really like em so not sure what people who just like em think. Weird how little a look in it gets live, considering how fond they're supposed to be of it too. Yeah, Second Great Depression and Indian Summer last week, but besides that aren't we going back to National Treasures/International Treasures for owt besides Your Love Alone?

Yeah, remember em throwing around tidbits about Lifeblood being "elegiac pop" and "The Holy Bible for 30 year olds". Fuck knows what they thought they were making, but I love it all the same.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Finally giving my signed vinyl a play through (been so busy recently). Sounds fantastic but lacking a bit in dynamics, to my ears at least. I'm hearing a few things not noticed before, previously lost in the mix which is nice.

Does anyone have a mis pressed second vinyl? My side C and side D have been placed incorrectly.
20/08/01- Conference Centre, Llandudno
18/08/02- Weston Park, Stafford
03/12/02- NEC, Birmingham
11/01/05- CIA, Cardiff
02/09/06- Gwyl Macs Festival, Carmarthan (NW)
26/05/09- Venue Cymru, Llandudno
18/05/11- Venue Cymru, LLandudno
17/12/11- O2 Arena, London
15/09/13- Festival Number 6, Portmeirion
10/12/14- Albert Hall, Manchester (THB Tour)
13/05/16- Echo Arena, Liverpool (EMG Tour)

Last edited by sore_and_crucified; 04-07-2017 at 11:40. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-07-2017, 21:52
Doors slowly closing

SATT was the album that got me into the Manics in the first place.

After years of listening to Doherty/Libertines/DPT, all of a sudden hearing SATT on radio completely changed my way of listening to music. My initial reaction was 'wow, this sounds good, where have these people been my entire life? - an eye-opening experience.

SATT seemed a success atmospherically, if you listen back to gigs they seem really up for it, hype must do wonders for a band, especially nearing 40's and being back to nearly dominating again.

Number 2 album and Number 2 single, only beaten by Arctic Monkeys and Beyone, not bad to come second too really. Lots of TV and radio-airplay, Of course they became a success again. I think they are still living off it too.

I have to say that the reissue is a bit poo though, the DVD section is poorly mixed, why put out so few demos? James remix of the record made me listen to the original mix, which is much better.
Old 11-07-2017, 21:54
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Welcome back Dext!