Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-01-2011, 21:49
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
I think it was what you said first but then merged with Britannia when it started to be on telly.
aye that was it. I joined britannia for 5 minutes. You were enticed in with 5 albums for 99p then you had to pay full price + postage. Also had to remember to decline the editors choice or they'd send you that and charge every month The club was a good idea if you lived a million miles from a record shop but otherwise bollocks
Old 14-01-2011, 21:55
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
aye that was it. I joined britannia for 5 minutes. You were enticed in with 5 albums for 99p then you had to pay full price + postage. Also had to remember to decline the editors choice or they'd send you that and charge every month The club was a good idea if you lived a million miles from a record shop but otherwise bollocks
Jesus, I rmember Britania! I was with them for videos! Like you say, great opening deal, then looking back (cos I found a booklet of theirs I still have from 1998!) each video was like £9.99 or new ones were about £11.99! I used to go for the cheapest I could find so I could leave them and I remember havign to write letters every month to them to decline their damn editors choice. Man, that's brought back some memories.
Anyway...on topic....Manics get a Brit? Nah. Probably never get any award ever again sadly
Old 14-01-2011, 21:57
Footprint of history

Quote:

Thats it!! I would always bloody forget to send the decline back so I'd get the CD and would have to send it back but they would still charge you for P+P.
Old 14-01-2011, 21:59
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
No and no.

A massively successful Greatest Hits package and tour this year might line them up for a couple of lifetime achievement awards next year, but frankly who cares?
are the news on tour supported by any sensible source or is this speculation again??
Old 14-01-2011, 22:01
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
I always remember being chuffed when me mam forgot to decline and got sent The Great Escape by Blur. Sent it back like, was gutted at the time... Blur's worst album, anyway. Pfft.
Old 14-01-2011, 22:03
Footprint of history

Many a time I used to tape them on a casette then send them back, they must have cottoned on that everyone was doing that as they started covering them in sellaphane
Old 14-01-2011, 23:42
Winterlover

Quote:
you sure? I thought it was the British Phonographic Industry BPI awards? Or am i thinking of something completely different? Unless they merged and became the Brits then?
I'm pretty sure that Little Sue is right about the name. They are they BPI awards but the 'Brits' monica came from the original sponsorship by Britannia.
Old 14-01-2011, 23:47
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebabyeverything View Post
I'm pretty sure that Little Sue is right about the name. They are they BPI awards but the 'Brits' monica came from the original sponsorship by Britannia.
yeah i misunderstood what she meant. I thought she was saying that the whole thing was started by a mail order company rather than the record industry! I'm a little bit simple sometimes
Old 15-01-2011, 01:27
Doors slowly closing

Radiohead are one of the biggest bands in the world, and have never had a brit award. That says everything doesn't it? Actually they're probably the biggest band in the world never to have had one. The Manics don't need a brit, although maybe they do for PFAYM because that is what they were aiming for in the end wasn't it.