Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 25-07-2010, 11:03
A self-made vacuum

Wire writing Dr Who script

Quote:
MANIC Street Preachers star Nicky Wire is writing a script for Doctor Who, he has revealed.

The bassist and lyricist is writing a script for the hit show set in New York, centred on the last few days of Welsh poet Dylan Thomas’ life. In true Dr Who fashion the episode will also feature “a massive monster”, Wire said.

But sadly for fans of the hit show, filmed across Wales, the BBC said yesterday it has had no contact with the musician. The show’s current head writer Stephen Moffat has yet to comment on whether the BBC will accept Wire’s effort.

Wire, 41, revealed he was working on a script in an online diary post on the Manic Street Preachers’ website.

He said: “I’ve been trying to write a script for Doctor Who called Do Not Go Gently. The idea is centred around Dylan Thomas’ last days in New York. Of course it’s going to have a massive f***ing monster in it too.”

Wire has been keeping an online diary blog ahead of the release of the Manics’ new album, Postcards from a Young Man, on September 20.

Sebastian Brooke, who runs Dr Who Online, said it would be huge news if the BBC was willing to look at the script.

He said: “Having such a popular Welsh figure who lives in Wales write a script featuring Dylan Thomas would be huge. I’m sure it would be fantastic for the fans.

“It would be the first time that someone who is not a career writer had written an episode, so it would be particularly big news.”

The online diary reveals the bassist has been re-reading the poetry of Dylan Thomas, and sees the work reflecting the state of the music industry.

He wrote: “I’ve been going back to Dylan Thomas. I know it sounds like a cliché but that line, ‘Rage, rage against the dying of the light’, it feels so applicable to the music industry at the moment, where we’re stood at the moment. It’s not a negative thing to say, it’s just true.”

Wire also attacked current indie bands, saying that the music of the 90s is dead and the music scene had become “desperate”, with bands trying to copy Ian Curtis, the cult idol and former singer with Joy Division, who killed himself in 1980, aged 23.

He wrote: “I just keep thinking, what are we left with? An eternity of absolute f***ing indie s*** that’s not connecting with anyone. There are some truly desperate people out there. They’re lower than tedium.

“There are bands and they’re aping Ian Curtis but they’re not taking inspiration from the deepness and the true poetry of his lyrics, they’re just doing his kooky dance. They’ve made the whole thing into a cabaret act. For us, Ian Curtis is one of the great writers in any field of the 20th century.

“So many bands seem to have picked an outfit off the rails at American Apparel – the ‘indie’ look and thought that’s enough.”

Wire has also revealed that the Blackwood rockers see Postcards from a Young Man, their 10th studio album in 18 years, as their “last shot at rock immortality”.

He said: “From the get go, we conceived it as our last chance to attempt to communicate on a mass level. We felt it was our last shot at rock immortality. Not saying we’re splitting up or anything but 10 albums is a massive milestone. Ten albums on the same label, with the same manager, with the same people in the band. Not many bands manage that in 18 years these days.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-26924673/
Old 25-07-2010, 11:05
Mr Msppedia

Here we go again How the fuck have the press got so much mileage out of one line of an online blog?!! Don't they know Nicky Wire, one of his favourite passtimes is talking absolute shite!

Quote:
“Having such a popular Welsh figure who lives in Wales
Popular?!
Old 25-07-2010, 11:09
Doors slowly closing

i read about it on ontd and most of the comments were just confused americans thinking he was cillian murphy.
Old 25-07-2010, 11:11
Stretched out in the sun

hahahahahahahaha.
Some people believe Wire still? jeez.

also, that would ruin Doctor Who.
Old 25-07-2010, 11:42
I am purity, they call me perverted

double post!

And I hardly ever get a post

Eurotrash Freaks
Old 25-07-2010, 11:48
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebookworm View Post
double post!

And I hardly ever get a post
It's okay, Nicky spouts enough crap for you to get your own thread in the next... oh a few days probably.
Old 25-07-2010, 11:51

but what if he doesn't? What if he wakes up and thinks 'No, maybe i won't tell everyone that i dream entering the Eurovision Song Contest.'

Eurotrash Freaks
Old 25-07-2010, 11:53
Administrator

I imagine wire's script is very fanfic .

and whats the betting the 1991 manics make a cameo?
Old 25-07-2010, 11:55
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebookworm View Post
but what if he doesn't? What if he wakes up and thinks 'No, maybe i won't tell everyone that i dream entering the Eurovision Song Contest.'
he'd never do that, for one thing the manics would lose lots of fans who think it's "cute"

besides, you never know, James might cut his finger open making a bacon sandwich again. Or sean might have a mental error and lock himself in a small room with an armoury. There will always be news...
Old 25-07-2010, 12:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
hahahahahahahaha.
Some people believe Wire still? jeez.

also, that would ruin Doctor Who.
i know, its never gonna happen and if it did it would probably be terrible.
Old 25-07-2010, 12:36
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
But sadly for fans of the hit show, filmed across Wales, the BBC said yesterday it has had no contact with the musician. The show’s current head writer Stephen Moffat has yet to comment on whether the BBC will accept Wire’s effort.
He's probably too busy laughing right now to comment. Dear god
Old 25-07-2010, 12:42
Administrator

I think you credit moffat with too much interest in nicky wire
Old 25-07-2010, 12:45
Bored out of my mind

Ah but there was a baddie in one of Tennant's Who eps called 'The Wire' (blatantly a tribute to Nicky) and they've used Manics songs on DW Confidential before. And it's filmed in Wales. So it MUST be true.
Old 25-07-2010, 12:46
Mr Msppedia

Nah he's probably put more consideration into writing him a part in his new Sherlock programme, an episode called 'The Search For Good Lyrics'
Old 25-07-2010, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
Nah he's probably put more consideration into writing him a part in his new Sherlock programme, an episode called 'The Search For Good Lyrics'
Meow

Eurotrash Freaks