Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-12-2009, 09:31
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
It really got to me sometimes, thinking of how likely it is that this beautiful, talented fellow will die painfully and too young.
Wo wo wo, calm down! Smoking, however much the ad campaigns declare it, does not equal death. Of course it can cause lung issues in some people but that's just it; some people. Some people die of lung cancer and others can smoke til their 90s and not see any negative effects. It's premature pity to look at someone and think 'Oh dear, you're going to die...' when the same stigma doesn't apply to other "life-threatening" habits such as habitual excessive drinking.

Plus, if someone enjoys smoking why not just let them do it? It's not much different to someone who enjoys extreme sports. You could die at any time. So long as it's not harming anyone else then you should be able to do what you like.
Old 14-12-2009, 13:10
A self-made vacuum

Maybe, if he has a kid of his own he might try to cut it out.
Old 14-12-2009, 14:23
Stretched out in the sun

February 12th 1983.

Lock the thread.
Old 14-12-2009, 14:41
I am purity, they call me perverted

Despite being a heavy smoker, James seems to "hide" it well. What I mean is that, compared to other artists I'm a fan of (specifically Greg Dulli), James wasn't smoking on stage when I saw MSP on the North American tour and he wasn't smoking while meeting fans behind the venue afterwards, and as many photos as I've seen of him I don't recall very many where there's a cigarette involved. I don't think I've ever seen a taped concert where he's been smoking on stage, and even in interviews I remember seeing cigarette smoke on the screen but he wasn't grabbing to take a puff every three seconds.

Whereas, with Dulli, I swear he smokes at least an entire pack during every concert I've ever seen him at, some of the most famous shots of him have a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, you'd swear cigarettes were permanent fixtures. (Oh yikes, I did a google image search just now for Greg - at least 8 different shots of him with a cigarette in just the first two pages!)

So even though I would prefer it if James didn't smoke, it could be much, much more in our faces and worse than it is.
Old 14-12-2009, 15:25
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Wo wo wo, calm down! Smoking, however much the ad campaigns declare it, does not equal death. Of course it can cause lung issues in some people but that's just it; some people. Some people die of lung cancer and others can smoke til their 90s and not see any negative effects. It's premature pity to look at someone and think 'Oh dear, you're going to die...' when the same stigma doesn't apply to other "life-threatening" habits such as habitual excessive drinking.
I'm not assuming that everyone who smokes is going to die from it. I base my sad thoughts about James on having seen his specific behaviour towards cigarettes and its observable effects on him, and seeing how similar that behaviour and observable effects are to what I've observed in people I was close to who died of smoking-related illnesses. Lung cancer is not the only thing that kills smokers, or shortens or drastically impairs the quality of their life, and although there are indeed people who smoke all their lives and live to ripe old ages, they are very much in the minority. I hope with all my heart that James is one of those lucky ones, but it's not very likely.

Quote:
Plus, if someone enjoys smoking why not just let them do it? It's not much different to someone who enjoys extreme sports. You could die at any time. So long as it's not harming anyone else then you should be able to do what you like.
I never said anyone shouldn't be allowed to smoke. I never even said that James should stop. I only described what I observed and how I felt about it personally. I agree that people should be able to do what they like, but that won't stop me from having feelings about it.

Also: Perhaps it's different where you are, but I wouldn't say that habitual excessive drinking carries any less of a stigma than smoking where I live.
Old 14-12-2009, 15:41
Doors slowly closing

Fair enough. I just think it's a bit...a bit Daily Mail for want of a better comparison, to start lamenting the young and painful death of James just because he smokes. I have never looked at one of my friends having one too many whiskies yet again, and thought 'Oh, the horrifying fate that's in store for you...'

Drinking does carry less of a stigma here, at least less than smoking. For one you're still allowed to do it in public without going to a special segregated outdoor place and being glared at disapprovingly by most passers-by.
Old 14-12-2009, 16:09
Freed from the century

Quote:
Fair enough. I just think it's a bit...a bit Daily Mail for want of a better comparison, to start lamenting the young and painful death of James just because he smokes. I have never looked at one of my friends having one too many whiskies yet again, and thought 'Oh, the horrifying fate that's in store for you...'
Well, fortunately, this is NOT how I feel or what I think about most of the time regarding James.

As far as your not looking at your friends and thinking about what the consequences of their unhealthy behaviours might be, that might change in the future if you lose enough people you love to unhealthy behaviours.
Old 14-12-2009, 16:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodleBug View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a taped concert where he's been smoking on stage
There is a video around 2002 i think were he has fag in his mouth whilst playing You Love Us.

I must admit im very anti smoking but he did look cool as fuck!!

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8LWoVhBEEs

Last edited by *Found That Soul*; 14-12-2009 at 17:05.
Old 14-12-2009, 17:24
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Well, fortunately, this is NOT how I feel or what I think about most of the time regarding James.
That's good. I probably didn't word my reaction correctly, as the image I did have in my head from your comment was more funny and melodramatic than serious. In my head I had violin music and James walking in slow motion.
Old 14-12-2009, 17:30
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Smoking, however much the ad campaigns declare it, does not equal death. Of course it can cause lung issues in some people but that's just it; some people. Some people die of lung cancer and others can smoke til their 90s and not see any negative effects. It's premature pity to look at someone and think 'Oh dear, you're going to die...' when the same stigma doesn't apply to other "life-threatening" habits such as habitual excessive drinking.

WTF?! Whether you get cancer or not, smoking still shortens your life by TEN years if you're a male heavy smoker and that's a fact. So James has already kissed goodbye to his seventies. And as for SOME people: a LOT more smokers DO get cancer then don't. and virtually none of them live to be 90. Smoking is not like extreme sports. I would much rather die suddenly when my bungee snapped then die slowly and painfully of cancer!!! And smoking DOES HARM OTHER PEOPLE! It's called passive smoking and it can give non-smokers cancer and lung disease. smoking is selfish and it's bad no matter how you talk about it.

*sparkle and believe*

Last edited by rabbit; 14-12-2009 at 17:31. Reason: words
Old 14-12-2009, 18:19
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I think the bigger question is what exactly did James smoke...

Just throwing that out there.
Old 14-12-2009, 20:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
WTF?! Whether you get cancer or not, smoking still shortens your life by TEN years if you're a male heavy smoker and that's a fact. So James has already kissed goodbye to his seventies. And as for SOME people: a LOT more smokers DO get cancer then don't. and virtually none of them live to be 90. Smoking is not like extreme sports. I would much rather die suddenly when my bungee snapped then die slowly and painfully of cancer!!! And smoking DOES HARM OTHER PEOPLE! It's called passive smoking and it can give non-smokers cancer and lung disease. smoking is selfish and it's bad no matter how you talk about it.
Ok, firstly, calm down.

Secondly, second-hand smoking only does damage if you're exposed to smoke for prolonged periods of time. If you smoke outside and in a smoking area, then you're not harming anyone else are you. Also, smoking doesn't mean kissing goodbye to your seventies. I know plenty of people, most of them in my own family, who drink their bodyweight in spirits on a regular basis and smoke like chimneys, and these are the people in their 80s and 90s with no serious health problems. It affects different people in different ways. Of course it's unhealthy, but it's personal choice. I hate the people who demonise smokers far more than I would ever hate someone who chooses to smoke because God forbid they actually enjoy it. I smoke every so often, about once a month whenever I fancy one. Selfishly I enjoy it very much.
Old 14-12-2009, 20:27
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
How do you know James has 'already kissed goodbye to his seventies', though I agree it will probably shorten your life he may still live past his 70's. How old is his dad? I'm sure James has said in the past that he was a heavy smoker too.
Old 14-12-2009, 20:33
Doors slowly closing

Plus I have to add that a lot of people end up with cancer when they lead healthy lifestyles. For example a friend of mine, never smoked, always jogging/bike riding, only drinks socially a couple of times a year. Blam, cancer.
Old 14-12-2009, 20:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyManic View Post
Plus I have to add that a lot of people end up with cancer when they lead healthy lifestyles. For example a friend of mine, never smoked, always jogging/bike riding, only drinks socially a couple of times a year. Blam, cancer.
James' heavy smoking + his mom dying of cancer at a relatively young age puts him at great risk. He also apparently eats a lot of high cholesterol foods, which doesn't help your overall health, and lends greatly to not only heart disease but colon cancer. However, at least he does apparently still run, which should help to counteract that issue a bit.

Sure, you don't have to run around in traffic to get hit by a car, you could be standing on the side of the street and it happen, but you have to admit it greatly increases your chances.

That's all I have to say on the subject. He's gonna do what he wants to do, but it is a shame he's greatly increasing his chances of having some serious health problems in the not-so-distant future. However, as long as he can still keep up making great music and singing his little heart out, the rest is none of our business.