Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 28-10-2009, 12:21
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
As for his voice not being affected by smoking, I'm not sure either how it's managed to hold up, but I would disagree that his voice hasn't changed over the years.
I agree - his voice is VERY different to the older stuff, especially live stuff from back in the early 90's (pre-THB), his voice was much higher pitched, much lighter, not just singing but his speaking voice. Like the interview bit here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjMIaCeYOlc. Now it is not necessarily any deeper pitch, but definitely more gravely, typical of a long-time smoker. And though his voice is absolutely killer now, and very very strong still, he really showcases it better acoustically because he isn't jumping around and doing big screams, getting more winded. For instance, during 'Your Love Alone' on the album he sings the "eno-ou-ough", "woooorld" etc. parts straight through whereas live he has to break the words up with a little "yah" in the middle, if that makes any sense. I'd bet partly from years of smoking, partly from jumping around on stage...

They say smoking makes a singer's voice "better", puts that coating of crap on their throats and somehow makes their voices better/stronger, but the drawback is that it takes your lung power down incredibly, so over time while the voice is less "pitchy", you can't hold the note as long, if any of that makes sense.

James' voice is amazing, hopefully he will cut back/quit smoking and hang onto it.
Old 28-10-2009, 12:30
Winterlover

who cares !
Old 28-10-2009, 15:22
A self-made vacuum

Would've thought it - the benefits of smoking, hey?
Old 28-10-2009, 15:41
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Personally I think his voice is pretty poor now live, also he always gets 'the cold' on a long tour, I would say its more the smoking than the cold which is the problem.
I don't know. I think as long time fans we notice these things more because my brother, who isn't familiar with the Manics, was absolutely in awe of James' voice when we saw them live a few weeks back and my bro is a musician. He liked the music, but he couldn't stop talking about how amazing James' vocals were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Inconspicuous View Post
Now that the subject has been brought up, I was wondering when Richey started on the ciggies, In his biography, Rob Jovanovic suggests it was only in 1993, which I was a bit surprised at. I had always assumed he had started as a teen, I suppose mainly because of the line in Spectators of Suicide and because he always seems to have been so physically slight...
Good point, but who can say why he did what he did? I'm not sure even the band understood half the things he tried. Maybe it had a lot to do with boredom. That's the only thing I can think of.
He was smoking a cig in the 1990 Heavenly promo film, but it looked more like a prop in that one so...
Old 28-10-2009, 15:57
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
That's what I thought, perhaps to the point that I was surprised when I saw him with a cig in his hand after hearing/reading about him cutting it out/down.
Well, I know for a fact that he still smokes even if only on occassion. Saw him smoking after the Toronto gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesean4ever View Post
who cares !
I kind of agree with this statement. He's a grown man and if he chooses to smoke, that's his business. Bringing up his mother's heartbreaking battle from cancer (which had nothing to do with smoking), just seems a bit shallow. If he smokes, he does so because he has his reasons. Most of us have our vices anyway so it really isn't cool to pass judgement on others. Not that I'm saying anyone really is, I just wanted to throw that out there.

As for blaming his percieved constant sickness on smoking, well, all I can say is I smoke and other than the cold I had a few weeks ago, I haven't been sick in years. Smoking definitely prolongs illness but I don't think it weakens your immune system as some seem to be implying. I'm more inclined to believe he has a naturally weak immune system when it comes to viruses and meeting people - shaking hands, receiving kisses, etc - while on tour makes him suseptable to contracting viruses easily. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating smoking in anyway - it's a totally vile habit to have! Just say no, kids!
Old 28-10-2009, 16:15
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext37 Fielding View Post
James smokes Marlboro Light 100's.
Aw dammit, another Malboro Lights smoker! Those cigs are going to be
the death of four vocalists from my favourite bands

*sparkle and believe*
Old 28-10-2009, 17:45
Born to end

James is a great singer and could put out an unforgettable performance if his throat was replaced with soggy newspapers. Fantastic rhythm and phrasing - guess he had to learn that with all those jam-packed early lyrics. Any occasional flat performance these days is I'm sure just down to if he doesn't really fancy the job on the night.

But heavy smoking does reduce your vocal options. OK, it's thrilling to realize you can sound like Louis Armstrong if you want to but if you lose both your Minnie Ripperton and your Aaron Neville as part of the bargain that sucks.
Old 28-10-2009, 20:48
Under neon loneliness

You can definitely tell James smokes from his singing voice. When he isn't using so much power singing he can sound a little nasal which is the result of cigarette smoke. It seems to damage both the upper and lower parts of the vocal range. Ken Stott's voice shows the same effects of smoking.
Old 28-10-2009, 23:36
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
He's a grown man and if he chooses to smoke, that's his business
Oh I'm not condeming it, i was just curious to when he started and how its effected him. Each to your own i say.

Hrmm maybe his voice just got stronger as he grew older? I mean like untill GT.
Old 28-10-2009, 23:57
Winterlover

I remember and interview with James in which he stated that he had never noticed his voice being influenced by smoking.

But this is impossible I think and it would be great to hear he stopped it
Old 29-10-2009, 10:09
Stretched out in the sun

I might've dreamt it, but I'm sure James tore up a packet on stage at Newcastle 2002 saying he was quitting?
Old 29-10-2009, 10:13
Knowlede Is Power

I think you dreamt it, mate
Old 29-10-2009, 10:15
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I might've dreamt it, but I'm sure James tore up a packet on stage at Newcastle 2002 saying he was quitting?
aye it was my bloody packet aswell the thieving get
Old 29-10-2009, 10:33
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooserevenge View Post
I think you dreamt it, mate
I dunno... Off to S+V brb.
Old 29-10-2009, 13:15
Freed from the century

He's tried to quit several times but it never seems to take. Poor guy is hooked through the gills.