Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-09-2021, 21:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Preach. Such a good album hiding in there.

I attempted this but couldn't limit it to 10. Sorry not sorry.
Also in no particular order:

Broken up again
Kiss my eyes for eternity
I'm leaving you for solitude
I know the numbers
Empty motorcade
T.e. lawrence on a bike
Concrete fields
What happened to the blue generation
Time ain't nothing
Blistered mirrors
Holding patterns
Red rubber
Are there any good rips of TE Lawrence on a Bike and What Happened to the Blue Generation?
Old 14-09-2021, 22:02
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_PhoenixFactor View Post
Are there any good rips of TE Lawrence on a Bike and What Happened to the Blue Generation?
Not having a record player i'm pretty sure i just grabbed them off youtube at the time. I checked 7digital but don't see them on there.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 14-09-2021, 22:04
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
You can ask why was this left off and oh that's why left off the album with some of these.
Old 14-09-2021, 22:05
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

What I love about PFAYM b-sides is that they sound like they were composed in an environment where every idea is given the go ahead because they were never going on the album anyway. It also off James utterly workman approach to music making. I'm pretty sure if you gave him 10 lyrics a gave him a day to make an album, it would be pretty good and interesting albeit a bit rough.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 14-09-2021, 22:17
Doors slowly closing

Well you wanted a list tzb! This might jog some memories for others too. Would welcome any I've missed! Didn't include remixes (both the Warm Digits and Public Service Broadcasting Hold Me Like a Heaven remixes are particularly good though, IMHO).

It's really a top 13 and then some more. If I'd answered a day ago I wouldn't have 2 TUVL bonus tracks to contend with and if you exclude covers that would make 10! The defence rests, your honour.

1 Mirror Gaze
2 Kodawari
3 Broken Up Again
4 Empty Motorcade
5 See It Like Sutherland
6 The Last Time I Saw Paris
7 What Happened to the Blue Generation
8 Red Rubber
9 The Endless Plain of Fortune (cover)
------------------------------------------
=10? These Dark Roads
=10/11? Holding Patterns
=10/12? My Drowning World
=10/13? Midnight Sun
Very close but no cigar:
| Distractions | Feels Like Heaven (cover) | T.E. Lawrence On A Bike | I Know the Numbers | A Soundtrack to Complete Withdrawal |

Others in my rough order of preference:

| Ostpolitik | Evidence Against Myself (... To Itchycoo Park.. !) | It Will Take More Than A Grave To Bury You |
| Together Stronger (C'mon Wales) (but I mean it is what it is, it defies ranking to some degree IMHO) |
| Anti Social Manifesto | We Were Never Told | Slow Reflections/Strange Delays (Ohhhh what a lonely boy....! ) |
| Before I Leave | The Sound of Detachment | Concrete Fields | Death of a Digital Ghost | Melancholyme |
| Wake Up Alone (cover) | Caldey | Start Me Up (cover) | Time Ain't Nothing | Inky Fingers | Blistered Mirrors |
| Lost Voices (In my-y-y-y-y life, I wanna sound like a Beatles song...) | Kiss My Eyes For Eternity | The Passing Show |
| Rock 'N' Roll Genius | I'm Leaving You For Solitude - (Hey Jude, don't be sad, it's the Manics, they like a B-si-i-ide) |
| Engage With Your Shadow |

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---

Last edited by Porco; 14-09-2021 at 23:01. Reason: Knew I'd miss at least one! hah
Old 14-09-2021, 22:24
Under neon loneliness

Thanks for all the responses! Porco, I knew I could count on you
Old 14-09-2021, 22:28

In no particular order:

Broken Up Again
Red Rubber
Distractions
Midnight Sun
Death of a Digital Ghost
Last Time I Saw Paris
Empty Motorcade
Caldey
The Sound of Detachmemt
Mirror Gaze
Old 14-09-2021, 22:30
Winterlover

This is going to be a tough list but I'll give it a go - in order of preference:

1. A Soundtrack To Complete Withdrawal (one of the best Manics tracks ever for me and would have improved RIF immeasurably).
2. Midnight Sun
3. Distractions
4. Lost Voices
5. The Passing Show
6. Kodawari
7. See It Like Sutherland
8. Death Of A Digital Ghost
9. Together Stronger
10. Empty Motorcade

Tracks that just missed out: Mirror Gaze, The Last Time I Saw Paris, Caldey, Kiss My Eyes (Arse) For Eternity.

Feels Like Heaven would have easily made the top 10 but I didn't really want to include covers.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ

Last edited by FacelessSenseOfVoid; 14-09-2021 at 22:37.
Old 14-09-2021, 22:34
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Well you wanted a list tzb! This might jog some memories for others too. Would welcome any I've missed! Didn't include remixes (both the Warm Digits and Public Service Broadcasting Hold Me Like a Heaven remixes are particularly good though, IMHO).

It's really a top 13 and then some more. If I'd answered a day ago I wouldn't have 2 TUVL bonus tracks to contend with and if you exclude covers that would make 10! The defence rests, your honour.

1 Mirror Gaze
2 Kodawari
3 Broken Up Again
4 Empty Motorcade
5 See It Like Sutherland
6 The Last Time I Saw Paris
7 What Happened to the Blue Generation
8 Red Rubber
9 The Endless Plain of Fortune (cover)
=10? These Dark Roads
=10/11? Holding Patterns
=10/12? My Drowning World
=10/13? Midnight Sun
Very close but no cigar:
| Distractions | Feels Like Heaven (cover) | T.E. Lawrence On A Bike | I Know the Numbers | A Soundtrack to Complete Withdrawal |

Others in my rough order of preference:

| Ostpolitik | Evidence Against Myself (... To Itchycoo Park.. !) |
| Together Stronger (C'mon Wales) (but I mean it is what it is, it defies ranking to some degree IMHO) |
| Anti Social Manifesto | We Were Never Told | Slow Reflections/Strange Delays (Ohhhh what a lonely boy....! ) |
| Before I Leave | The Sound of Detachment | Concrete Fields | Death of a Digital Ghost | Melancolyme |
| Wake Up Alone (cover) | Caldey | Start Me Up (cover) | Inky Fingers | Blistered Mirrors |
| Lost Voices (In my-y-y-y-y life, I wanna sound like a Beatles song...) | Kiss My Eyes For Eternity |
| Rock 'N' Roll Genius | I'm Leaving You For Solitude - (Hey Jude, don't be sad, it's the Manics, they like a B-si-i-ide) |
| Engage With Your Shadow |
I think you may have forgotten The Passing Show! (I think there was also another Nicky b-side, the title of which started with the word Time...) *EDIT: Time Ain't Nothing....*
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Old 14-09-2021, 22:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
*EDIT: Time Ain't Nothing....*
I included that.

Some great stuff in porco's list i would easily include and if we're going obscure then what about it will take more than a grave to bury you? For that miners memorial i believe.

Edit: Yeah, the senghenydd memorial commemorating various mining disasters.

https://soundcloud.com/patrickjonesp...e-than-a-grave
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 14-09-2021, 22:43
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I included that.

Some great stuff in porco's list i would easily include and if we're going obscure then what about it will take more than a grave to bury you? For that miners memorial i believe.
Oh yeah there was that thing they did for Patrick's play in 2016 as well - the title escapes me but I think the play was about dementia or something.

Old 14-09-2021, 22:53
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
Oh yeah there was that thing they did for Patrick's play in 2016 as well - the title escapes me but I think the play was about dementia or something.
Before I Leave.

https://youtu.be/pxMILcdWs-M
Old 14-09-2021, 22:54
Doors slowly closing

Thanks folks, will update list. Most of this stuff was in my music library so I could filter the search to get most of it, but some must have escaped. I even remember doing a personal rip of Time Ain't Nothing but can I find it now?! I think it's 'cos I got a new computer at the time, they must have slipped through the cracks, and then the Patrick Jones stuff didn't get official releases I don't think.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 14-09-2021, 23:24

All right!

1. My Drowned World -- stellar chorus, one of the best nicky songs ever, almost as good as Dying Breeds
2. Empty Motorcade -- biggest chorus of its era, best representation of the sound if its era; weirdest omission ever that it's not on the album
3. Red Rubber -- all around incredible song, very well handled subject material, the start of JDB's fruitful experimentation with multi-rhythmic segments, a super catchy riff I've been whistling for the last 10 years
4. Kiss My Eyes For Eternity -- pure 24 carat gold, their own Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You, it kills me these songs are not on albums... fuck it's even got a solid middle 8 followed by a great little solo and the piano reminds be of Suede Sci-Fi Lullabies b-sides
5. Ostpolitik -- When the piano riff kicks in its pure bliss for me, very special vibes, great name too, somehow illustrates it perfectly, one of their best instrumentals, a small and compact piece of subtle joys; I feel if this got lyrics it coulda been even amazinger
6. What Happened To The Blue Generation? -- this song is sad as fuck, the story of their youthful fantasy of being the blue generation that changes everything... nice sound, nice everything, I listened to this a lot and now it makes me sad to think about it. sound's a little b-sidey but not bad
7. Midnight Sun -- technically a KYE b-side, but still. a sadly unfinished and amazing song. incredible feeling in JDB's voice during that era. reminds me of (the also amazing) Just A Kid
8. Holding Patterns -- good chorus on this one, pretty japanese feeling melody, topped off by a TOWERING guitar solo, verse lyrics a little week, but not a big problem.
9. T.E. Lawrence On A Bike -- wackiest thing they've ever recorded, sounds like its (perfect!) title. Love it! T.E. Lawrence on a fuckin bike, mate. story of my life
10. Caldey -- very very good verses, rhythmically strong bouncy feeling, let down by a slightly less stellar chorus; still good stuff, nice lyrics too, a little foreshadowing of TUVL sound even

Honourable mentions:

Last Time I Saw Paris -- also good, but it doesn't feel like a manics song, honestly.
Broken Up Again -- sounds a bit like Empty Souls but lacks that Lifeblood sheen, and for some reason doesn't reach me emotionally (though I usually love this kind of stuff.)
Concrete Fields -- nice going but a little too "joke song" for me, Nicky sounds hilariously old with his municipal worries, an octagenerian is hipper than this (which is good, but somehow the jokeyness keeps it from reaching my heart; another foreshadowing of TUVL "parents record collection" sounds though
Mirror Gaze -- cool shit but the sound's a little busy/cramped in the chorus
Hold Me Like A Heaven (Public Service Broadcasting & Warm Digits remixes) -- best remixes of the decade for them. honourable remix mentions both. thanks for ppls in this thread for suggesting them. hadn't even heard them!

All and all incredible music. I've enjoyed listening to these more than did RTF, RIF, PFAYM, and about as much as Futurology and TUVL

Last edited by Marat Sar; 15-09-2021 at 00:43.
Old 14-09-2021, 23:25
Knowlede Is Power

1. Kodawari
2. Empty Motorcade
3. Engage with your shadow (not trolling. Genuinly love it!)
4. Red Rubber
5. Broken Up Again
6. Ostopolitik
7. Concrete Fields
8. Death of a digital gohst
9. The Sound of Detachment
10. My Drowning World