Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-07-2014, 19:52
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
While we're at it, what is a 'misguided tweet'? What constitutes 'sad Facebooking'?

Does Nicky mean 'sad' as in 'unhappy' or as in 'you need to get a life mate'? If so...
I don’t think that is a bad lyric at all, I don’t think it’s supposed to be read alone. It gets its meaning from the rest of the chorus, which forms one strong image/statement.

Just my thoughts from the song about meaning, to me I take those lyrics like this (hope these are the right lyrics ) :
Misguided tweets – (1) People often read something on the internet and base their opinion on very little and inaccurate information. It then gets spread as fact and people are misguided about the views they form. So you repost/retweet without thinking. You ‘support’ a charity for example, by sharing their post appeal for donations, but don’t actually donate yourself.
(2) People expose so much of their lives freely online, not thinking of how they’ll be perceived.

Sad facebooking – I feel like it’s an observation of how people often behave now when out with friends. People don’t get the full experience of life, because they need to tell everyone about it. It’s almost automatic whenever something good happens, people feel the need to tell others and get validation. You don’t privately feel happy about life anymore, everyone needs to know. People often go on a night out and spend lots of time updating their status or uploading photos because they feel a need to prove or show others that they’re having fun. By feeling compelled to tell everyone about the fun you’re having, you are actually missing out on the real fun.
For me, these lines really get their meaning from the others in the chorus.

Look up to the skies- avoid the casual litter – take a wider look at the world around you and don’t get bogged down with what everyone else is doing – once you do you’ll see it’s completely irrelevant to you and your life.
Running from the pitiful nihilism – wanting to escape the thing (social media) which takes the meaning out of what you are doing. The pointlessness of needing everyone to know everything you are doing.
The cheapness surrounds me – the way that everyone constantly needs to say what they are doing, no matter how trivial cheapens the experience for everyone.

But I’m not looking – to me this sounds really defiant. It’s a refusal to pander to those people who seek attention constantly and to validate them. They are going to ‘look up to the sky’ and experience life for themselves, doing exactly what they want to do – not what others would approve of.

The song to me is a refusal to get sucked in to the shit that social media throws at you and makes you believe it is important. It’s about reclaiming your life from the petty stuff that everyone else is doing and to which you compare yourself to.
Old 16-07-2014, 20:21
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaitheanhorn View Post
I don’t think that is a bad lyric at all, I don’t think it’s supposed to be read alone. It gets its meaning from the rest of the chorus, which forms one strong image/statement.

Just my thoughts from the song about meaning, to me I take those lyrics like this (hope these are the right lyrics ) :
Misguided tweets – (1) People often read something on the internet and base their opinion on very little and inaccurate information. It then gets spread as fact and people are misguided about the views they form. So you repost/retweet without thinking. You ‘support’ a charity for example, by sharing their post appeal for donations, but don’t actually donate yourself.
(2) People expose so much of their lives freely online, not thinking of how they’ll be perceived.

Sad facebooking – I feel like it’s an observation of how people often behave now when out with friends. People don’t get the full experience of life, because they need to tell everyone about it. It’s almost automatic whenever something good happens, people feel the need to tell others and get validation. You don’t privately feel happy about life anymore, everyone needs to know. People often go on a night out and spend lots of time updating their status or uploading photos because they feel a need to prove or show others that they’re having fun. By feeling compelled to tell everyone about the fun you’re having, you are actually missing out on the real fun.
For me, these lines really get their meaning from the others in the chorus.

Look up to the skies- avoid the casual litter – take a wider look at the world around you and don’t get bogged down with what everyone else is doing – once you do you’ll see it’s completely irrelevant to you and your life.
Running from the pitiful nihilism – wanting to escape the thing (social media) which takes the meaning out of what you are doing. The pointlessness of needing everyone to know everything you are doing.
The cheapness surrounds me – the way that everyone constantly needs to say what they are doing, no matter how trivial cheapens the experience for everyone.

But I’m not looking – to me this sounds really defiant. It’s a refusal to pander to those people who seek attention constantly and to validate them. They are going to ‘look up to the sky’ and experience life for themselves, doing exactly what they want to do – not what others would approve of.

The song to me is a refusal to get sucked in to the shit that social media throws at you and makes you believe it is important. It’s about reclaiming your life from the petty stuff that everyone else is doing and to which you compare yourself to.
perfectly put
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 16-07-2014, 20:41
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Autumnsong is the worst lyric by a million million miles. Their worst single and most pointless song.
I love the lyrics to Autumnsong!

*ducks!*
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-07-2014, 20:45
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I love the lyrics to Autumnsong!

*ducks!*
*brings some sandbags*

I love Autumnsong too !
Old 16-07-2014, 20:52
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderliner View Post
*brings some sandbags*

I love Autumnsong too !
*High fives!*

*hides in bunker!*
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-07-2014, 20:53
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkymotown View Post
"And Brian Warner has a tasty little ass"

A) Marilyn Manson - just no.
Awh. That line always makes me smile. Not least cos I remember the band once recalling how Marilyn had offered them drinks backstage and assured them them he hadn't poisoned them

He's not bad Marilyn The deeper interpretation could be how everything is reduced and dismissed by sex.....

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

That perches in the soul
Old 16-07-2014, 21:18
Knowlede Is Power

I love both autumnsong and the brian warner has a tasty little ass line!
Old 17-07-2014, 04:06
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
I kinda don't like the lyrics to Razorblade Beat.
Old 17-07-2014, 06:33
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac X Lee View Post
I kinda don't like the lyrics to Razorblade Beat.
Agree - behave yourself baby is much better

Old 18-07-2014, 11:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

Like the Godfather 3
I never can escape.

I thought the song was good until that line. cant bring myself to give it a second listen.
Old 18-07-2014, 22:41
I live to fall asleep

"We've all killed some ants/ All had broken plans" - how random and pointless is that? And does everyone apart from myself (or everyone from South Wales) really go around killing ants? And wtf is that supposed to mean in the context of the song? If it was "plants" instead of "plans" it could at least pass as a comment on a diy gardening disaster.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 18-07-2014, 23:10

Actually I was thinking about opening a thread on this topic after hearing "Futurology" (the song) for the first time. And I have to say I'm astounded that some people seem to find it hard to come up with bad Manics lyrics or Manics lyrics they dislike, because, as much as I love the band and the music and their mission and whatnot, I think Nicky's lyrics tend to be either brilliant or completely disastrous. There are numerous lines that make me cringe every time I hear them; usually they're the ones that are rather simple and direct, instead of THB-cryptic. Suppose you might say they're "honest" and "heartfelt", but to me some of them feel like he was just desperately trying to come up with a rhyme. Also, there are lines that just don't go well with the music when it comes to rhythm or the stressing of syllables.

Anyway, here are some of my all-time "favourite least favourite" Manics lyrics:

- pretty much all of Let Robeson Sing, but in particular: "the CIA says you're a guilty man / will we see the likes of you again", "a giant man with a heavenly voice / MK Ultra turned you paranoid", and the chorus ("a voice so pure, a vision so clear")
- "Oh mummy, what's a Sex Pistol?": AAARGHHH!!! Once would have been enough, is it really necessary to repeat this line over and over and over again?
- Futurology: "we've all fallen prey / to keep the wolves at bay"; "one day we will return / no matter how much it hurts / and it hurts"
- Stow Hill: not the "sad facebooking" part, but "you can still see the bullet holes" - always reminds me of a tour guide going: "And now, coming up on your left, we have building xyz. If you look closely, you will notice that you can still see the bullet holes!" And everyone going "Ah!" and "Oooh!" and taking pictures.
- Underdog: "This one's for the freaks / for you're so beautiful". Mainly because I doubt Manics fans today are as "freaky" as they may have been back in the days...

I'll stop now... Many more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
Likewise SPLAM contains the lyrics "We could have been heroes, but failure is more fun" (great) and "Upload your future, download your past" (shit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post
*thumbs up*

Great lyric indeed.
Great line, yes, but certainly "inspired by" (*cough*) Bowie and/or Bright Eyes? ("I could have been a famous singer, if I had someone else's voice, but failure's always sounded better, let's f**k it up boys, make some noise!" - Road to Joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
"We've all killed some ants/ All had broken plans" - how random and pointless is that? And does everyone apart from myself (or everyone from South Wales) really go around killing ants? And wtf is that supposed to mean in the context of the song? If it was "plants" instead of "plans" it could at least pass as a comment on a diy gardening disaster.
Haha, I actually thought it was "plants" when I listened to it for the first time on Spotify before I actually bought the physical copy of the album/before I had the lyrics. I even posted it on FB (something along the lines of "you gotta be kidding, Wire! REALLY?!?"). But yeah, I preferred the plant version. As for killing ants: not sure everyone's done it on purpose (I don't think I have, softhearted person that I am, haha!), but we step on them all the time, so there.
Old 18-07-2014, 23:16

Quote:
"We've all killed some ants/ All had broken plans" - how random and pointless is that?
Dunno, "a magnifying glass with questions left to ask" makes it kinda cute for me. So there's a little line about torturing ants in there. To me it's kinda Die In The Summertimey, whole day spent throwing sticks in the stream, but a bit crueler. Seeing as it begins with "defenders of the faith with cruel hearts" and has a streak of hurt running through it.

Anyway, makes sense to me as a metaphore for admittal of cruelty and cruel curiosity.

Also, by now, I REALLY LIKE THE TWEETS/FACEBOOKING LINE. I'm happy they did it.

If I'd have gone for a weak line off Futurology, it would have been "I am a misguided missile", but that too has taken on a new meaning after Ukraine last night.
Old 19-07-2014, 06:04
Freed from the century

I was trying to think of a more poetic meaning to the ants line and settled on them being people who seem insignificant to us who we 'kill' through paying more attention to our schemes and plans than to them.

Also, the whole of Symphony of Tourette is terrible. Especially "Children can be so cruel she said/So I smashed her in the fucking head" and "Fuck you fuck you I grunt and groan".

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 21-07-2014, 18:16
Winterlover

Quote:
isn't it just a metaphor for carelessness....we don't always intend to be cruel we don't always look where we're going or take the time to look who or what we might be stepping on, and we let ourselves down but we try if only by trying to ask the right questions and hold a magnifying glass up to truth

along those lines for me anyway

That perches in the soul