Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-11-2009, 16:25
Builder of routine

I'm glad you clarified that.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:53
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
If Boba Fett wrote that I'd give him an extra 10 marks.
"Life saver", not "lightsabre".
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52
Doors slowly closing

Taken 10 days of work randomly because I found the idea of not going to america to see the Manics unthinkable, even though I'd just done most of the UK tour and two festivals.

Being on a coach to Boston an hour after I'd decided to go, with no ticket and no hotel. That was also quite weird.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmanics View Post
I've allowed someone I'd never met before to feed me a Mars Bar to indulge her fantasy of "playing Nicky & Richey." That one was particularly weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Wow.

Conversely, someone I know has never agreed to wear a 'Suicide Babies' shirt with me, in fear I'll lead her into "playing Nicky & Richey"
Oh dear, haha...this is what I'm sort of afraid of, which I've brought up elsewhere, cause if we can find the right clothes and there's a cool party going on or something, a friend of mine and I are totally going to dress up as GT-era Nicky and Richey for Halloween next year (I would've done it this year but the inspiration hit me too late). I'm scared of what ideas might come over me, since I sort of fancy this guy slightly!

Here's my tl;dr story: I think that most of the stuff I've done is typical of a fan, like saving lots of pictures, getting to a gig, setting up a website, writing fics, making GIFs/wallpapers, etc., but the stranger thing about it is most of my Manics madness has occurred only since July of this year. I heard JFPL in May and reviewed it immediately for my music blog because I loved it, but before that I'd heard the Manics in 2005 because of Robert Dimery's 1,001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die book - I'd never heard of them before. I heard THB on Free Napster and liked it, but didn't really do anything about pursuing the Manics further and had no idea what they looked like (?!?!). Just last year I got into them again and heard EMG, the Forever Delayed compilation, and SATT, which I think was triggered by reading something about Richey on the NME site but my memory is a bit fuzzy on this, and sort of started saving pictures and watching the music videos - I recognized having seen pictures of Richey elsewhere before, and I wished I would've done something about finding out what band he was part of sooner!

Hearing JFPL caused me to go back and listen to all of the rest of their albums, except for KYE which I avoided until recently since I got warned against it several times.
Getting on Tumblr in the summer this year is what really threw me into a mania, but it's actually because I was doing a best-looking-guys-of-the-90s list (shallowness ahoy, that is me alright XD) and I looked up Richey and Nicky and saw all the Manics folk on Tumblr! And so my journey truly began...

Somehow, from July to the present, I have (not necessarily weird things, just...swiftly occurring!):
- accumulated several thousand Manics pictures
- have all the albums / solo / (nearly) all b-sides
- developed a huge affinity for Nicky (it was just Richey before, I hadn't given the Wire a second look until seeing *this*, I kid you not!)
- co-run three Manics-related Tumblrs
- started my own link directory site
- written several fics (and probably read all the ones already in existence!)
- went to a gig just in the nick of time for the North American tour
- made a fair amount of wallpapers/GIFs
- got back into lurking Livejournal
- converted a couple of people into Manics fanatics (including a guy who didn't care much for them but after hearing THB high-tailed it to one of the Canada gigs )
- EDIT: forgot to add, made a sappy Richey/Nicky tribute video - my first time using Windows Movie Maker!
- joined FD
- encountered a bunch of cool people that are fabulous to chat with and get to know!

Last edited by MarilynRoxie; 09-11-2009 at 10:34.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:44
I am purity, they call me perverted

i went to see one of RS Thomas' last poetry appearances/recitals purely because i knew him from the Manics (which my then beaux mercilessly took the piss out of me for). Not like i evenm really liked RS THomas...

(FYI, it was to celebrate the opening of the RS Thomas post-grad research scholarship thingy at my then-University, Bangor)
Old 09-11-2009, 13:07
Winterlover

The time I saw them 47 times in a year still takes the biscuit that was just silly - but it was because for about four years before you could just do everything they did easily so there was that mindset where you just did it, then when they upped their game I didn't think to question it and I don't like missing things (I tend to either be the laziest person in the world or completely over the top), but then the next thing you know its all gotten ridiculous.

Also the weird but you don't realise it things like if you've been on tour too long suddenly you can't see anything wrong with sleeping on the streets, buying a cup of tea in your pyjamas, wandering around dressed like a christmas tree. Once I was buying a sandwich in M&S and wondered why I was getting funny looks and actually had to stop, look what I was wearing and then the penny dropped.

Then theres things like when I was young apart from visiting an uncle once we just went on holiday in the UK so I'd never travelled or flown or that kind of thing, but I've seen the manics in 19 different countries, thats kinda odd I guess. But so much of what probably seems down right ridiculous to other people just seems natural to you - like I can't imagine taking a day off work for any other reason, just seems a waste, I know if I'm stood there with a holiday form to get signed the next question will be where are they playing.

And we've sent Wire some fucking bizarre post in our time.
Old 09-11-2009, 13:28
Winterlover

See, I was thinking that I haven't done anything particularly weird because I'm a Manics fan - but then realised that's because I just spend so much time with Manics fans that my sense of perspective is completely screwed up.
Old 09-11-2009, 14:40
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola17 View Post
See, I was thinking that I haven't done anything particularly weird because I'm a Manics fan - but then realised that's because I just spend so much time with Manics fans that my sense of perspective is completely screwed up.
Win!!!

Amanda: care to share any of the "fucking bizarre post"??
Old 09-11-2009, 15:16

This isn't something that's happened yet, but might - my husband and I are still on the fence about having kids, but if we do we'll most likely try in about two years. Which is the same time frame that the Manics had promised to tour North America again. I have already told my husband that if we do decide to have kids at that point, the process may very well be planned around a future Manic Street Preachers tour so that I don't have to miss seeing them in concert because I'm however-many-months pregnant and/or have a newborn we need to look after.
Old 09-11-2009, 15:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola17 View Post
I think thats almost scarier when you lose track that you're being weird, maybe weird isn't the right word perhaps idiosyncratic or something as its not like a single weird thing its just when you take it all together. Every now and then its nice to have a bit of a reality check though - it doesn't stop me from being weird, I just think maybe wont share that fact with normal people.

Its definitely easier when theres other people being equally strange though - like somehow dressing up ridiculously on your own you feel self-conscious but if theres two of you doing it identically (which prima facie is far more weird) it feels much less odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post

Amanda: care to share any of the "fucking bizarre post"??
Ha ha, really no - it was embarrassing enough last time and we only coordinated that!
Old 09-11-2009, 15:23
Stretched out in the sun

No one's made the obvious 'fucked God up the ass' post.

Come on people, get your acts together!

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 09-11-2009, 15:29
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
I think thats almost scarier when you lose track that you're being weird, maybe weird isn't the right word perhaps idiosyncratic or something as its not like a single weird thing its just when you take it all together. Every now and then its nice to have a bit of a reality check though - it doesn't stop me from being weird, I just think maybe wont share that fact with normal people.

Its definitely easier when theres other people being equally strange though - like somehow dressing up ridiculously on your own you feel self-conscious but if theres two of you doing it identically (which prima facie is far more weird) it feels much less odd.

Ha ha, really no - it was embarrassing enough last time and we only coordinated that!
Oh, I definitely don't share the Manics weirdness with other people. Most people don't even know I like them--not that I keep it a secret really, it just doesn't come up in conversation at all. I guess I confine all the Manics fan activity to FD...so you all are very lucky people indeed.

And that's ok, I bet he loved it no matter what!! XD
Old 09-11-2009, 17:02

I don't think I'd call it weird, but I would call is a testament to my MSP loyalty and how protective I am of them, but I did actually directly criticize a member of another of my favorite bands via Twitter because he made the comment "Where is @richeymanic, that is the real question..." The reason I criticized him is because @richeymanic is some fake Richey Edwards profile on twitter, that I don't think anyone with fans should be pointing those fans in the direction of giving that faker any credibility. The person who I criticized himself has openly spoken of his disgust for people making fake profiles claiming to be HIM so I thought it was very wrong of him to point people in the direction of someone faking a profile of another person. It was childish of me, really, and I would never ever otherwise directly send a musician that I admire anything other than nice things to say, but in this case, I got my back up a bit.

That's really all I can think of... Oh, and I probably check this message board 50 times a day, that's pretty weird.
Old 09-11-2009, 17:27
Builder of routine

Actually joining a Manics fan forum is pretty weird, but also feeling comforted by being able to talk to people who share the same passion as me over a forum strikes others as a little odd though it feels natural to us.
Old 09-11-2009, 17:35
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Taken 10 days of work randomly because I found the idea of not going to america to see the Manics unthinkable, even though I'd just done most of the UK tour and two festivals.

Being on a coach to Boston an hour after I'd decided to go, with no ticket and no hotel. That was also quite weird.
Christ almighty, are you a Duchess?