Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-10-2007, 18:00
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
i don't mean to sound agressive, by the way!
Not at all. It's all good fun. This banter stops me doing proper work.
Old 22-10-2007, 22:10
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouLoveMe View Post
It is aimed at Manics fans.

I often struggle with interpreting lyrics but tom me it seems entirely obvious that MATC is addressed to old/hardcore fans.
Who else could lines like "Success is an ugly word / Especially in your tiny world" be aimed at?
I do love the song but mainly on musical grounds...
Old 23-10-2007, 09:20
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

It's You Love Us part two - around the time they first played it was when the NME & music press had a big Manics backlash because they reckoned the Manics had become boring & just another band. Also that some of TIMTTMY sounded defeatist and like they'd lost it.

Most of it's a sarcastic response to the music press, some of it like the 'our hate is yours to feed upon' is a call-to-arms aimed at getting the fans.

Anyone remember the 'Too Many Festivals' t-shirts from summer 1999? Same sort of sarcasm.
Old 23-10-2007, 17:01
Freed from the century

Agree with the 'you love us mk2' ideas but also its a lot like complete control by the clash, a one off single about the band with a storming guitar solo
'you're my guitar heroooo'
Old 25-07-2009, 02:56
Builder of routine

The fans/Press/Richey, IMO.
Old 25-07-2009, 02:58
Banned

its aimed at rich people who never have to seriously contemplate what its really like to be broke
Old 25-07-2009, 03:10
Builder of routine

Aaaand the press
Old 25-07-2009, 08:46
Builder of routine

to be honest I don't like analysing the lyrics by myself, only to read the interpretations by the others and Masses was one of my very first favourite songs by the Manics

Last edited by Deets; 18-10-2009 at 10:32.
Old 26-07-2009, 12:12
Bored of being bored

"We love the winter, it brings us closer together"

Winter tours... playing to the real fans who are in the front row, not the 'mondeo crowd'?

Maniac Street Preachers
Condemned to Rock N Roll
Old 26-07-2009, 13:14
Winterlover

Tis a bit of an up yours to the critics of This Is My Truth but also it seems a broader dig as well at the cultish fans and the endless questions they were still getting as to why they continued/should they have continued/was it not disrespectful to continue (tired of giving a reason when the future is what we believe in.) There's always that thing as to whether or not you can keep your integrity and be very successful, achieve fame ... they've sounded a lot more commercial/accessible from This is my truth onwards and they were slated for that but (Can you feel like it was before or are you lost for evermore) ... people needed to stop judging them in terms of some imagined what could have been - cos it couldn't have been anyway, it couldn't have continued down The Holy Bible road had Richey stayed, he wouldn't have been well enough to ... messed up & dead on alcohol down that route.

Anyway masses against the classes - taking the side of the majority over the elite, welcoming the success and up yours to the snobby petty criticisms and I love that line 'We love the winter, it brings us closer together' - it's like revelling in the being pushed out into the cold - freeze us out and we'll just draw closer together against the cold, we'll become stronger
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 27-07-2009, 02:25
I am purity, they call me perverted

"We're the only thing left to believe in" - I like to think it's asking why they were having to respond to so much criticism when all the other bands are shit compared to them and got an easy ride
Old 27-07-2009, 08:52
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Tis a bit of an up yours to the critics of This Is My Truth but also it seems a broader dig as well at the cultish fans and the endless questions they were still getting as to why they continued/should they have continued/was it not disrespectful to continue (tired of giving a reason when the future is what we believe in.) There's always that thing as to whether or not you can keep your integrity and be very successful, achieve fame ... they've sounded a lot more commercial/accessible from This is my truth onwards and they were slated for that but (Can you feel like it was before or are you lost for evermore) ... people needed to stop judging them in terms of some imagined what could have been - cos it couldn't have been anyway, it couldn't have continued down The Holy Bible road had Richey stayed, he wouldn't have been well enough to ... messed up & dead on alcohol down that route.

Anyway masses against the classes - taking the side of the majority over the elite, welcoming the success and up yours to the snobby petty criticisms and I love that line 'We love the winter, it brings us closer together' - it's like revelling in the being pushed out into the cold - freeze us out and we'll just draw closer together against the cold, we'll become stronger
Spot on, I think. It's not a bad lyric, think the rage is a bit lame at times, seems like Nicky only really wrote one draft. I quite like lines like "our love is unconditional, our hate is yours to feed upon", which might actually be a reference to the fans or the band themselves.

The line "we thought you were our friends" is pathetic though! Makes me think of Nicky having a tantrum. "boo-hoo, they said naughty things about TIMT!"
Old 27-07-2009, 09:29
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongerthanmensa View Post
Makes me think of Nicky having a tantrum. "boo-hoo, they said naughty things about TIMT!"
How i love that image

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 27-07-2009, 15:05
Builder of routine

I wonder how it would've done if it hadnt been the first single after TIMTTMY. Many bought it on faith I'd guess..especially as it was a limited release. I like the song but I wouldn't put it in my Best Of. Don't think its much cop as a number 1 and almost always forget it reached the top spot. I prefer it live i guess but if they booted it off the setlist forever i wouldnt care really
Old 27-07-2009, 16:34
Winterlover

But of course there's the reassurance at the beginning, before the fans think they are being completely blasted: "...We're still so in love with you, and yes we mean it too..."