Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-09-2021, 14:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

I can see why they picked the singles they did, but they might be among the weakest on the album for me.

I love Diapause, Complicated Illusions and Still Snowing in Sapporo. Some of it is... okay? I think what really sets it apart is a real sense of cohesiveness.

Been enjoying it so far.
Old 07-09-2021, 14:54
Doors slowly closing

I bought 7 copies of this... that’s dedication for you
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 07-09-2021, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
As usual I’ve decided to rank the tracks.

1. Blank Diary Entry. It’s Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit by way of Rewind the Film.

2. Diapause. A welcome respite from the onslaught of shallow radio jingles that precede it. Carries on where Even in Exile left off to the point where you have to wonder if Patrick wrote the lyrics because they’re not that bad.

3. The Secret he Had Missed. I always had a soft spot for it and it sounds clearer here than on the YouTube video. The drums sound less like they were taken from Sean’s underwater Everything Must Go sessions. I mean, it’s shit but it’s catchy shit.

4. Into the Arms of Love. It’s the promised R.E.M. with added hints of Big Country. Sod it, I’ll take it and would rather this be on Know Your Enemy than the flat out plagiarism of The Year of Purification.

5. I’m really struggling here.

The first track is six minutes long. I’ve been crying out for longer songs so should be grateful but I didn’t mean do another six minutes of The Everlasting. What the fuck?
I also wanted to like Quest for Ancient Colour at the start but it devolves into slime and gives up on itself fast.
I was onboard with Afterending until the la la las. Then I was very much out.
Happy Bored Alone is okay from JDB but come on Nicky, you’ve scraped through the bottom of the barrel.
Complicated Illusions and Don’t Let the Night Divide Us are super mega shite. Right down there with the most embarrassing half-assed mating calls to Radio 2 they’ve done.

Now let’s all go back to listening to Halsey’s new album.
WOW, that was quite a big pile of arrogance to read through... I feel a bit stained, but I think this won't bother a person, who's that blatantly self-indulgent as you are.
Old 07-09-2021, 20:30
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
No it's cool, Dancing Kirby is beautiful!
Old 07-09-2021, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas De Staλl View Post
WOW, that was quite a big pile of arrogance to read through... I feel a bit stained, but I think this won't bother a person, who's that blatantly self-indulgent as you are.
Is this satire?
Old 08-09-2021, 16:59
I live to fall asleep

I hate to say this but I just don’t like it. Orwellian is the only track that gets a positive thumbs up. For me it’s all very same-y and lacks any real passion or drive. I adore Lifeblood, always have and I just can’t see any links or comparisons at all. I appreciate the “pop” feel to it but don’t get it. It has some good, interesting lyrical content but it’s wasted by extremely similar tempo across tracks and no real diversity within the album. You can tell James wrote it on a piano, and that’s a new way of writing for him. I think there would have been far more scope, change in rhythm, pace and direction if he’d been writing on a guitar.

Maybe I’m too used to the boys being a bit ragged throughout an album and loving that quality. I can’t see any of these tracks being played live outside of this tour. When you consider the amazing back catalogue of tracks that never get to be heard I just can’t see any of these making it past Christmas…

I really wanted to love it, but I don’t.
Old 09-09-2021, 16:17
Freed from the century

Listened to it twice. Kind of passed me by the first time, several times I suddenly realised the tracks had changed. Hoping it's more of a grower. One of the tracks reminded me of 'Dead Tress and Traffic Islands', at least in its feel. Or i might be losing it.
Old 09-09-2021, 18:57
Winterlover

Still snowing in sapporo: i'm not really getting what people see in this track, it's nice enough but i was expecting moore.

Orwellian: still feel the same way about this - it's alright but i still don't like the theme of it.

The secret he had missed: still love this, it sounds properly expansive when listened through higher quality.

Quest for ancient colour: this the hp lovecraft homage, yeah? Really quite an unusual track though, i like it a lot.

Don't let the night divide us: one of the few tracks that isn't defeatist in its words, they are clunky but it's rousing and very manics.

Diapause: like the polar opposite of the previous track? But i like it a lot actually, i will always have a place for resigned, defeatist, everything is fucked manics.

Complicated illusions: really love this, one of my top favourites on here so far.

Into the waves of love: there's a third act twist in this which is so brazen in its pink floyd-esque sound that i can't decide whether it's genius or just awful.

Blank diary entry: i've never been a great fan of the duets with male singers but this is great i think, it's so world weary that you can imagine willie nelson singing it. Actually, i wish it was willie nelson.

Happy bored alone: lovely chorus and i really don't mind the songs about nothing, we've had plenty of those over the years.

Afterending: i like it and was prepared to hate the "la la las" but it's kinda earned isn't it? I mean, when he's singing about sailing into the abyss adding the "la la las" adds a bit of dark sense of humour that i appreciate.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

Last edited by Tim; 09-09-2021 at 20:24.
Old 09-09-2021, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Blank diary entry: i've never been a great fan of the duets with male singers but this is great i think, it's so world weary that you can imagine willie nelson singing it. Actually, i wish it was willie nelson.

The one kind of male-male duet that works for them: JDB's sprightly highs and a nice low baritone. Same reason Rewind the Film is so nice. JDB works with almost all female voices (though the synergy with that Sunflower Bean girl on TSHHM is exceptional) but only lower register male singers.

BDE is a nice little song. Anyone else get weird holy bible vibes from this? The locusts, something in the chorus and the shapeshifting parts too... The latin guitars give me a little Too Cold Here vibes...
Old 09-09-2021, 20:10
Doors slowly closing

Between the Clock and the Bed was low key the best song on Futurology.
Old 09-09-2021, 21:21
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:39
Bored of being bored

Quote:
100%.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:06
Born to end

is it me or does it sound like they've used the same guitar lick on multiple songs? not sure the muso term for it but think of the solo at the end of recuerda.

maybe I should be kind and call it a 'motif'? it's also there in the piano chords at the start or Orwellian
Old 10-09-2021, 09:17
I live to fall asleep

Just completed first listen and aside from the singles that I have played to death, nothing really jumped out or sounded much different to each other. Think best one for me on first listen was perhaps Don't Let The Night Divide Us. Anyway, time for a second full listen now, will concentre on it more and not do anything else Sure by the end of about play through 3/4 I'll really like the album haha, usually the case with new Manics material.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:20
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
is it me or does it sound like they've used the same guitar lick on multiple songs? not sure the muso term for it but think of the solo at the end of recuerda.

maybe I should be kind and call it a 'motif'? it's also there in the piano chords at the start or Orwellian
There’s at least one solo that sounds like an EIE song on there
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)