Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-09-2021, 21:19
I live to fall asleep

We are really going down the Japanese rabbit hole here tonight! Loving it!
Old 13-09-2021, 21:24
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Life Becoming a Landslide's music video was taken from a Japanese concert wasn't it?

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 13-09-2021, 21:28

Archives of Pain references Japanese serial killer Yoshinori Ueda.

Old 13-09-2021, 21:44

Me and Stephen Hawking has Japanese spoken in its intro.

Old 13-09-2021, 21:53

Do International Blue and Hold Me Like a Heaven get on the list for having a Japanese actor on them?

Just four more albums to go!

Old 13-09-2021, 22:32
I am purity, they call me perverted

There's a Japanese flag in Theme from Mash
Sean has a Yamaha drumkit in Revol
Old 14-09-2021, 07:35
Bored of being bored

People are forgetting MSP are an old band, its not 1998 anymore in that sense & by then there were 5 LP's 2 without Edwards etc the sound/directions changed alot.

Post THB, some LP's are good/average, some poor & a few very good. Lifeblood is excellent to me but poor Live, I did not see them on RIF tour because I didn't like the LP so much nor wanted to hear the same old boring Singles.

I still support them but I'm not waiting for a comeback from them because they've not gone anywhere.

Last edited by The Crow; 14-09-2021 at 07:38.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:52
Desire on its knees

I’m generally a fan of most things Mark Lanegan attaches himself to (Soulsavers’ ‘Revival’ probably being the pinnacle); but having finally listened to the album in full and at volume in the car yesterday, him and JDB just seem completely mismatched vocally.

Never thought I’d say this, but I think I’d prefer Nicky to have handled the vocals on this one - could easily hear his voice contrasting well with Lanegan’s.
Old 14-09-2021, 08:18
Desire on its knees

Some other full volume car thoughts:

As much as I enjoy Sapporo, it outstays its welcome by around a minute and a half.

Don’t Let The Night surprised me a little - I’d written it off through my handful of listens over the week, but hearing it on the road… I dunno, it’s got that Out of Time bounce to it, the chorus is mega cheesy, but sounds good at speed… maybe if I just “la la la” out loud over the Eton line, I might even come to like it?

If released, Complicated Illusions is doomed to become one of those classic later Manics singles that, as much as I play it to mates to prove that “the band still have it in them to do massive songs”, I’ll completely forget about within a year or so (see also - Hold Me Like A Heaven, Distant Colours, Anthem For A Lost Cause, Some Kind of Nothingness…)

Full listen confirms that Happy Bored Alone is probably my standout - it especially pops out following the ‘meh’ of Blank Diary Entry.

These Dark Roads should’ve been on the album proper, despite being probably the most straightforward dad rock thing they’ve done to date.
Old 14-09-2021, 09:42
Bored of being bored

I think there is certainly a hint of 2/3 demos from Even In Exhile here
Old 14-09-2021, 13:46
Doors slowly closing

Without wanting to reignite any of the previous arguments, I’m enjoying the album (mostly the first half, but I’m not sure about the production and mixing. I can’t work out if this is because I’m listening to it on a laptop (with decent headphones) or because it’s Dave Eringa, whose style I’ve never got on with. But yes, is it supposed to sound quite as murky?

Have you seen her, have you heard/the way she plays there are no words/to describe the way I feel
Old 14-09-2021, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
Some other full volume car thoughts:

As much as I enjoy Sapporo, it outstays its welcome by around a minute and a half.

Don’t Let The Night surprised me a little - I’d written it off through my handful of listens over the week, but hearing it on the road… I dunno, it’s got that Out of Time bounce to it, the chorus is mega cheesy, but sounds good at speed… maybe if I just “la la la” out loud over the Eton line, I might even come to like it?

If released, Complicated Illusions is doomed to become one of those classic later Manics singles that, as much as I play it to mates to prove that “the band still have it in them to do massive songs”, I’ll completely forget about within a year or so (see also - Hold Me Like A Heaven, Distant Colours, Anthem For A Lost Cause, Some Kind of Nothingness…)

Full listen confirms that Happy Bored Alone is probably my standout - it especially pops out following the ‘meh’ of Blank Diary Entry.

These Dark Roads should’ve been on the album proper, despite being probably the most straightforward dad rock thing they’ve done to date.
I kind of agree with the Sapporo thing, it’s one of those 50/50 do we need another chorus type situations. Perhaps they could of gone for the final chorus instrumentally - maybe some epic brass or strings as a middle ground compromise.

The Eton line had me cringing on the album teaser snippet, but I think it works fine in the song. It helps that it’s part of a very clever and effective little bridge which gives a very upbeat number a bit of contrast.

Interesting comment about “Complicated Illusions”. Having messed around with it a bit on the piano I think it will still stand up in a few years as both the verse and chorus are very strong. But I do know what you mean, about the band not quite being able to nail that sort of enduring anthem.
Old 15-09-2021, 19:50

On first listen, I enjoyed the range of sounds - not only were the obviously touchstones of TIMT, Lifeblood and RTF in there, but I was pleasantly surprised to be reminded of EMG b-sides and even KYE in places (particularly The Year of Purification and Epicentre).

Song-for-song, I like about half of it on first listen, which is how I felt about RIF on first play. That said, there's some stuff there that's obviously going for a very '70s pop vibe with some of the chord sequences, and that's not really my kind of thing, so I do think it might be a struggle for me. But I definitely enjoyed some of it, so that's more than I got from the late '00s albums on first play.