Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-09-2021, 10:41
Stretched out in the sun

TUVL: Your First Listen Thoughts

As the title suggests basically; after only one listen all the way through, what do you think of The Ultra Vivid Lament?

My own instant reactions to each track:

- “Still Snowing In Sapporo” is an absolute belter. Easily the best thing on the album by a wide margin.

- “Orwellian” actually works a lot better in the context of the album’s overall sound.

- “The Secret He Had Missed” is still rubbish. Sorry.

- “Quest For Ancient Colour” doesn’t feel like it’s going anywhere at all but once it takes off, it’s quite beautiful and lush.

- “Don’t Let The Night Divide Us” sounds like a mixture of ABBA and a rejected Queen b-side. Shite.

- “Diapause” is slightly misleading. It starts with the echo and atmospherics that instantly remind you of Lifeblood and feels like it’s going to go that route. But it doesn’t. I’m undecided about whether or not I like where it does go. This might be a grower.

- It gives me absolutely no pleasure to say this but “Complicated Illusions” is basically “Autumnsong 2”.

- “Into The Waves Of Love” is a fucking mess. Seriously. It’s all over the place stylistically.

- I was really looking forward to “Blank Diary Entry” because I love Mark Lanegan’s voice but this is just terribly bland.

- “Happy Bored Alone” has got a fantastically catchy chorus and the instrumentation is very strong. Reminds me of the few tracks I love from RIF. Just a shame it’s not longer.

- The one thing “Afterending” has going for it is James’ hilarious pronunciation of the word comfortable as “come-for-tubble”. Other than that, it’s doing nothing for me right now.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:27
Doors slowly closing

For anyone wondering; the answer is Spotify US and Amazon (streaming) US
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:48
I am purity, they call me perverted

*It gives me absolutely no pleasure to say this but “Complicated Illusions” is basically “Autumnsong 2”*

Autumn Song rocks! Sounds like it’s gonna be a corker. Is there an Underdogs soundalike by any chance? �� Seriously though, if the last half dozen Manics albums have taught me anything it’s to temper my expectations. If I can play the album all the way through without wanting to throw something at the speaker then I’ll consider it a triumph (in fact that’d probably put it in my top 10 records of the year). And any band on their 14 the album has earned the right to record the odd Queen B-side, be rude not to surely.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:22

You couldn't post a spotify link? I'm running through a vpn but search isn't bringing it up
Old 03-09-2021, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
You couldn't post a spotify link? I'm running through a vpn but search isn't bringing it up
If you're trying Spotify, you'd need a US registered account to be able to access the album.
Old 03-09-2021, 13:19
I live to fall asleep

SO the album is out then a week early in places. I'll wait if I can haha, and just enjoy listening to the two singles so far
Old 03-09-2021, 13:20

Just on my third listen so here are my thoughts so far

- “Still Snowing In Sapporo” - best album opener since 1985. Love everything about it. Amazing melody, instrumentation. Sounds like a mix of the best moments from rewind the film, even in exile and this is my truth

- “Orwellian” - great Manics single. As Mr Richey said, in the context of the album it works even better.

- “The Secret He Had Missed” - great for the most part. I think the verse and Pre-chorus outshine the chorus though.

- “Quest For Ancient Colour” - starts out with just JDB on piano sounding like queen, then moved into a so why so sad vibe but with a better chorus melody. Amazing guitar solo from James even if he has stolen the intro riff to spirit of the radio by rush.

- “Don’t Let The Night Divide Us” - not a fan of this. It’s pleasant enough but doesn’t really go anywhere and the melody for the chorus just grated on me. Worst song on the album for me

- “Diapause” - great atmospheric verses. Nice tempo change for the chorus too. James is sounding great on the album. His vocals are on point. The chorus has a beautiful, heartbreaking melody. More great guitar work from James. Very Jazzy solo

- “Complicated Illusions” - I’ve had the chorus stuck in my head since the live version from Victorious and the album version did not disappoint. It’s probably the most ‘Manics’ song on the album. I only wish it had more of an outro

- “Into The Waves Of Love” - this could have sat on know your enemy. It’s somewhere between the year of purification and so why sad. It gets a bit strange with the wailing female vocal but again great chorus. Lots of melody on this album

- “Blank Diary Entry” - this sounds like the quieter moments from Riot Act era Pearl Jam. Which for me is great. Again, interesting instrumentation for the Manics. Very understated track that grows on the more you listen.

- “Happy Bored Alone” - very ABBA. Great guitar from JDB again. Massive chorus. It’s a great song but one I feel I will get bored of quicker than the rest

- Afterending” - probably my favourite song on the album. There is just something about the chorus melody and James vocals that really hit me emotionally at the moment. Great album closer

All in all, they have nailed it for me. There are not many big ‘singles’ on the album which I tend to get bored of easily but It works as an album and will be one that I will play from start to end when the mood takes me. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of guitar solos too. The album has some of James most interesting playing. I look forward to the Japanese bonus tracks
Old 03-09-2021, 15:38
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Don't Let The Night Divide Us = Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Old 03-09-2021, 15:44
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Not going to say much until after the proper release but After Ending has some serious Great Western vibes and I'm fucking loving it. If I would put a word on this album, I would use 'uplifting' which hasn't been applicable since Everything Must Go.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 03-09-2021, 16:36
Stretched out in the sun

Putting the music aside for a moment, I think this album has the weakest lyrics since PFAYM. Wire just sounds like he’s given up, has nothing to actually say and therefore just writes about being bored or having writers block etc
Old 03-09-2021, 17:12

Diapause is beautiful and I never expected that. I love the album. This will help me sleep; that's a good thing
Old 03-09-2021, 17:49
Knowlede Is Power

Diapause is so moving 3rd listen of album...its so melancholy but upbeat with some beautiful moments

Chelsmford V99
Reading + Leeds 2001
Manchester Apollo 2001
Manchester MEN (Hits)2002
Manchester MEN 2004
Preston guildhall 2005
Winter WonderLand 2006
Gmex 2007
Blackburn St George 2010
Ritz Manchester 2014
Cardiff Castle 2015
SWANSEA LIBERTY 2016
Times Square 2017
Manchester arena 2018
Halifax Piece Hall 2021

Old 03-09-2021, 19:03
Bored of being bored

too early to review other than to say that sapporo is the best track.
and........ what were they thinking with "don't let the night divide us"? ... shocking
Old 03-09-2021, 19:16
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
too early to review other than to say that sapporo is the best track.
and........ what were they thinking with "don't let the night divide us"? ... shocking
Probably my favourite, what’s wrong with it?
Old 03-09-2021, 19:37
Doors slowly closing

As usual I’ve decided to rank the tracks.

1. Blank Diary Entry. It’s Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit by way of Rewind the Film.

2. Diapause. A welcome respite from the onslaught of shallow radio jingles that precede it. Carries on where Even in Exile left off to the point where you have to wonder if Patrick wrote the lyrics because they’re not that bad.

3. The Secret he Had Missed. I always had a soft spot for it and it sounds clearer here than on the YouTube video. The drums sound less like they were taken from Sean’s underwater Everything Must Go sessions. I mean, it’s shit but it’s catchy shit.

4. Into the Arms of Love. It’s the promised R.E.M. with added hints of Big Country. Sod it, I’ll take it and would rather this be on Know Your Enemy than the flat out plagiarism of The Year of Purification.

5. I’m really struggling here.

The first track is six minutes long. I’ve been crying out for longer songs so should be grateful but I didn’t mean do another six minutes of The Everlasting. What the fuck?
I also wanted to like Quest for Ancient Colour at the start but it devolves into slime and gives up on itself fast.
I was onboard with Afterending until the la la las. Then I was very much out.
Happy Bored Alone is okay from JDB but come on Nicky, you’ve scraped through the bottom of the barrel.
Complicated Illusions and Don’t Let the Night Divide Us are super mega shite. Right down there with the most embarrassing half-assed mating calls to Radio 2 they’ve done.

Now let’s all go back to listening to Halsey’s new album.

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 03-09-2021 at 19:40.