Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2021, 10:41
Stretched out in the sun

TUVL: Your First Listen Thoughts

As the title suggests basically; after only one listen all the way through, what do you think of The Ultra Vivid Lament?

My own instant reactions to each track:

- “Still Snowing In Sapporo” is an absolute belter. Easily the best thing on the album by a wide margin.

- “Orwellian” actually works a lot better in the context of the album’s overall sound.

- “The Secret He Had Missed” is still rubbish. Sorry.

- “Quest For Ancient Colour” doesn’t feel like it’s going anywhere at all but once it takes off, it’s quite beautiful and lush.

- “Don’t Let The Night Divide Us” sounds like a mixture of ABBA and a rejected Queen b-side. Shite.

- “Diapause” is slightly misleading. It starts with the echo and atmospherics that instantly remind you of Lifeblood and feels like it’s going to go that route. But it doesn’t. I’m undecided about whether or not I like where it does go. This might be a grower.

- It gives me absolutely no pleasure to say this but “Complicated Illusions” is basically “Autumnsong 2”.

- “Into The Waves Of Love” is a fucking mess. Seriously. It’s all over the place stylistically.

- I was really looking forward to “Blank Diary Entry” because I love Mark Lanegan’s voice but this is just terribly bland.

- “Happy Bored Alone” has got a fantastically catchy chorus and the instrumentation is very strong. Reminds me of the few tracks I love from RIF. Just a shame it’s not longer.

- The one thing “Afterending” has going for it is James’ hilarious pronunciation of the word comfortable as “come-for-tubble”. Other than that, it’s doing nothing for me right now.