Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-06-2010, 15:46
Freed from the century

was given a promo of this today to 'review' for whatever supplier is picking it up and to decide wether we should stock it or not.

from the quick flick through i had earlier it looks a bit like the richey parts of 'everything' but with made up conversations around each notable incident.

will report back when i start it properly if anyone's interested
Old 14-06-2010, 17:30
Doors slowly closing

cool. I would be interested to know what it's like. I think i will just go and get Everything. I read it when it came out so could so with re-reading it.
Old 14-06-2010, 18:44
Freed from the century

iye, i really enjoyed 'everything'.
my copy is so tatty now!
Old 14-06-2010, 20:37
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcy0nzombie View Post
The actual voices in Richey's head - now that would be an interesting read.
It's Richey's mind, tbh I find it quite boring.
Old 14-06-2010, 22:06
I live to fall asleep

So when is this book out? I bought that one last year that came out and quite enjoyed it but dont think I'll be buying another one which will be the same old stuff.
Old 14-06-2010, 22:11
Freed from the century

the date on the back of my promo is 1st october
Old 16-06-2010, 02:38
I live to fall asleep

I was hesitant to post this here because I've seen some of you react very strongly to this whole thing and I really don't want to open myself up to harassment, but I suppose I'm gonna risk it, cos the main reason I'm even doing this is to get both sides to talk to each other in a civil manner.

Anyway, Ben has agreed to two interviews (one before the book is released [aka now] and one after [in October / November, probably]) with fans through the Richey website I run (http://cultofrichey.com).

Here is what I wrote on another site about all of this:

Quote:
Hello all,

I've been in contact with Ben Myers and he has agreed to two interviews from Richey / Manics fans. The first interview (this one) will be questions asked before the novel is released. The second interview will deal with questions that come after reading the novel (it's set for an October release).

If you want to participate in this first round of questions, please message me here. You may ask as many questions as you wish. I will edit them down before sending them to Ben ('edit' as in combine repeat questions and such, not leave anything out). Please include your first name and last initial with your questions. If you're uncomfortable with your real name, give me a username instead.

I will gather questions for about a week before I send them all off to Ben. I will keep you all updated on when I've stopped accepting questions and sent them off etc. Once I receive his replies, they will be posted over at the Cult of Richey website (and I will post here letting you all know when it's up).

In addition, I've just received an advance copy of the novel itself, so I will eventually post a full review of it.

I know many of you are nervous about this novel, so I hope all of this will help you feel a bit more at ease about it all, at least on some level. And, of course, I have to praise Ben for being such an awesome guy about all of this!
So, if any of you wish to participate, please PM me here within the next 5 days. I just ask that you only message me with questions you mean to ask seriously and in a civil manner. Also, I'd appreciate if more questions could be asked beyond what the family / band thinks etc. as that's been asked already.

Cheers.
Old 16-06-2010, 07:22
Builder of routine

I hope you get more (interesting) questions, I don't mean to be a naysayer, but how can one interview an author on a fictional book they haven't read? I'm a bit baffled.
Old 16-06-2010, 07:49
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeley View Post
I was hesitant to post this here because I've seen some of you react very strongly to this whole thing and I really don't want to open myself up to harassment, but I suppose I'm gonna risk it, cos the main reason I'm even doing this is to get both sides to talk to each other in a civil manner.

Anyway, Ben has agreed to two interviews (one before the book is released [aka now] and one after [in October / November, probably]) with fans through the Richey website I run (http://cultofrichey.com).

Here is what I wrote on another site about all of this:

So, if any of you wish to participate, please PM me here within the next 5 days. I just ask that you only message me with questions you mean to ask seriously and in a civil manner. Also, I'd appreciate if more questions could be asked beyond what the family / band thinks etc. as that's been asked already.

Cheers.
Good idea, I've PMed you.
Old 16-06-2010, 12:42
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
I hope you get more (interesting) questions, I don't mean to be a naysayer, but how can one interview an author on a fictional book they haven't read? I'm a bit baffled.
Me too =/

"True perfection has to be imperfect..."

Old 17-06-2010, 01:00
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Well, when I first was forming this idea and then approached him about it, what I was thinking people would most want to ask would be about his intentions with the novel, not anything about it specifically, obviously. I had a lot of questions myself, although probably half of them have been answered as I've been reading the book. I don't think this first interview will have too many questions, really, as there are only about a handful that I think people want to know about right now. I just saw the interest but wariness from fans and felt if I could open a line of communication between us and Ben, it would be beneficial to both sides. I really, really hate to see people slagged off without much of a reason, and that seems to happen quite often when it comes to anyone outside the band / family members who wants to use Richey as the subject of...well, anything.

Does that make more sense now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny View Post
Good idea, I've PMed you.
Thanks so much! I'll reply in a minute
Old 17-06-2010, 07:29
Builder of routine

Quote:
Well, when I first was forming this idea and then approached him about it, what I was thinking people would most want to ask would be about his intentions with the novel, not anything about it specifically, obviously. I had a lot of questions myself, although probably half of them have been answered as I've been reading the book. I don't think this first interview will have too many questions, really, as there are only about a handful that I think people want to know about right now. I just saw the interest but wariness from fans and felt if I could open a line of communication between us and Ben, it would be beneficial to both sides. I really, really hate to see people slagged off without much of a reason, and that seems to happen quite often when it comes to anyone outside the band / family members who wants to use Richey as the subject of...well, anything.

It does, thank you. Saying you got it makes me curious, are you going to do a sort of review?

Like you, most questions I have about the book are probably answered in the book. Have you gotten any questions of the 'What made you write the book?' sort? If not, I want to ask that. And also 'Were you influenced by the fan culture around Richey when writing the book?'

Last edited by Slideling; 17-06-2010 at 07:38.
Old 18-06-2010, 21:54
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
It does, thank you. Saying you got it makes me curious, are you going to do a sort of review?

Like you, most questions I have about the book are probably answered in the book. Have you gotten any questions of the 'What made you write the book?' sort? If not, I want to ask that. And also 'Were you influenced by the fan culture around Richey when writing the book?'
Yeah, I'll be posting a review after the first round of fan questions have been posted [which has no time limit I can give, as it depends on when Ben sends me back the replies]

The first question of yours has been asked, but the second one hasn't, so I'll include that on the list. Thanks!

Btw, what name should I credit the question to?
Old 19-06-2010, 10:17
Builder of routine

Just 'Richian', I guess. LOL
Old 20-06-2010, 01:17
Desire on its knees

Quote:

Thanks so much! I'll reply in a minute
Yeah =D

"True perfection has to be imperfect..."