Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-08-2014, 12:55
Doors slowly closing

Oh god. Stewie Griffin is all I will hear now.
Old 01-08-2014, 13:17
Doors slowly closing

Realised today that the phrase "Hatred and Failure" appears in this song and was also to be the title of the original "70 Songs of Hatred and Failure" concept that became RTF + F
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 01-08-2014, 19:44
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Pretty much sums up the band
Gosh, now that you put like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
See: Interiors
Interiors had emotional depth. BTC&B sounds like a Bee Gees outtake.

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 03-08-2014, 01:14
Born to end

Fantastic track, but it needs a new mix where that brilliant coda is duplicated after the first chorus. Don't know why the best bit was left as an outro (they did the same thing on a vision of dead desire a lifetime ago). I actually did a remix myself using some basic audio software as thanks to the choppy nature of the track it's quite easy to do. Would be a stellar single as it's so un-manics, apart from the lyrics of course!
Old 03-08-2014, 17:33
I live to fall asleep

[QUOTE=spaceboy;2612419Would be a stellar single as it's so un-manics, apart from the lyrics of course![/QUOTE]

Not having a poke at you, just a general observation - why is everyone on here so terribly thrilled whenever a song "doesn't sound like the Manics" or "sound exactly like xyz"? If I want to listen to stuff that doesn't sound like the Manics - I don't listen to the Manics! Simples. In that way, I can enjoy MSP songs, even if they accidentally sound like MSP songs. Which seems to be the minority of songs, now, anyway.

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 04-08-2014, 01:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachelorette View Post
Edvard Munch has deliberately made use of symbolism like the clock that resembles a coffin throughout his career, and this is his final self-portrait completed before his death, when he was already feeling rather feeble. So the interpretation of the clock (without arms) as a symbol of death is very likely. Even though the painting initially looks deceptively bright due to the use of colours.
What I don't understand is why you would set a lyric about such a bleak and sad painting to music that is suited for a seventies-disco-compilation.
I agree about the symbolism Munch used in that painting, but I do feel art is sometimes analysed far too deeply. I remember Paul Merton telling a story on Room 101 about the Lindsay Anderson film "If". The film switched from colour to black and white at one point and critics at the time lauded the film with the usual sperlatives ("visionary film making" etc), only for it to later to be rumoured that change had happened because they had run out of colour film.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52
Freed from the century

Quote:
Interiors had emotional depth. BTC&B sounds like a Bee Gees outtake.
Completely agreed. This is in my top 5 least favourite Manics tracks due to how cheesy the music is and how incredibly fucking annoying Green Gartside's smarmy voice is.

last.fm
NICKY WIRE'S BASSES
Cardiacs, song-by-song
Old 04-08-2014, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium Terrorists View Post
Completely agreed. This is in my top 5 least favourite Manics tracks due to how cheesy the music is and how incredibly fucking annoying Green Gartside's smarmy voice is.
I think it´s just the right kind of cheesiness. It´s Not War, for example, being the wrong kind. It´s stylish in it´s own way, sounds a lot like the swedish band kent, as someone mentioned somewhere. Oh, and Daft Punk´s RAM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:00
Born to end

Quote:
Not having a poke at you, just a general observation - why is everyone on here so terribly thrilled whenever a song "doesn't sound like the Manics" or "sound exactly like xyz"? If I want to listen to stuff that doesn't sound like the Manics - I don't listen to the Manics! Simples. In that way, I can enjoy MSP songs, even if they accidentally sound like MSP songs. Which seems to be the minority of songs, now, anyway.
Actually the fact that (to me anyway) the song sounds a bit un-manics isn't thrilling at all, I was merely pointing out that your typical Manics track is only going to do so much business chart-wise, but something like Between The Clock might endear them to a whole new audience if giver wide airplay. And that would be no bad thing!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
I think it´s just the right kind of cheesiness. It´s Not War, for example, being the wrong kind. It´s stylish in it´s own way, sounds a lot like the swedish band kent, as someone mentioned somewhere. Oh, and Daft Punk´s RAM.
It reminds me a bit one of the Manics' B-Sides, but I can't quite put my finger on which one.
Old 05-08-2014, 13:56
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
Actually the fact that (to me anyway) the song sounds a bit un-manics isn't thrilling at all, I was merely pointing out that your typical Manics track is only going to do so much business chart-wise, but something like Between The Clock might endear them to a whole new audience if giver wide airplay. And that would be no bad thing!
Ah, I'm with you now! That's an interesting (and sadly possibly true) thought you've got there.

Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 05-08-2014, 14:15
Bored out of my mind

I've got used to Gartside's voice now. Loving this song!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)