Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-04-2019, 10:20
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbag View Post
The poor lad couldn't even go for a wee after eating without us being told he could've been a purger because his teeth became janky.
Not saying that that is an indication of truth, but Simon Price noted it too in Everything.
Old 16-04-2019, 13:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideling View Post
Not saying that that is an indication of truth, but Simon Price noted it too in Everything.

He was smoking 60 fags a day though. That makes your teeth look janky even if you use Eucryl Smoker's Toothpaste.
Old 16-04-2019, 14:04
Builder of routine

Maybe, but I do wonder sometimes how it's been treated as the definitive biography on the Manics when a lot of it was personal opinion and interpretation as well. It's fair enough that people are skeptic about the new book, but I had seen Everything revered by people before. Maybe the fact that internet forums etc. were relatively new when it came out is a factor, I don't know.

Last edited by Slideling; 06-03-2020 at 11:03.
Old 16-04-2019, 17:11
Doors slowly closing

A lot of what’s said in Everything seems reasonable. Nicky says some of it isn’t right, but then he doesn’t have the monopoly on the truth either
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 16-04-2019, 17:17
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Nicky says some of it isn’t right, but then he doesn’t have the monopoly on the truth either
True.

Or, wait...

Old 16-04-2019, 17:55
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
A lot of what’s said in Everything seems reasonable. Nicky says some of it isn’t right, but then he doesn’t have the monopoly on the truth either
Pretty sure he admitted this with the title of the band's fifth album?

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 16-04-2019, 18:04
Builder of routine

Through a time machine.
Old 17-04-2019, 19:36
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
Round two

The book made me realize even more that the remaining members conducted themselves in a very respectful manner regarding Richey. Despite a few responses James said leaving me to believe he was in the anger stages of grief. I give him a pass as he is now always respectful to Richey and maintaining the band. They sent richey to hospital and visited every day, paid for his treatment, and gave him several options to decide ih should tour or not. I think they made the best decision to take Richey on the tour. They thought they were doing a good thing. On tour the band or crew looked after him. It would not be wise for him to go back to his apartment alone and maybe attempt again.

Having said that I guess I’ve been pretty naive about the band is the intense friction which may have lead him to quit. All I remember is Nicky saying he in December he began yo peak in his weirdness but seemed much better in January when they went to practice. Can anyone shed any more light on that or point me to article video about this.

I also keep thinking about the 2 weeks the car had been lived in. Did they take any fingerprints. I’ve said what I think and wonder if anyone will tell me their opinion.

I do some research on people’s breaking point. We all have one. For richey was it Bangkok, suicide attempt, just his mental state, his dog dying, last gig at the Astoria, something that happened in Jan, not being married or the 2 weeks spent with jo in the fall, dog dying, friend dying and manager. Perhaps it’s a combo but I believe he just snapped and could that have been prevented. Because one doesn’t typically happen when waking up thinking this will be my day. What do y’all think?
I don't think James needs a pass....I know what you're saying, I'm truly not having a go.....I think they and indeed anyone in similar situations are entitled to feel however they feel and not worry how it's interpreted by others or how you should or are supposed to feel because you can't control that. You wouldn't be human if you felt no anger and well it can all become about the person concerned but they effect those around them and that matters or should matter and too often gets overlooked, we're all human.....The band are in quite a unique position too being in the public eye and having their reactions analysed, that must be incredibly hard, incredibly....The failure to recognise that in the book is what particularly got to me.
And personally I feel it was the biggest tribute they could have paid him carrying on with the band

I can't recall the specific interview but yes they did say he seemed his old self in January but James has said that since then he's become aware that that is what can happen when someone has decided on something - be that to disappear, suicide, he maybe had made his mind up about something which is why he may have seemed more settled. But that's in hindsight at the time it must have just felt like one huge relief

Should he have gone on tour? I don't really think he should but that's not to blame the band as I don't think it was down to them at all .... the difficult thing is he was a free agent as ill as he was he'd been told it was up to him if he wanted to leave the hospital (though advised against) so it's hard...maybe he'd have been better staying with family but I don't know the family dynamics and it really was up to him. I feel the hospital should have made the decision to keep him in longer personally but that's just opinion worth no more or less than the next person's...I just wish the professionals would see the bigger picture not just the individual

I feel he had a plan of a kind, I don't think he just upped and left that day but I don't feel he had a clear plan and I think alone he really struggled and just couldn't come back once he'd set out on it...I'm of course not sure about anything, not sure if his plan was to take his life but I feel he struggled with that and in the end I personally feel that's what he did do but the fact he didn't do it straight away .... who knows what was going around his head and that must be something very hard for anyone close to him to accept....it's impossible to think about that and it not affect you so I really can't imagine how his sister feels and nor can I imagine how she can ever accept anything without proof. It seems impossible but somehow you need to find some kind of peace within yourself or how can you continue and as her brother he wouldn't have expected everything to be overshadowed by him I'm sure....maybe you need to reach back to some time before they were ill and remember that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy View Post
he seemed to be the type of character who had to be the best at everything he tried otherwise he wouldn't try at all.

i don't think that being a 'professional musician' when you can't really play your instrument would help your self esteem. there was a lot of bluster and bravado about that back in the early days but i can only imagine it got tiring for him especially when he compared himself with james. there must have been some resentment there?

from what i've read of the book and from the sky arts documentary it seems the band was pulling more towards an everything must go style record before he disappeared. the fault lines were there and already growing. i always assumed that EMG was inspired entirely by the disappearance. it seems the groundwork for the album was already there with no surface all feeling, elvis impersonator, kevin carter and small black flowers.

i can't imagine it was much fun for him at the end.

the band that he had helped grow and form was growing away from him.

he couldn't just sack the band and join Nine Inch Nails on a free transfer.

That's the feeling in the book laid on with chips...or something. But I just don't get that. I don't think he was around long enough for the schisms in the band's direction to really take a hold on him but yeah absolutely he was NIN (love them and the rest of the band were how do we pull back from the Holy Bible abyss - an album they're rightly proud of but of course if you want a long term future and you want to keep your sanity it's not sustainable. To me I feel it wasn't just musical differences it was friend's seeing their friend fall apart and you can't keep exploring that mindset through your music without kinda falling into the abyss yourself so more complicated than just musical differences is what I mean

Quote:
Maybe, but I do wonder sometimes how it's been treated as the definitive biography on the Manics when a lot of it was personal opinion and interpretation as well. It's fair enough that people are sceptic about the new book, but I had seen Everything revered by people before. Maybe the fact that internet forums etc. were relatively new when it came out is a factor, I don't know.
I'm not keen on Everything, I'm not keen on Mr Price but, well....let's keep things nice
I feel the band could do with a journalist taking on their biog who has no history with the band, isn't a fan, well, not a huge fan doesn't claim insider info...just a nice objective approach to the life and times
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 19-04-2019, 13:45

Book thoughts part 2

So Richey was jealous of every man Jo spoke to? Wow, yet he was talking to the press about groupies and getting a (possibly underage) handjob in Bancock? I don’t care if he made up his own rumours for effect, that is disrespectful and controlling. Poor Jo, and only a teenager at the time as well. I have heard that she was a strong woman and not a fan, but still, that relationship does not sound okay.

There’s a line in Drug Drug Druggy about Kurt and Courtney? Care to tell us which one? I’m surprised Symphony of Tourette wasn’t a premonition of Kurt’s death! And the Manics would have been huge in America if it wasn’t for Nirvana? I mean, maybe?

The quality of the writing is definitely getting worse as I read on!

I definitely second whoever said that Rosie Dunn should have been given the job, a tabloid crime writer who has been through treatment for alcohol use - it’d be great! Sad to read about the singer who was at The Priory too (I am pretty sure I have guessed who it is, actually I thought their identity was in the public domain), the insinuation that this person may have inspired Richey to do whatever it was that he did, that’s pretty hard (especially considering why he was there, and the particular struggles that the person I am thinking of has been through!)

Re an ASD diagnosis - this is close to my heart for personal reasons. I can see why the question arose in Rachel’s mind, but Richey had a diagnosis of BPD - that diagnosis accounts for his symptoms, and was made by doctors who assessed him. As to the bit about him going undiagnosed because he ‘learned female autism’, that is simply not how it works!

I’ve only got one chapter left, I think. The last chapter I read is just a waste of time. So Richey might have been planning a disappearance and left a load of clues... but some of the clues are about suicide as well... so we’ll brush over those. He might have been totally in control and planning every last move - or he might have been in the middle of psychosis, idk.

What bollocks!
Old 19-04-2019, 13:46

The big difference with Everything, in my opinion, is that Simon Price acknowledges that his version is subjective, and it is clearly written out of respect and fandom. I found it an entertaining read.
Old 19-04-2019, 18:33
Winterlover

Richard Fry, Richey’s friend from school who is discussed and quoted in the book, has filmed a video addressing how he was both portrayed in the book as well as being misquoted.

https://youtu.be/RrQmeRbzZIE
Old 19-04-2019, 21:38

^ poor guy - and the one thing I forgot to mention about the penultimate chapter, was the bit about the authors being enthusiastically approached by people, who then declined to talk. If everyone you meet is an asshole...
Old 19-04-2019, 22:39
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
Richard Fry, Richey’s friend from school who is discussed and quoted in the book, has filmed a video addressing how he was both portrayed in the book as well as being misquoted.

https://youtu.be/RrQmeRbzZIE
Thank you for the link!
Old 20-04-2019, 05:33

Quote:
Slideling.... long time,no? I’ve been waiting for you to add to the discussion and glad u r back in general, cheers!

Last edited by vaiden; 31-08-2019 at 22:27. Reason: Spelling
Old 20-04-2019, 22:49
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
I definitely second whoever said that Rosie Dunn should have been given the job, a tabloid crime writer who has been through treatment for alcohol use - it’d be great!
This woman is awful! Sharing stories about his treatment in The Priory? Some friend! I'm really disappointed that any of this was made public and this Rosie Dunn woman should be ashamed of herself for violating a patient's right to privacy regardless of whether that person is dead or not. It sets a dangerous precedent when people can't depend on the discretion of those they meet in therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Angel View Post
^ poor guy - and the one thing I forgot to mention about the penultimate chapter, was the bit about the authors being enthusiastically approached by people, who then declined to talk. If everyone you meet is an asshole...
I only posted it as an example of them stretching and inventing the truth to paint a certain picture of Richey. I can't imagine he's the only one who participated that's pissed off about being misrepresented and misquoted or the stories they've shared being completely re-worked to fit a certain narrative. Apparently he's writing a book himself which I presume is about his friendship with RE. Best of luck to him!

They probably were willing to talk about him especially given his sister's involvement, but it's obvious the Manics and Co. weren't happy about this book so these "insiders" withdrew their participation.